Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:52 AM   #101
rogan
macrumors regular

Dam hipsters ruining us pro's sales percentages with their $1000 college dorm room photobooth's.
rogan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:55 AM   #102
Nuvi
macrumors 6502a

If Apple drops 17" MBP I'll drop Apple. I require large (matte) screen, lots of power and hopefully expandebility from my laptop. I couldn't care less how slim it is. If I want slim I can have my iPad but if I need to do serious work on road I need my 17" MBP. Worst thing that happened to pro users were the success of iToys...
Nuvi is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:56 AM   #103
Heilage
macrumors 68030

A lot of professional video and photo editors will get angry at this. A lot of them love their 17" MBPs.

(I have a fair few as customers)
Heilage is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:59 AM   #104
iDemiurge
macrumors regular

Guess they'll drop the iPad too, since it doesn't sell nearly as much as the iPhone.

Flawed logic aside, they might indeed drop de 17". Right now this is the laptop for those who clearly do not want to buy an external monitor. This group is getting smaller, even among pros. If apple can sell you a 15" plus a thunderbolt display, why would they sell you a 17" for only a couple hundred bucks more? :-/
iDemiurge is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:01 AM   #105
d3bruts1d
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to d3bruts1d Send a message via Yahoo to d3bruts1d
Well, this news if true is really discouraging. I made the decision a few months ago to purchase a new MBP 17" to use as a DTR/Mobile office. I had been holding off on the purchase to see if the redesign does indeed drop the optical drive and move to a more MBA-ish design. The thoughts of a 17" HiDPI screen had me drooling, this rumor has me weeping.
d3bruts1d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:01 AM   #106
Beliblis
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
Great news!!! I hope they ditch the Mac Pro too. Both these products are of the past. Nobody wants to carry around a 17" laptop anymore, and certainly very few people want a bulky desktop computer unit that attaches to a separate external monitor.
External monitors? You obviously have absolutely ZERO idea of what you're talking about.
Have you heard of Eizo, Quato, NEC? So why don't they discontinue their high-end AdobeRGB-capable monitor lines? Because it's still good business for them.

I know there's the MacMini – but unless they double its size & processor cores, that's not fast enough for professional use. Even if it's "only" photographers... Try working fluently(!) with high-res camera RAW files (focus check in Lightroom for example) and you'll know why there's a need for a Mac Pro.
Beliblis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:02 AM   #107
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
I'm quite disappointed with the sales number of the MacBook Air in the article, especially when it is compared with the strong sales of the MBP 13". MBA 13" is in every aspect much faster than the MBP 13", the screen is a lot better too. When you take the price of an equivalent SSD in the consideration, MBA 13" is much cheaper too.

So are people buying the 13" MBP just for the word "Pro"?
well my MBP has 8 GB ram, SSD and more ports etc
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:05 AM   #108
leo.andres.21
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to leo.andres.21 Send a message via Yahoo to leo.andres.21 Send a message via Skype™ to leo.andres.21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
Next, you will go back to Windows and Dell's business products, like anybody else who uses computers professionally. It's that simple.

That being said, the 17" Apple notebooks were awesome. Personally, I never saw the benefits of the 15" models - they're a strange compromise between a workstation replacement and a true mobile system, neither being one or the other. The 12" and 13" Apple notebooks were amazing if you needed something mobile, and the 17" series was great if wanted a desktop system that could easily be moved from one work place to another. But why would somebody want the 15" model? Anyway. Who does still care? Apparently, Apple wants to transform their notebooks into iPads with keyboards and trackpads and I'm sure that I won't follow them onto that journey.
I will have to disagree with you there. As external monitors are becoming increasingly cheap, people tend to go with a smaller notebook even for their desktop set up. The 15" model is the perfect compromise between 13" and 17", it has some mobility of the 13", but it's just as powerful as the 17". People sees things on both end of the spectrum and often settle to have benefits of both. 17" only holds a slightly bigger screen and high res, and a few more ports (1 USB and an express card slot), which I feel, as many others do, doesn't justify the $700 price premium, with that, you could get an iPad or add a bit more and you get a Thunderbolt display. Sure, some users (namely you) like to use a bigger machine without the hassle of plugging and unplugging your laptop every time you leave the table, but then the mass considers the economic factors too. And it doesn't look good for the 17 incher.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:06 AM   #109
gpzjock
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post

Again you don't want one, but others might have a differing opinion. It really does depend on what you require from your machine.

Several of you are incapable of viewing a product line beyond how it relates to your own needs. I like the 15" personally, but it's a matter of how much screen real estate you require when the external display is not an option. It's actually weird how much you guys go off mindless anecdotes. Regarding the mac pro, they may own one as well. You really don't know. It's not that uncommon to own one of the top macbook pros as well if you own a mac pro. I have seen people who used to purchase 17" models going to 15" versions in the past few years, but that's an anecdote rather than a meaningful sample (not only a small number but poorly randomized), which is why I don't present it as an argument related to the health of the product line.

My point about the massive range of cheaper alternatives in the sphere of desktop replacement Macbooks & iMacs is not due to my own narrow choice band. I don't want any of them, I have already got the Mac Pro of my dreams.
Over 3 million MacBook buyers chose a cheaper one. 50,000 did indeed choose a 17" but that is a tiny market share. This is the point, Apple cannabalised the vast majority of 17" potential buyers with the cheaper other models.
They couldn't justify the expense either I assume.
gpzjock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:07 AM   #110
thegreypatch
macrumors member

showing love for the 17", but to be honest could really do with some NEW news about the ivy bridges coming out today and hopefully the soon sought after 15" re-design!
thegreypatch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:08 AM   #111
bottleneck
macrumors member

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=A...rce=undefined;
bottleneck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:10 AM   #112
bpaluzzi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
Next, you will go back to Windows and Dell's business products, like anybody else who uses computers professionally. It's that simple.
You're either a straight-up liar or working in awful companies. Or both, who knows.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:15 AM   #113
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo.andres.21 View Post
I will have to disagree with you there. As external monitors are becoming increasingly cheap, people tend to go with a smaller notebook even for their desktop set up. The 15" model is the perfect compromise between 13" and 17", it has some mobility of the 13", but it's just as powerful as the 17". People sees things on both end of the spectrum and often settle to have benefits of both. 17" only holds a slightly bigger screen and high res, and a few more ports (1 USB and an express card slot), which I feel, as many others do, doesn't justify the $700 price premium, with that, you could get an iPad or add a bit more and you get a Thunderbolt display. Sure, some users (namely you) like to use a bigger machine without the hassle of plugging and unplugging your laptop every time you leave the table, but then the mass considers the economic factors too. And it doesn't look good for the 17 incher.
That $700 price premium is one reason why I'm not convinced by the rumour. It almost certainly has a much larger profit margin than the lesser MBPs to make up for smaller sales. Whether or not it is justified is the buyer's choice. Why do people buy an S Class when a C Class is nearly the same and does all the same things but is smaller? You could use the same arguments about volumes and price there too.
steve-p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:15 AM   #114
rev.b
macrumors regular

17" 1920x1200 is the perfect macbook for me. I can do productive work everywhere, the desktop real estate is fantastic. Much better than the 15" I previously owned.

If they ditch the 17", no more macbook for me. Shame on apple.
rev.b is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:16 AM   #115
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
I'm quite disappointed with the sales number of the MacBook Air in the article, especially when it is compared with the strong sales of the MBP 13". MBA 13" is in every aspect much faster than the MBP 13", the screen is a lot better too. When you take the price of an equivalent SSD in the consideration, MBA 13" is much cheaper too.

So are people buying the 13" MBP just for the word "Pro"?
Nope. They want/need the space and the MBA SSDs are still just too small for many who run these as their solo machine.

I guess some like the ODD too, but will eventually realise that they never really use it. But it looks more like what they're used to; creatures of habit, eh.
Santabean2000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:21 AM   #116
leman
macrumors 601

This is very possible. If the new 15" MBP features full HD resolution, there will be absolutely no point in having a bulkier and heavier 17" laptop. The only justification for the 17" model until now was its higher resolution compared to the 15" model.
leman is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:32 AM   #117
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
If the new 15" MBP features full HD resolution, there will be absolutely no point in having a bulkier and heavier 17" laptop. The only justification for the 17" model until now was its higher resolution compared to the 15" model.
In your opinion. I have had to use 1920x1200 and 1920x1080 Dell 15.4/15.6" laptops for work for years, and it's not a great experience compared to the same resolution on a 17" screen. UI elements are just too small. Apple have decided it was not a good idea up until now, when they could have offered it years ago. So what has changed?
steve-p is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:32 AM   #118
rev.b
macrumors regular

Quote:
This is very possible. If the new 15" MBP features full HD resolution, there will be absolutely no point in having a bulkier and heavier 17" laptop. The only justification for the 17" model until now was its higher resolution compared to the 15" model.
1920x1200 on a 15" is useful for eyestrain, not for working...
rev.b is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:35 AM   #119
Nuvi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
Great news!!! I hope they ditch the Mac Pro too. Both these products are of the past. Nobody wants to carry around a 17" laptop anymore, and certainly very few people want a bulky desktop computer unit that attaches to a separate external monitor.
Go play with you iToys and grow up. Some day in the distant future you actually might use Mac's to do something that that is considered creation and not content consumption. Only then you realize that there is need for MP's and those large screen MBP's.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDemiurge View Post
Guess they'll drop the iPad too, since it doesn't sell nearly as much as the iPhone.

Flawed logic aside, they might indeed drop de 17". Right now this is the laptop for those who clearly do not want to buy an external monitor. This group is getting smaller, even among pros. If apple can sell you a 15" plus a thunderbolt display, why would they sell you a 17" for only a couple hundred bucks more? :-/
You want to take external monitor with you when you go out? It's a laptop you know...
Nuvi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:37 AM   #120
comatory
macrumors 6502a

I'm not 100 percent sure but aren't the new introductions of macbook pro's always unified. Everybody's talking about 15" pro's to be released next week but my gut tells me that they're just simply release all models after Mountain Lion or along with it. It would make sense.

I can see 17" to be dropped as well as Mac Pro, I think we will get the answer to that soon but if Apple keeps the unibody design I think they'll keep 17" as well.

Yeah, I'm one of those people that wouldn't be surprised if the unibody design stayed with us a bit longer. And why not, it's great.
comatory is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:38 AM   #121
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816

Looking forward to see what Apple has been cooking up in Ive's lab.
I'm 100% ready for a new 15-inch.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:38 AM   #122
Nuvi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

There is a reason. It's called good working environment. I own couple of 17" MBP's and I would never swap them to to 15". BTW. I also have one old 15" so I know it from experience.
Nuvi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:41 AM   #123
639me
macrumors newbie

happy i got the last one then. 512GB SSD 16GB RAM.
but seeing all the thunderbolt peripherals coming now WITH ONLY ONE TB CONNECTOR, i may have to get a decent 15'' when they start shipping with two TB connectors

Last edited by 639me; Apr 25, 2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: making it more understandable
639me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:49 AM   #124
mrklaw
macrumors 6502a

if the 13" air has the resolution of the 15" MBP, its feasible that an updated 15" pro/air/whatever could have the resolution of the 17"
mrklaw is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:50 AM   #125
vikpt
macrumors regular

i don't believe that apple will discontinue their 17 in macbook pro!
vikpt is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion