Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmark212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
I really want a Mac Pro but I can't afford it New or Refurbished from the Apple Store. I found MacOfAllTrades and heard it was reliable. Should I buy a Mac Pro from them or Not.

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
Was the source you heard this from reliable?
Have had good experiences with MacofAllTrades. I sold them a Powerbook and Mac Pro 1,1, and bought a Cinema display from them. All transactions were handled professionally and relatively quickly (it takes a little time for them to inspect the equipment and send out the check). I recommend them highly.

lmark212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Have had good experiences with MacofAllTrades. I sold them a Powerbook and Mac Pro 1,1, and bought a Cinema display from them. All transactions were handled professionally and relatively quickly (it takes a little time for them to inspect the equipment and send out the check). I recommend them highly.

Thank You For the Fast Reply,
One Last Question. You Mentioned that you bought a Cinema Display from them. What condition would you say it's in

YosemiteSam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Southern California
I bought from MacOfAllTrades in Oct 2011

I bought a MacPro 3,1 (2008) 2.8 GHz Eight-Core from MacOfAllTrades in October of 2011.

The computer, though used, arrived in fantastic condition. The exterior of the case was flawless (truly like new). The insides of the machine showed use, but was in very good shape and (mostly) dusted. For shipping, the computer was packed in a box with custom sprayed-in foam, so it didn't move at all during transit and arrived in great shape. Parts of the outer box had even undergone some shipping trauma/damage, but the tower was still in great shape as it was cocooned inside many inches of the hard foam shell. Definitely top-notch shipping (aside from an actual original Apple shipment, of course).

Mine arrived with 10.5 Leopard pre-installed (no OS discs). I never even booted it- I immediately cloned the drive (using a MacBook Pro) as it arrived (so I could always restore to its "original" state), and jumped right into new installation of 10.6 Snow Leopard instead. I have never looked back, as 10.6 has worked just fine. I still have the 10.5 clone if I ever need it.

My Mac Pro came without keyboard or mouse- I picked those up at my local Apple Store. The first thing I did with the machine (other than install 10.6) was test all the hardware- every port, every bay, every internal and external connection. I wanted to make sure that everything was working properly, as the warranty was only 90 days. It all checked out. I did experience a few scary random/sudden reboots (no warning, no kernel panics, nothing) early on, but I later traced this to some RAM that wasn't completely seated in the motherboard trays. Once I fixed that (just re-inserting the RAM securely) the problem has never reoccured.

Though my machine was upgraded (larger hard drive, upgraded GPU, and extra memory), the upgrades are not all Apple OEM parts. The pairs of RAM sticks were some cheaper/generic brand, for example. None of the upgrades, though, have failed to perform properly.

In my case, the price was very good (better than the Ebay and Craigslist prices available at the time, and much better than PowerMax.com). My machine has worked just fine ever since I received it, so I wouldn't hesitate to use MacOfAllTrades again if they had what I was looking for at a really good price.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions about my experience. I've only used the company once, but I was quite satisfied. Definitely a legit and professional operation- nothing shady or nefarious going on.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I have sold a couple of macs to this company. They were in excellent condition.

I don't know the condition of other macs people have sold to this company though.

lmark212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
I bought a MacPro 3,1 (2008) 2.8 GHz Eight-Core from MacOfAllTrades in October of 2011.

The computer, though used, arrived in fantastic condition. The exterior of the case was flawless (truly like new). The insides of the machine showed use, but was in very good shape and (mostly) dusted. For shipping, the computer was packed in a box with custom sprayed-in foam, so it didn't move at all during transit and arrived in great shape. Parts of the outer box had even undergone some shipping trauma/damage, but the tower was still in great shape as it was cocooned inside many inches of the hard foam shell. Definitely top-notch shipping (aside from an actual original Apple shipment, of course).

Mine arrived with 10.5 Leopard pre-installed (no OS discs). I never even booted it- I immediately cloned the drive (using a MacBook Pro) as it arrived (so I could always restore to its "original" state), and jumped right into new installation of 10.6 Snow Leopard instead. I have never looked back, as 10.6 has worked just fine. I still have the 10.5 clone if I ever need it.

My Mac Pro came without keyboard or mouse- I picked those up at my local Apple Store. The first thing I did with the machine (other than install 10.6) was test all the hardware- every port, every bay, every internal and external connection. I wanted to make sure that everything was working properly, as the warranty was only 90 days. It all checked out. I did experience a few scary random/sudden reboots (no warning, no kernel panics, nothing) early on, but I later traced this to some RAM that wasn't completely seated in the motherboard trays. Once I fixed that (just re-inserting the RAM securely) the problem has never reoccured.

Though my machine was upgraded (larger hard drive, upgraded GPU, and extra memory), the upgrades are not all Apple OEM parts. The pairs of RAM sticks were some cheaper/generic brand, for example. None of the upgrades, though, have failed to perform properly.

In my case, the price was very good (better than the Ebay and Craigslist prices available at the time, and much better than PowerMax.com). My machine has worked just fine ever since I received it, so I wouldn't hesitate to use MacOfAllTrades again if they had what I was looking for at a really good price.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions about my experience. I've only used the company once, but I was quite satisfied. Definitely a legit and professional operation- nothing shady or nefarious going on.

Thank You For the Help!

ddamico361

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
Macofalltrades Comments

I have been using Macofalltrades since the late 90s. My first purchase as a Mac G4 sawtooth back in 2001. This is a machine made in 1999. It still functions flawlessly as a second Mac (I primarily use a 2009 MacMini). I have upgraded the Powermac several times and it just works. I have recommended Macofalltrades to several friends along the way and all have been satisfied. My most recent purchase was a 2009 Mac Pro which works wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about Macofalltrades. I say go for it! :D

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^The question was asked two years ago. I don 't think the OP has been holding his breath waiting for your answer:eek:

Lou

Reactions: pat500000

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
I really want a Mac Pro but I can't afford it New or Refurbished from the Apple Store. I found MacOfAllTrades and heard it was reliable. Should I buy a Mac Pro from them or Not.

hope you've already had one dream mac pro, so this answer will give some advice to others still have willing list, macofalltrades has about 200 to 250 usd benefice brut on one mac pro, you may find cheaper on ebay, this the largest market of second hand, just find a good seller, buy a basic configuration, then upgrade it youself, it is kind of amusant, good luck
btw, people normally dont know how to function ebay guarantee, here i tell you guys as a part time seller:
if you buy things from ebay particuler seller, you will have one month guarantee, if the article doesn't work like it should be, you can return it whatever the seller accept or not, but only within one month.
if you buy things from ebay pro seller, you will have 14 days return policy automotically, then of course guarantee one month on ebay, but it doesn't stop there, if you've paid via paypal, you will have 180 days guarantee to return, if it damaged during the duree.
so basicly ebay protects more buyer than seller, that's why, i think, there are less than fake article than taobao.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^The question was asked two years ago. I don 't think the OP has been holding his breath waiting for your answer:eek:

And here we are, folks are still answering a question asked close to SIX years ago 1387914497.gif

Lou

lilk

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
I have bought 2 computers from them. No complaints!

sanjitdas

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2019
Do not buy from them. They will never honor their warranty. They lie about their warranty. If anything happens, never going to return or fix. They sale very old items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.