Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with the rumored April 23 launch date, BBC News reports that Intel has officially introduced the first batch of its next-generation Ivy Bridge processors. The processors are Intel's first to use a 22-nm manufacturing process and "Tri-Gate" technology of 3D transistors to reduce power and increase efficiency.

ivy_bridge_quad_core_layout.jpg

The initial launch consists of 13 quad-core processors, primarily focused on the desktop market, although several mobile processors that would be appropriate for revised 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models are also included in the launch. Dual-core chips appropriate for smaller notebooks will follow "later this spring", with previous rumors having pegged that launch date as June 3.
The firm has already built three factories to fabricate the new chips and a fourth will come online later this year.

"This is Intel's fastest ramp ever," [Intel executive Kirk] Skaugen added.

"There will be 50% more supply than we had early in the product cycle of our last generation, Sandy Bridge, a year ago. And we're still constrained based on the amount of demand we're seeing in the marketplace."
In addition to the power and efficiency gains made possible with the Tri-Gate technology, Ivy Bridge will also benefit from significantly enhanced integrated graphics performance compared to Sandy Bridge, which will help with supporting higher-resolution hardware and content, as well as improving transcoding rates. Ivy Bridge also brings new hardware security features and native support for USB 3.0.

The launch of Ivy Bridge processors opens the door for a massive set of upgrades encompassing nearly all of Apple's Mac product line with the exception of the Mac Pro, which is itself long past its usual refresh interval and could see upgrades to new Sandy Bridge E server chips.

Update: Intel has now published its press release announcing the launch of Ivy Bridge, which is officially referred to as the company's 3rd Generation Core family.

Article Link: Intel Officially Launches First Quad-Core Ivy Bridge Processors

Last edited:

Nemokrad

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
BBC might be a bit early, I don't see an Intel press release or any other source reporting on it. I also don't see anything on newegg.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
15" Ivy Bridge MacBook Pro, retina display, USB 3.0.

We can't be that far off a release date, within the next 3 weeks?

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
"Again"? When was the last time that Apple called a product "revolutionary" based on the processor?

This is the point. They show an incredible performance gain in 20% with respect to previous models and forget to mention Intel :)

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
This is the point. They show an incredible performance gain in 20% with respect to previous models and forget to mention Intel :)

Apple always mentions Intel or Nvidia or AMD on any of the speed tests they put on their product pages.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Not interested in the desktop chips.

Yeah they're slightly faster and have better graphics (but on a desktop you'll have a proper GPU anyways), but they run hotter than Sandybridge and doesn't overclock as-well unless you're using water or phase cooling.

But the laptop chips, I'm interested in those!
HD4000 graphics will be good for ultrabooks without discrete or for those with to turn off the discrete to save battery. i7-3820QM (2.7GHz quad turbo'ing to 3.5GHz on all four or 3.7GHz on one core) should be good.

i7-3820QM in a Mac Mini with a discrete GPU would be ace. Shame I don’t see it happening until Q4.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Based on the tests people with sample chips have posted elsewhere, it doesn't look like that big an advantage over Sandy Bridge, except for the integrated GPU products. The HD 4000 looks fast enough for non-graphics/gaming/etc systems that it surely will take some market from AMD and Nvidia for the low-end chips.

Last edited:

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
All I am waiting for is the next gen RADEON series to come out then my upgrade shall commence :)

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
This is a major improvement for the computing world– a mainstream 22nm chip. But most impressive is Tri-Gate 3D transistors. This is a massive breakthrough.

My father is holding out on a new MBPro for the impending update. I told him the current generation is fantastic, but I can't blame him for wanting to wait. This looks like it could be very enticing.

I suppose this tech. is probably the basis for a gaming rig update, too. Probably won't happen for another 2 years, or when I can't play the latest game I want with all the bells and whistles. ;-)

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Apple always mentions Intel or Nvidia or AMD on any of the speed tests they put on their product pages.

I think he misses the sticker : Intel inside.

How about putting it in the center of the screen, on all sides of outside packaging and feature it in the center of Apples website?

And, make an agreement with UPS and FEDEX that the drivers delivering your package have to say:

Intel Inside!

That ought to do it!

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
The main question is going to be what discreet GPU is Apple going to use (if any) in its MBPro line or a revised mini.

Still I was hoping for the new line to have a lower Max TDP, allowing the use of faster discreet GPUs, but they have the same thermal characteristics...
Doesn't bode well for the MBPro to Air form factor transformation :(

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Apple will put em' into their machines and call it a REVOLUTION once again. ;)

LOL. That's right. In addition they will remain marked "NEW" or "WORLDS FASTEST" on Apple site until the next replacement. The crazed Apple groupies will go gaga and business will continue as usual....

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
LOL. That's right. In addition they will remain marked "NEW" or "WORLDS FASTEST" on Apple site until the next replacement. The crazed Apple groupies will go gaga and business will continue as usual....

Man, at least one person understood irony I put in my original post! The life is worth to live! :D

thegreypatch

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2012
Doubt the new macbook pro's will be released tomorrow, isnt even a leak of a possible look alike or prototype design or anything apart from hyped up rumours! Total crap!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.