Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:43 AM   #1
lancastor
macrumors regular

HTML5 Videos (YouTube etc.) crahes immediately

Since DP2 and also on DP3 the whole System crashes when playing HTML5 Videos. The screen is flickering and is unresponsive.

First I thought it's caused by the Flash Player. So I have completely formated my SSD and reinstalled Mountain Lion. But the issue still exists. The whole system crahes when playing a HTML Video. But it's only in videos in Safari. Playing videos with Quicktime or VLC works fine.

Does anybody noticed the same behavior?
lancastor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancastor View Post
Since DP2 and also on DP3 the whole System crashes when playing HTML5 Videos. The screen is flickering and is unresponsive.

First I thought it's caused by the Flash Player.
If youtube is set to HTML 5, it's not using Flash. This sounds like you should file a bug report with Apple.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:07 AM   #3
lancastor
macrumors regular

If I'm the only person with this problem, I think my NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is defective.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:02 PM   #4
FatGuy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
If I'm the only person with this problem, I think my NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is defective.
Nope, you're definitely not the only one. I've been having the same exact problem since DP2 and DP3. It seems it's gotten worse in DP3. I am also on Nvidia GeForce 9400M. This seems to be a driver issue (hardware accelerated video playback).

Fix: I just tried disabling hardware acceleration in Flash (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3863047), and videos no longer crash for me.

I don't think I ever had any problem with HTML5 playback though. Are you sure you're using HTML5? Not all videos support HTML5 on YouTube, even if you're in HTML5 beta. I recommend installing Flashblock.

But with hardware acceleration disabled, hopefully we won't experience another catastrophic video meltdown again.
FatGuy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:30 PM   #5
eagandale4114
macrumors 65816

Quote:

First I thought it's caused by the Flash Player. So I have completely formated my SSD and reinstalled Mountain Lion. But the issue still exists. The whole system crahes when playing a HTML Video. But it's only in videos in Safari. Playing videos with Quicktime or VLC works fine.

Does anybody noticed the same behavior?
Youtube and HTML5 on safari even on lion has gone south over the last few days. Google seems to have made a few backend changes that is causing a crapload of instability.
No it is not your nvida card. I have ati and its slow here.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:13 PM   #6
FatGuy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagandale4114 View Post
Youtube and HTML5 on safari even on lion has gone south over the last few days. Google seems to have made a few backend changes that is causing a crapload of instability.
No it is not your nvida card. I have ati and its slow here.
I believe OP is not referring to minor slowdowns. This is about a system crash. As in, it crashes the whole OS, kinda like BSOD of Windows, except instead of blue screen you get a corrupted screen with various flickery artifacts. The only way out is hard reset.

No app can or are allowed to do such a thing - which points to a driver-level / OS-level bug.

This doesn't happen on my Lion installation, only happens with Mountain Lion DP2 & DP3 (and maybe DP1 too, can't remember) - so it is not a hardware issue.

I haven't experienced any of these crashes after disabling hardware acceleration though.
FatGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #7
eagandale4114
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post
I believe OP is not referring to minor slowdowns. This is about a system crash. As in, it crashes the whole OS, kinda like BSOD of Windows, except instead of blue screen you get a corrupted screen with various flickery artifacts. The only way out is hard reset.

No app can or are allowed to do such a thing - which points to a driver-level / OS-level bug.

This doesn't happen on my Lion installation, only happens with Mountain Lion DP2 & DP3 (and maybe DP1 too, can't remember) - so it is not a hardware issue.

I haven't experienced any of these crashes after disabling hardware acceleration though.
Lion has been doing that recently. It has corresponded with youtue backend updates.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:47 PM   #8
andrewpturko
macrumors member

Same Issue

I have had the OP's exact issue. I first noticed it with Flash, so I installed the Safari extension, "Click To Flash", assuming it was only a software issue at the time. I then proceeded to watch a YouTube video with with "Click To Flash's" HTML5 conversion script. Yet again, streaming through Quicktime's HTML5 player, the entire system crashed. Even further so (and unlike the OP), I downloaded a video and played it via Quicktime X and, once again, my system crashed as the OP described it. This is most likely not a compatibility issue, the beta OS just has a few bugs to work out with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400, and upon myself and many others filling a bug report with Apple about this, everything should be worked out by the GM. Although disabling hardware acceleration does seem to help with the Flash based crashes, Mountain Lion currently has a problem with playing back video (via the NVIDIA GeForce 9400) throughout the system.

I only noticed this on both DP2/3. I have an iMac Early 2009 24" Model 9,1.

I should also note that this happens at a complete random, and is with all video sources tested (not specific to YouTube).

- Andrew

Last edited by andrewpturko; Apr 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
andrewpturko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:07 PM   #9
ajvizzgamer101
macrumors 6502a

I had that in DP2, but thank god not in DP3. DP3 is very stable for me, i might not update to DP4. I am cozy with DP3 But yeah file a bug report.
ajvizzgamer101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:36 PM   #10
JuicyJones
macrumors member

I have an AMD card in my iMac and Intel Graphics in my Macbook Pro, both load constantly on HTML5 Youtube and don't play the video. Flash works fine.
Old May 1, 2012, 02:11 AM   #11
illya
macrumors newbie

Flash playback -> OS crash

I have an issue, close to what andrewpturko described during the flash video playback my whole system crashes, everything except for the sound, becomes unresponsive, the screen goes corrupted and looks like this - https://skitch.com/strikhar/8aye6/sc...at-11.45.25-pm - and only hard reset helps.
I also installed clicktoflash, but that doesn't help, as videos are still flash after clicking, and even in quicktime player they crash.
I've just had hardware acceleration disabled and relaunched safari, didn't help.

Any more ideas how to get rid of the bug in this OS?
illya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:54 AM   #12
lancastor
macrumors regular

Currently there is only one solution available. Downgrade from DP3/DP2 to DP1.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:13 AM   #13
nightking
macrumors newbie

Anything changed after updating DP3 with current update?
nightking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:36 PM   #14
lancastor
macrumors regular

No crashes so far. Seems that Apple has fixed it.
lancastor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 04:06 PM   #15
Chris Grande
macrumors regular

Do any of you have Perian installed? If you do and use YouTube in HTML5 mode they default to using their horrible WebM format which isn't at all hardware accelerated and will kill your computer. Remove Perian and restart Safari.
Chris Grande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 04:29 PM   #16
nightking
macrumors newbie

Thanks for answer! In this case, I'm going to update DP3 and I'll post my feelings about it too.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:14 AM   #17
lancastor
macrumors regular

Crahes definitely fixed. No crashes yet since 24 hours.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:59 PM   #18
msft.guy
macrumors newbie

Still reproduces on DP3.1 (12A193i).
msft.guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 06:58 AM   #19
nightking
macrumors newbie

Everything is fine, 9400M on board, MacBook Aluminium. It crashed once yesterday but it wasn't because of flash/html5.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:24 AM   #20
The Prickly
macrumors newbie

I have this bug at iMac Early 2009 24" Model 9,1. And yes, Still reproduces on DP3.1 (12A193i).
The Prickly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 02:45 AM   #21
Stefdar
macrumors newbie

It is in the seed note... (Nvidia graphics crashes).
Stefdar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 02:54 AM   #22
andrewpturko
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prickly View Post
I have this bug at iMac Early 2009 24" Model 9,1. And yes, Still reproduces on DP3.1 (12A193i).
same here
Old May 13, 2012, 04:13 AM   #23
illya
macrumors newbie

new html5 issue

i have a new bug with html5 video from youtube:
1) the time counter counts from 1 to 4 seconds
2) video doesn't run, and
3) the loader is always working

Here's a screenshot: https://skitch.com/strikhar/833u5/vi...ession-youtube

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:37 AM   #24
TheOriginalKi
macrumors 6502

I opted out of the HTML5 trails and YouTube works fine for me now. (I had problems with full screen - more trying to quit full screen ended up with me having to quit Safari.)

http://www.youtube.com/html5

P.s I never opted in to the HTML5 trails in the first place.
TheOriginalKi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 08:21 AM   #25
illya
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalKi View Post
I opted out of the HTML5 trails and YouTube works fine for me now. (I had problems with full screen - more trying to quit full screen ended up with me having to quit Safari.)

http://www.youtube.com/html5

P.s I never opted in to the HTML5 trails in the first place.
easy solution! worked like a charm, thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion