Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old May 3, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1
LevMac
macrumors 6502

Question Do you have more than one SmartCover ?

Hey guys,

Just wanting to see who has more than ONE Smart Cover for their iPad's ?

I have the blue polyurethane but I'm starting to like the leather based ones...

Does anyone have more than one and swap them around ?
LevMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:34 PM   #2
number84
macrumors 6502

no, but i had the poly with my iPad 2 and got the leather one with the iPad 3. much prefer the leather one, but pretty expensive piece of leather...but then again the poly is expensive too!

i do interchange with an Incipio Lexington when i want more protection though (ie., my 3 year old)
number84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:22 PM   #3
rgarjr
macrumors 603

I just have a black leather one but eventually I will probably get a navy blue one.
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Night Spring
macrumors G3

I currently have the navy leather with my 3rd gen iPad. Before, I had a black leather with my iPad 2, which I passed on to my cousin as a set. I also tried the tan leather for a few days, trying to decide between that and the black, after which I gave the tan to my mom, who had just gotten an iPad 2. I really like the navy I have now, it feels elegant while being a bit different. Black felt plain, and the tan just picked up strains too easily.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:42 AM   #5
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a

If I preferred the smart cover rather than a case with a built in cover, I would definitely have more than one cover. I originally had a cream colored leather smart cover and ended up throwing it away. Read some of the threads and you'll see the stories of terrible staining and no way to clean the cream and red colored covers. My cream colored was full of smudges and fingerprints before I even got it home from the store and that was with clean hands.
Nhwhazup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 06:22 AM   #6
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Have a black one.
Picked up a tan one on ebay (OEM) for $22. Oiled it so its nice and dark now.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 09:26 AM   #7
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

Just one; Black leather. Were I to get another color, then my OCD would require that I also purchase a back cover of equal hue as well. I don't wanna go down that road.
Old May 4, 2012, 09:39 AM   #8
IXDoubleDXI
macrumors regular

Waiting on my 3rd (1st official Apple one) to be delivered. I picked up a Khomo dual case on Amazon, basically a back with a built in smart cover. Then a regular Khomo Smart Cover in Red. Now waiting on the Grey PU by Apple to get dropped off.
IXDoubleDXI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 09:47 AM   #9
iSong
Banned

I used to have an orange one. Not sure why they don't make it in that color any more. So I'm planning to get a black leather one for my new iPad. For those who had an "OEM" one, are those good? $70 is just way too much.
iSong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:23 AM   #10
riverwater
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
I just have a black leather one but eventually I will probably get a navy blue one.
I have a black leather for iPad 2 use for almost year, never cleaned but look still great. When I bought my new iPad 3, I thought I should change another color, so I got a navy leather one this time, regret in 2 days as the navy easy get dirty and not easy to clean. If I had a 2nd chance, I would buy a black.
riverwater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwater View Post
I have a black leather for iPad 2 use for almost year, never cleaned but look still great. When I bought my new iPad 3, I thought I should change another color, so I got a navy leather one this time, regret in 2 days as the navy easy get dirty and not easy to clean. If I had a 2nd chance, I would buy a black.
Easy get dirty? Not easy to clean? I just use shoe polish. Makes it harder to get dirty, and covers up most smudges.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:02 AM   #12
abir
macrumors newbie

I just have the black leather.
abir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:12 PM   #13
scorpio1973
macrumors 6502

Guess I am a little obsessed - I have 4 smart covers. LOL.

They are orange, green, pink, and light grey. Haven't ventured over to the leather ones yet, but I might just do that.
scorpio1973 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:21 PM   #14
dtjay7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio1973 View Post
Guess I am a little obsessed - I have 4 smart covers. LOL.

They are orange, green, pink, and light grey. Haven't ventured over to the leather ones yet, but I might just do that.
Add me to the obsessed list. I have four: pink, gray, black leather and a ruined red leather. Don't try and clean the red leather one! I did and it looks horrible.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtjay7 View Post
Don't try and clean the red leather one! I did and it looks horrible.
Really? What did you use to clean it? I've been wondering what would happen to the red leather if I were to oil it with my handbag cream from Coach.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:54 PM   #16
scorpio1973
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtjay7 View Post
Add me to the obsessed list. I have four: pink, gray, black leather and a ruined red leather. Don't try and clean the red leather one! I did and it looks horrible.
Ha ha! Glad to see I am not alone. And, thanks for the tip on the red leather one.
scorpio1973 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 03:00 AM   #17
LevMac
macrumors 6502

Looks like there a few people with more than one Smart Cover

I have the 2nd generation Grey PU and 2nd generation Blue PU, the 1st generation ones didn't have the nicer "inside" of the 2nd generation

Looking to either get the Tan or Red Leather one, what do you guys use to treat/clean your leather covers ??
Old May 5, 2012, 07:28 AM   #18
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevMac View Post
Looks like there a few people with more than one Smart Cover

I have the 2nd generation Grey PU and 2nd generation Blue PU, the 1st generation ones didn't have the nicer "inside" of the 2nd generation

Looking to either get the Tan or Red Leather one, what do you guys use to treat/clean your leather covers ??
I don't recommend the tan leather at all. I purchased it with my new iPad and it was covered with smudges and fingerprints before I got it home and that was handling it with clean hands. I tried to clean it but nothing worked. Then I dyed it black and in the end threw it in the trash. A real waste of $70. From reading these forums, the only leather one that folks have not complained about staining is the black one. If you don't mind a worn in stained look then go for either of the two you mentioned. I don't mind leather that breaks in and looks broken in but when it's all stained and yucky looking in a few hours from just normal handling (as my tan one was) i can't have it. Just my two cents from my experience.
Nhwhazup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhwhazup View Post
I don't recommend the tan leather at all. I purchased it with my new iPad and it was covered with smudges and fingerprints before I got it home and that was handling it with clean hands. I tried to clean it but nothing worked. Then I dyed it black and in the end threw it in the trash. A real waste of $70. From reading these forums, the only leather one that folks have not complained about staining is the black one. If you don't mind a worn in stained look then go for either of the two you mentioned. I don't mind leather that breaks in and looks broken in but when it's all stained and yucky looking in a few hours from just normal handling (as my tan one was) i can't have it. Just my two cents from my experience.
Well, my navy one is holding up nicely. I didn't open it until I got home, then immediately treated it with a coating of Coach leather lotion I have for my handbags, then buffed it with a shoe polishing foam. I repeat the process every time I think the leather is starting to look worn -- maybe about once a month or so. I used to do this with my black one, and my mom was impressed when she saw it before we passed it onto my cousin. She said it looked practically new. I also use spit to immediately wipe any stains and smudges I notice -- I know it might seem a bit gross, but spit does do wonders with leather.

I haven't tried this process with any other color, just the black and navy, but so far the navy is looking very good. I'm curious how it'll work with the other colors, but not enough to shell out $70 to try!
Old May 5, 2012, 12:06 PM   #20
glen e
macrumors 68030

Own 4...all with diff CF or stainless strips
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 02:59 AM   #21
LevMac
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice Nhwhazup

Here's something, each different coloured Leather Smart Cover actually has a different leather pattern Next time your looking at the Leather ones, take a look at the differences in the leather

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories