Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
As much as I love having certain apps and features brought from iOS to OS X, I still want the two to remain separate as far as operating systems go.

With Mountain Lion it just seems like OS X is just one step closer to being called iOS X.

I would hate to feel like I am just buying a 1500 dollar iphone.

Anyone else agree? Or can see where I am coming from?

Bigredhawkeye

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
To me I don't really understand why everyone is getting so upset about Mountain Lion.

It is still the same old OS X that everyone knows, yet it has some iOS features added to it. For me, that is a plus. You don't have to use them if you do not want to.

I don't think they'll ever be merged into a single platform, and I'm okay with closer integration, as it makes everything more streamlined between my iPhone and Macbook Air.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple has created a mobile OS, along with devices that have created a cash flow & profit margins so high, Apples not about to give any of their other products the same attention.

Thrilled with this achievement, computers and a full blown desktop OS, are on Apples short list for obsolescence. Blending iOS into OS X gives new Apple computer users the familiar look & feel they are not afraid of.

With nothing new to learn, and computers dumbed down to iOS level, Apple will sell millions of these Internet devices in the laptop form factor. Rave reviews will be everywhere & Apple will use the word "Magical" in their advertising.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Anyone else agree? Or can see where I am coming from?

No and No.
Good ideas are good ideas, which goes both ways.
The same team(s) are developing both so they'll think a good idea applies to both.

So while this mean there will be lots of similarities.
The fundamental idea that says they should be two separate things, hasn't changed nor is there a reason to think it will change anytime soon.
The two will always align in someways and converge in other each round but can't merge that idea stops being valid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.