Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:15 PM   #26
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
There will obviously be exceptions. I was just basing my post off of my own experiences.
Oh, sorry! I wasn't saying that it was what most people did. I wasn't trying to state you wrong or anything.
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:34 PM   #27
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
Oh, sorry! I wasn't saying that it was what most people did. I wasn't trying to state you wrong or anything.
My apologies for the misunderstanding

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrududu View Post
Thats really what tablets are good for at this point IMO. In some cases, a tablet is OVERKILL for those tasks. At the end of the day there are still a lot of us out there that prefer a traditional computer interface and file system that tablets simply don't give you. Thats why i like using my tablet when I need some extended battery life and im just browsing the internet, but when I get off the couch and want to do anything else, its straight to a real computer.
Agreed. I will never give up a traditional machine.
TacticalDesire is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:45 PM   #28
zen.state
Banned

An iPad or any tablet is not a Mac so what good is it to someone who needs to run Mac software? A tablet is only a viable solution for the most basic of consumer users who only need web/mail/music/video and no particular OS or apps.

I personally have zero interest in ever owning one. I feel like a simple minded ape when I use iOS. To many it's amazing and advanced but to my mind it's very primitive. People are too caught up in dragging their fingers around and using the motion sensor to see how limited the tech really is.
zen.state is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:00 PM   #29
SkyBell
macrumors 603

Maybe someday I'll get a tablet, but for now PPC does everything I need and more, no reason to spend good money on something I don't need. And I like the keyboard/mouse(touchpad) interface much better; touchscreens are nice for navigating and whatnot I suppose, but they can become a bit cumbersome after a while, and don't even get me started on how much I despise virtual keyboards.

People buy tablets to mess around on the web and play games, and that's perfectly understandable. (I actually wouldn't mind having an HP Touchpad if I could, just to see what's supposedly so much better about tablets) I personally really only do light web browsing, maybe some medium-sized file downloading tops. Heck, I'm making this very post from a clamshell iBook running OS 9, there really isn't much I need power for.

But, I can't say I would recommend a PPC for someone needing to do YT/Flash based sites. It'll work, but probably not to their satisfaction, whereas I and many of us know the limitations these machines have and make do. Tablets are the future I suppose, but it's nice that PPC is still around and still very useful if you lower your standards slightly and know how to use them.
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:44 PM   #30
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen.state View Post
An iPad or any tablet is not a Mac so what good is it to someone who needs to run Mac software? A tablet is only a viable solution for the most basic of consumer users who only need web/mail/music/video and no particular OS or apps.

I personally have zero interest in ever owning one. I feel like a simple minded ape when I use iOS. To many it's amazing and advanced but to my mind it's very primitive. People are too caught up in dragging their fingers around and using the motion sensor to see how limited the tech really is.
I can agree with this one, they just feel so limited to me. Id take an older PPC machine over a tablet any day, and that's coming from a windows guy.

Tablets are cool, but I refuse to own one. I have one that my job GIVES me for when Im running around, with mobile internet and all that when Im out running out, and yeah, its better than a laptop for what I do with it, I can pop it out, get it done, pop it back in the bag.

So, for a couple of simple tasks that are just convenient, I love my work tablet ( its some kind of Acer ), its great for work. But for everything else, keep me away.
G51989 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 01:16 PM   #31
BlastoiseBlue
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to BlastoiseBlue Send a message via Yahoo to BlastoiseBlue
Having actually considered an iPad in my search for a temporary laptop replacement, I'd say there's still a place for the PowerPC Macs, but it's a niche market. Do I wish I had bought the iPad? No. Most of my favorite Mac designs are native to the PowerPC years, and even if my iBook G3 (Dual USB) is laggy and takes forever to start up, and the ancient OS X 10.1.5 has very few compatible applications and won't run Facebook or Youtube, I'm glad I bought it. (Though I would have much preferred a G4, or better yet a Blueberry or Tangerine clamshell.)

In my opinion, fans of older Macs will continue to buy the iBooks and iMacs. Maybe fewer people will buy them and prices will go down for a while before they turn into legit antiques and join the ranks of Apple IIs and Color Classics. This would be a good thing for me, as I still want to collect one of every color. :P

Last edited by BlastoiseBlue; May 4, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Reduntant phrase is redundant, also typo
BlastoiseBlue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 09:27 PM   #32
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastoiseBlue View Post
Having actually considered an iPad in my search for a temporary laptop replacement, I'd say there's still a place for the PowerPC Macs, but it's a niche market. Do I wish I had bought the iPad? No. Most of my favorite Mac designs are native to the PowerPC years, and even if my iBook G3 (Dual USB) is laggy and takes forever to start up, and the ancient OS X 10.1.5 has very few compatible applications and won't run Facebook or Youtube, I'm glad I bought it. (Though I would have much preferred a G4, or better yet a Blueberry or Tangerine clamshell.)

In my opinion, fans of older Macs will continue to buy the iBooks and iMacs. Maybe fewer people will buy them and prices will go down for a while before they turn into legit antiques and join the ranks of Apple IIs and Color Classics. This would be a good thing for me, as I still want to collect one of every color. :P
I was in the exact same situation when I bought my Clamshell . I'm not sure the later PowerPC's or any of the Intels will become antiques, though, because more people have started picking up Apples by then. It's true that they can do anything that they could when they were first made, obviously, but people want to do more with their technology, so it eventually makes an upgrade necessary (Also obvious). I, personally, don't really care for the changes in a lot of it, so I'm fine with using older technology, so I guess I might be a niche user. Actually, I was surprised Apple didn't package OS 9 with early versions of OS X, since OS X was really meant to be used along OS 9 a lot due to compatibility issues, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Maybe someday I'll get a tablet, but for now PPC does everything I need and more, no reason to spend good money on something I don't need. And I like the keyboard/mouse(touchpad) interface much better; touchscreens are nice for navigating and whatnot I suppose, but they can become a bit cumbersome after a while, and don't even get me started on how much I despise virtual keyboards.

People buy tablets to mess around on the web and play games, and that's perfectly understandable. (I actually wouldn't mind having an HP Touchpad if I could, just to see what's supposedly so much better about tablets) I personally really only do light web browsing, maybe some medium-sized file downloading tops. Heck, I'm making this very post from a clamshell iBook running OS 9, there really isn't much I need power for.

But, I can't say I would recommend a PPC for someone needing to do YT/Flash based sites. It'll work, but probably not to their satisfaction, whereas I and many of us know the limitations these machines have and make do. Tablets are the future I suppose, but it's nice that PPC is still around and still very useful if you lower your standards slightly and know how to use them.
I think people who would like to use YouTube and Flash a lot might be fine with a PowerPC actually, but only with Linux due to a couple applications that actually run YouTube pretty well. And Flash is starting to be used a lot less, especially with HTML5. I do not understand some web designers' choices with those kind of things, like wanting to have one of those animated, really laggy things just for using links, instead of just using an image. I've actually been using the mobile version of Facebook due to all of the changes to it that are completely slowing everything down. And now, even the mobile version is starting to become heavy-weight.
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   -4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs