Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:14 AM   #1
wildgiles
macrumors member

Does 2 x ATI HD 5770 make a difference in FCPX?

Just wondering if anyone has 2 x apple ATI HD 5770's in their mac pro and running FCP X if it makes any differences in exporting unrendered project timelines. Apple says FCP X is really great at using graphics cards, I'm wondering if having 2 5570's is better than 1 5870 for FCP X
wildgiles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:23 AM   #2
CaptainChunk
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgiles View Post
Just wondering if anyone has 2 x apple ATI HD 5770's in their mac pro and running FCP X if it makes any differences in exporting unrendered project timelines. Apple says FCP X is really great at using graphics cards, I'm wondering if having 2 5570's is better than 1 5870 for FCP X
I'm pretty sure that FCP X's OpenCL acceleration only works with one GPU. Even if it did work with two GPUs, a single 5870 would outperform a pair of 5770s. At least this is the case with Crossfired 5770s in Windows.

If you wanted faster, you'd want a 5870.
CaptainChunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:06 PM   #3
wildgiles
macrumors member

Dang, oh well. It's interesting that Davinci Resolve scales it's performance almost directly to the # of video cards you have.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:38 PM   #4
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Resolve was designed for people where price was not a primary consideration while FCPX was designed to run on an off-the-shelf Mac. While it would be nice if FCPX scaled up w/multiple GPUs I wonder how often that feature would be taken advantage of.

Lethal
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:48 AM   #5
cgbier
macrumors 6502a

And if you aim at DaVinci, then you should use a headless nVidia Quadro as a second GPU.
cgbier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Erendiox
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Erendiox
Davinci doesn't really scale to the number of GPUs quite like you're describing. What it will do is use a single GPU solely for acceleration, and then a second GPU for the GUI and general computing. In this way, you can take advantage of having two GPUs running simultaneously.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:13 AM   #7
wildgiles
macrumors member

They might sell graphics cards if FCP X advertised that it could use them. That would be a win win situation for mac pro users like me and apple. I hear that the 5870 is 20% faster than a 5770 ofr rendering in FCPX. My theory is that if FCPX could in fact use two cards would you not get 100% faster performance with renders.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:08 PM   #8
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erendiox View Post
Davinci doesn't really scale to the number of GPUs quite like you're describing. What it will do is use a single GPU solely for acceleration, and then a second GPU for the GUI and general computing. In this way, you can take advantage of having two GPUs running simultaneously.
That's how it tops out on Macs because of the limited PCIe slots. If you use a qualified PCIe extender box with a Mac or a PC tower w/more PCIe slots you can shove 4 GPUs into the mix (possibly more, not sure) and Resolve will utilize them. 4 GPUs is the recommend number by Blackmagic to really take advantage of what Resolve can do.

You can also hook Resolve up to a render farm but I'm not sure what all goes in to doing that.

Lethal
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:14 PM   #9
Erendiox
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Erendiox
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
That's how it tops out on Macs because of the limited PCIe slots. If you use a qualified PCIe extender box with a Mac or a PC tower w/more PCIe slots you can shove 4 GPUs into the mix (possibly more, not sure) and Resolve will utilize them. 4 GPUs is the recommend number by Blackmagic to really take advantage of what Resolve can do.

Lethal
Really now, I didn't know that. Thank you for the info. I'll have to look into it.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:28 AM   #10
cgbier
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgiles View Post
They might sell graphics cards if FCP X advertised that it could use them. That would be a win win situation for mac pro users like me and apple. I hear that the 5870 is 20% faster than a 5770 ofr rendering in FCPX. My theory is that if FCPX could in fact use two cards would you not get 100% faster performance with renders.
You won't. The main work is still done by the CPU. The GPU has only a supporting role. If you really want to have faster render speeds, you'll need to build a render farm with a bunch of Macs and Q-Master.

75% of all Macs sold are laptops, and as Apple wants to bring FCP X to the masses, they keep the hardware requirements pretty low (as does Autodesk with its new Smoke). A pretty nice move, I'd say.
cgbier is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video