Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noticed by Apple Bitch, Chinese parts vendor TVC-Mall has begun offering "iPhone 5" home buttons for sale in both black and white. But what the report doesn't mention is that the buttons are indeed slightly different from the round home buttons seen on iOS devices to date.

iphone_5_home_buttons.jpg

Front of "iPhone 5" home buttons
The new home buttons appear to have a rounded square shape much like iOS app icons, but retain the round depression for the button as seen in existing devices. TVC-Mall notes the distinction in its product description:
Different from iPhone 4S 4, the iPhone 5 home button is round in the centre and square outside as the pictures show. The two parts are indivisible.
iphone_5_home_buttons_back.jpg

Rear of "iPhone 5" home buttons
It is, however, unclear from the product images whether the design change will be noticeable to users. Specifically, it is not clear whether the rounded square portion of the button would be flush with the surface of the device with the round portion depressed slightly or if the rounded square portion might simply be below the surface of the device and invisible to the user as with the small edges and "wings" of the current iPhone home button design.

iphone_4s_home_button.jpg

iPhone 4S home button (Source: iFixit)
We suspect that that the rounded square portion of the new home button will lie below the surface of the iPhone, serving to hold the button in place while remaining invisible to the user. In this scenario, only the standard round home button portion would protrude through the surface of the device to be accessed by the user.

In either case, it appears that rumors of Apple removing the home button entirely or replacing it with a touch-senstive button with a larger gesture area are once again unfounded. Such rumors have become common in the months leading up to the launch of each new iOS device, but Apple has maintained the contestant iconic presence of the home button introduced on the original iPhone through each new product release.

TVC-Mall has a history of leaking minor genuine iOS device parts well ahead of the products' official introductions, yielding hope that parts for the next-generation iPhone are beginning to surface from Apple's supply chain. If the parts are genuine, they may suggest that Apple is looking toward ramping production of the device, although these leaks sometimes come many months ahead of production.

Update: The home buttons are also listed for sale in both black and white at TrueSupplier, and images posted there more clearly show that the rounded square will lie behind the front of the device and serve to hold the home button in place.

iphone_5_home_button_raised.jpg

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Part Leaks Begin with Home Buttons

Wildog27

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Great. Here we go with the overanalyzation of minutiae to build to an underwhelming frenzy about the next iPhone. Can I please hear about the color of the wiring next?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Was hoping for the home button to change colour to indicate a notification!

Least it isn't going anywhere.

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
They should just remove the home button completely :)
- sent via my iPhone 4S crying.

Not a good idea. Have you used an Android phone with the touch buttons? They're unresponsive, easy to accidentally hit, and just don't work too well in practice. The iHome button is a staple of the lineup and should stick around until some truly revolutionary replacement comes along through haptics or otherwise, but I think that is quite a ways away.

Anyway, this home button thing is fairly boring to me, I want to see hints of the new screen and enclosure!

TheEndless

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
What? No comment on the fact that the rounded square "home icon" appears to be embossed on the new button?

danwayfilms

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2012
Wow.. it's crazy the amount of I Don't Care I have about the home button on a new phone months away.

Give us some real news. Like Mac Pro related would be nice

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
The change to the square must have some deeper meaning that we are supposed to decipher...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Good grief how in the world is this news? And I thought the non-stories about the iPad shell being ever so slightly thicker were bad....sigh....

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
"Introducing the iPhone 5, with an all new, completely redesigned home button."
"Going home has never been so easy."
"We decided to match the innovation of Siri with our revolutionary new home button."

It's not an easy marketing angle, but I think Apple can handle it.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Give me a break. I think the outside shape will be hidden by the top bezel, its still a round button.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Make it a capacative touch button, have the white square glow like a sleeping Mac when it has a notification too :D

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I'm glad they're changing the home button. The iPhone 4/4S is notorious for the home button getting stuck. While this is small news, I'm glad the design will be different.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
I know a guy, who knows a guy who knows another guy says that he knows a guy who's testing the new iPhone.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i cannot even put my hate for that little annoying thing in words, it needs to gooooo. broke on THREE iPhone 4 i owned. seems to work fine on my 4S so far, but its still annoying and waste of space

i hoped they would make it glow as an notification indicator :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.