Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Myburgher
macrumors newbie

How to transfer iPad apps to MacBook

I have an iPad 2 and want to do a software update to OS 5.1. I am aware that I will probably lose all my apps if I do such a thing, so I want to transfer them all over to my MacBook. Being an Apple noob, I have no idea how to do such a thing. I really don't want to lose all my paid apps, and if possible I really don't want to have to download everything again from the internet.
Myburgher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors 604

First, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on your Macbook.

Start iTunes, and log in to your iTunes account.

From menu, go to Store, then pick Authorize This Computer. Enter your iTunes account name and password. This needs to be done in addition to logging in to your iTunes account.

Connect your iPad to your computer. I take it you haven't synced your iPad before, because if you had, your apps will already be on your computer. I believe sync should start automatically when you connect your iPad. If it doesn't, right click on your iPad icon in the left hand column in iTunes, and select "Transfer Purchases."

Above all, be assured that you will never have to pay again for your paid apps. They can always be redownloaded from the app store for free, provided you are signed in to the iTunes account you used to purchase them. The only purpose of doing this is to avoid redownloading apps over the internet.

Also, most of the time iOS upgrades work fine without having to recopy your apps from your computer or the internet. (Unless you are skipping a generation, like going from 3.x to 5.x.) But it is good to sync your iPad before doing an update, just in case. Oh, and make sure iTunes creates a backup while syncing. That could also come in handy if something goes wrong during the update process.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting