Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Haziza
macrumors member

Turn the iPad off overnight ect?

It good to turn the iPad off for longer time while at work and things like that?

It good fir the battery, it should save a bit? Begin constantley on can't be good for anything? Or am I wrong.
Haziza is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:45 PM   #2
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

This is not a machine that is meant to be shut down every night, and certainly doesn't need to be unless you're having an issue with an app. You will see that it loses little to no charge over night when being left in standby mode.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
ano0oj
macrumors 6502

Haven't turned mine off since day 1
ano0oj is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:46 PM   #4
number84
macrumors 6502

you're wrong....well, kinda....they're meant to be always-on devices...it doesn't use very much battery while in standby. if you'd really want to save battery, i'd rather just turn on Airplane mode rather than completely shutdown.
number84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:49 PM   #5
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Airplane mode. No wifi radiations (I also unplug my internet router at night) and less battery drain.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Haziza
macrumors member

I'm not worried about the battery drain, just the battery health it self.

How do the lion battery feel about begin turned off during night and work? Is it good for it over the long time or not?

I mean letting the battery rest sometimes should good?
Haziza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:06 PM   #7
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
I'm not worried about the battery drain, just the battery health it self.

How do the lion battery feel about begin turned off during night and work? Is it good for it over the long time or not?

I mean letting the battery rest sometimes should good?
I don't think that it drains that much if I let it with 20% the next day it stays at 20% so it shouldn't hurt, since the battery also depletes by itself. I think age is more unforgiving than letting the ipad in standby during the night.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:30 PM   #8
fs454
macrumors 6502a

It was specifically designed to be powered on pretty much always. Don't worry about turning it off until you encounter an issue, then reboot and leave it on for another month or two.
iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey / iPad 3 16GB+LTE
fs454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:45 PM   #9
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind that rechargeable batteries drain even when in storage, albeit very slowly. So there should be no benefit whatsoever to trying to "save" the battery by turning the device off. Besides, any wear and tear on a battery, if any, comes from charging moreso than using them.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:26 PM   #10
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
It good to turn the iPad off for longer time while at work and things like that?

It good fir the battery, it should save a bit? Begin constantley on can't be good for anything? Or am I wrong.
There is zero benefit to powering down the iPad at night. When the iPad is asleep, the power drain is so low that even Apple says it'll last a month. The "wear" on the battery in sleep is so minimal that you'll never see any difference over the lifetime of the product.

I guarantee you stress other components more by powering it off then on daily. Not to mention changes in battery temperature during this process... You're probably better off leaving it on, come to think of it.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:22 PM   #11
Nova Sensei
macrumors 6502

I remember when the iPod Touch first came out, people were asking how long the touch screen would last.

As with most things Apple, the components will outlast your ability to resist purchasing a newer/upgraded model.
Nova Sensei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Haziza
macrumors member

I want facts, no one on here know about batteries?
Haziza is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:39 AM   #13
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Here are some facts:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

The posters above have also supplied you with facts, including there being no point in turning your iPad off at night.
poloponies is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

There is little you can do to extend the life of the battery. It's cells are in a constant tailspin whether you use the battery or not, whether the iPad is shut down or sleeping. It's a system unto itself.

But the good news is that the battery will likely last longer than you own your iPad... at 1,000 full charges it still retains 80%. That means you'd have to do a full charge nearly every day for 3 years to get to the 80% level. Most people don't do a full charge every day. So just enjoy your iPad and stop sweating details out of your control. In 3 years something upgrade worthy will be around.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:48 AM   #15
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
There is little you can do to extend the life of the battery. It's cells are in a constant tailspin whether you use the battery or not, whether the iPad is shut down or sleeping. It's a system unto itself.

But the good news is that the battery will likely last longer than you own your iPad... at 1,000 full charges it still retains 80%. That means you'd have to do a full charge nearly every day for 3 years to get to the 80% level. Most people don't do a full charge every day. So just enjoy your iPad and stop sweating details out of your control. In 3 years something upgrade worthy will be around.
We have 2 original iPads in our household that are in regular daily use and get charged every 3 days or so (about 400 charge cycles). Battery life is still pretty spectacular (maybe 10% below "new").
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:16 AM   #16
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So you came here asking actual, experienced users advice only to then tell them you don't believe anything they say (even though they ALL agree)? Nice. Remind me not to waste my time again.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:30 AM   #17
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Are you being serious right now?

We have all owned iPads. We have all left them on overnight almost every night. It has almost zero affect on the battery.

When the day comes that you need a new battery, if you don't have a newer iPad by then, Apple charges a small fee and gives you a whole different iPad in lieu of a battery replacement.

There is literally no real benefit to turning an iPad off when you're not using it.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:33 AM   #18
iapplelove
Banned

OP is clearly a moron. First asks advice then says nobody knows what they are talking about lol good job
iapplelove is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:05 AM   #19
Julien
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Here are more Battery FACTS than you could ever process.
Julien is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:13 AM   #20
Akack
macrumors 6502a

The force is strong with this one.......
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:55 AM   #21
Haziza
macrumors member

So everything you read on the forums is 100%? Hahahaha. Get real. Geif facts!

Just because some in here never turn it off, it doesn't mean it's right rofl. What ever I will seek answers in better forums in this question.

Last edited by maflynn; Apr 25, 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: removed name calling
Haziza is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:34 AM   #22
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
Quote:
So everything you read on the forums is 100%?
Yet you decided to ask this on a forum? Haha get a grip and do what the hell you want with your iPad. You asked and people gave you their opinions now shove off loser.

Last edited by maflynn; Apr 25, 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: clean up
adztaylor is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:47 AM   #23
SteveAbootman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you really don't believe those who've posted, you can always call Apple Support and ask them for their facts. Probably a better bet than insulting folks who offered their opinions and tried to help you.

Last edited by maflynn; Apr 25, 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: clean up
SteveAbootman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:39 AM   #24
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Just because some in here never turn it off, it doesn't mean it's right rofl. What ever I will seek answers in better forums in this question.
I guess people just don't have to respond to this thread anymore. Op's attitude is unbearable.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:43 AM   #25
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

The funniest part is that I think someone DID offer him the "facts" from Apple's website and someone else gave a very extensive link on how batteries work.

All this over something he doesn't even need to worry about........

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad