Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: Should the iPad allow for Guests to log-in?
Yes 25 56.82%
No 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:06 PM   #1
WhySoSerious
macrumors 65816

Question iPad Guest Accounts

iOS 6 needs to include an option to allow guests to log into the iPad and only see apps that the owner has allowed to be visable. This is one of the most impactful things Apple could bring to a software update.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:13 PM   #2
pelicanflip
macrumors 6502a

Doubtful. Considering how you can already implement restrictions on Apps and services on the iPad through the basic settings, it seems redundant for iOS 6 to make a separate workaround for it.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:17 PM   #3
WhySoSerious
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanflip View Post
Doubtful. Considering how you can already implement restrictions on Apps and services on the iPad through the basic settings, it seems redundant for iOS 6 to make a separate workaround for it.
you can't put restrictions on every app and how annoying it would be to have to go into settings>restrictions>check apps/uncheck apps every time you use your ipad.

when you wake your ipad, it should just have a profile pic (2 or 3 or 4) and you just tap your profile and then enter your 4 digit code....bam, it loads your apps.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:18 PM   #4
BigDaddy3000
Banned

you're absolutely right! This is why I hate apple! I only got this stupid iPad cause of work. This is my main problem that you can't have different user profiles. @pelicanflip, I'm almost certain we arent talking about the same thing. Those restrictions are futile at best! And I refuse to jailbrake
BigDaddy3000 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:42 PM   #5
pelicanflip
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post
you can't put restrictions on every app and how annoying it would be to have to go into settings>restrictions>check apps/uncheck apps every time you use your ipad.

when you wake your ipad, it should just have a profile pic (2 or 3 or 4) and you just tap your profile and then enter your 4 digit code....bam, it loads your apps.
Ah, but then apple wouldn't be able to sell as many.

In all seriousness, that'd be a pretty awesome addition, although I wouldn't have much need of it.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:47 PM   #6
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

I don't want guest profiles or multi profiles. My iPad is my iPad. HOWEVER, for the rare time that my wife needs to borrow it, it would help to have a profile on there with her Facebook/Twitter/email settings on it.

In the long run, I'd much rather get her her own iPad.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:12 PM   #7
nfl46
macrumors 601

Lol. That was my idea as well.

But yes, guest profiles would be awesome. I bet most wouldn't even expect that in iOS 6.

It would be helpful when we let our kids, wife, etc. use our iPad. Not every family can afford an iPad for everyone in the house. Some use a family iPad.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:35 PM   #8
ZBoater
macrumors 604

I already have some pretty strong restrictions with my iPad. I don't let anyone but me use it....
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:59 PM   #9
koigirl
macrumors 6502a

I think it's a great idea. Then my kids couldn't customize (i.e. screw with) my settings. BTW, it's impossible to keep them off of it when I set it down somewhere in the house...
koigirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:35 PM   #10
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by koigirl View Post
I think it's a great idea. Then my kids couldn't customize (i.e. screw with) my settings. BTW, it's impossible to keep them off of it when I set it down somewhere in the house...
A passcode maybe?

Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Maskusee
macrumors Demi-God

Great idea, but I believe Apple wants for each member of the family I have their own....
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:55 PM   #12
SteveAbootman
macrumors 6502a

Maybe not a full fledged user profile system, but why not "guest mode"? They already do something similar with OS X that gives the guest access to Safari.

I'd love to be able to let friends and family use my iPad without worrying about them getting curious or accidentally clicking my bookmarks, history, etc. Lock it down to Safari and let em have at it.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:03 PM   #13
iHeartsteve
macrumors 6502a

I would love this option!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:02 AM   #14
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

I would LOVE this and see a setup similar to Facebook, logged in it is "always yours" log out and you have an option for different profiles.

BUT, I cannot see Apple doing this as they would "sell less" though I could see them selling a bit more if people like my parents could use mine more without fear of screwing it up...then say i REALLY do likes this...I need one now!

Right now i think they are still afraid to really try it out.
BJMRamage is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad