Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:16 AM   #1
cpromotions
macrumors newbie

iMac won't start. Powersupply?

Hello,

I have a problem with my iMac and I hope you guys can help me.
Its an 24 iMac Mid 2007* 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme (EMC No.: 2134 Model No.: A1225).
The iMac suddenly turned off as if sombody pulled out the powercable. If I press the power button nothing happens as if the machine gets no power at all.
So I opened the iMac and removed all the dirt and dust. I thought it might be the PSU but I cant see any optical defects.
When I pluged in the powercable the first Diagnostic-LED light up shortly and went off again. When i pull the cord and plug it in again nothing happens...
I checked the cable itself and tried another one to be sure its not teh cable.
Can I be sure that it is the PSU (because of the LEDs) or could it be the logicboard either?

Any Experiences?

Thanks for your help. And sorry for my poor english.
cpromotions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Because the first LED turns on then off again, I'm going to say that it is the power supply.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:55 AM   #3
eschw95458
macrumors member

I know this will sound weird.....try unplugging the hard drive.
I had a machine I worked on a while ago it seemed like a dead power supply, I replaced it with a known working one and still no go. As it turned out when the hard drive failed it was causing a direct short. After finding the problem I found others online that have had the same problem. It is worth a shot anyway. If that doesn't work then it sounds like the power supply.
eschw95458 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:57 AM   #4
cpromotions
macrumors newbie

Thank your for the tip eschw95458. I haven't had time to check the drive an I have one more question before I to that. Was it the HDD and the PSU or only the HDD??
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:33 AM   #5
cpromotions
macrumors newbie

Hello,

thank you for your answers, and sorry for the very long delay. I never thought it would be that hard to get one of those PSUs in germany. How ever I finally managed to get one.
After I replaced he the old one my iMac started up without any Problems. I had it running for a few hours for doing all the updates with no problems. But after I moved it from my workbench to my home office. It begins to boot and after 20-30 seconds it turns off. I can't turn it on again pressing the power button doesn't have any effect. When I wait a couple of minutes and unplug it from the power network I can start it again, but only for about 20-30 seconds and then the machine turns itself off again.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Thanks for your help.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac