Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Haziza
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sweden
Turn the iPad off overnight ect?

It good to turn the iPad off for longer time while at work and things like that?

It good fir the battery, it should save a bit? Begin constantley on can't be good for anything? Or am I wrong.
Haziza is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:45 PM   #2
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
This is not a machine that is meant to be shut down every night, and certainly doesn't need to be unless you're having an issue with an app. You will see that it loses little to no charge over night when being left in standby mode.
__________________
iPhone 5 16 GB black, iPhone 5 16 GB white, iPad Air 32 GB Verizon, 16 GB iPad Mini White, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic 120 GB, Macbook, 3rd Gen Apple TV, 2012 Mac Mini
spiderman0616 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
ano0oj
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Haven't turned mine off since day 1
ano0oj is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:46 PM   #4
number84
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
you're wrong....well, kinda....they're meant to be always-on devices...it doesn't use very much battery while in standby. if you'd really want to save battery, i'd rather just turn on Airplane mode rather than completely shutdown.
number84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:49 PM   #5
blackburn
macrumors 6502a
 
blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where Judas lost it's boots.
Airplane mode. No wifi radiations (I also unplug my internet router at night) and less battery drain.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad + Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
blackburn is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Haziza
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sweden
I'm not worried about the battery drain, just the battery health it self.

How do the lion battery feel about begin turned off during night and work? Is it good for it over the long time or not?

I mean letting the battery rest sometimes should good?
Haziza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:06 PM   #7
blackburn
macrumors 6502a
 
blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where Judas lost it's boots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
I'm not worried about the battery drain, just the battery health it self.

How do the lion battery feel about begin turned off during night and work? Is it good for it over the long time or not?

I mean letting the battery rest sometimes should good?
I don't think that it drains that much if I let it with 20% the next day it stays at 20% so it shouldn't hurt, since the battery also depletes by itself. I think age is more unforgiving than letting the ipad in standby during the night.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad + Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
blackburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:30 PM   #8
fs454
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Boston
It was specifically designed to be powered on pretty much always. Don't worry about turning it off until you encounter an issue, then reboot and leave it on for another month or two.
__________________
15" rMBP Haswell / 2.3 Quad i7 / 16GB / 512GB / 750M 2GB
Mac Pro '08 2.8ghz 8-Core / 28GB RAM / GTX470 / 240GB SSD/ 3.8TB
11" MacBook Air 1.6/4gb/128gb
iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey / iPad 3 16GB+LTE
fs454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:45 PM   #9
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Keep in mind that rechargeable batteries drain even when in storage, albeit very slowly. So there should be no benefit whatsoever to trying to "save" the battery by turning the device off. Besides, any wear and tear on a battery, if any, comes from charging moreso than using them.
__________________
- "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige
TheWheelMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:26 PM   #10
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 192.168.1.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
It good to turn the iPad off for longer time while at work and things like that?

It good fir the battery, it should save a bit? Begin constantley on can't be good for anything? Or am I wrong.
There is zero benefit to powering down the iPad at night. When the iPad is asleep, the power drain is so low that even Apple says it'll last a month. The "wear" on the battery in sleep is so minimal that you'll never see any difference over the lifetime of the product.

I guarantee you stress other components more by powering it off then on daily. Not to mention changes in battery temperature during this process... You're probably better off leaving it on, come to think of it.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac Surface Pro 3 i5 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display Nexus 5 Nexus 7
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:22 PM   #11
Nova Sensei
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I remember when the iPod Touch first came out, people were asking how long the touch screen would last.

As with most things Apple, the components will outlast your ability to resist purchasing a newer/upgraded model.
Nova Sensei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Haziza
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sweden
I want facts, no one on here know about batteries?
Haziza is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:39 AM   #13
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
I want facts, no one on here know about batteries?
Here are some facts:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

The posters above have also supplied you with facts, including there being no point in turning your iPad off at night.
poloponies is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
There is little you can do to extend the life of the battery. It's cells are in a constant tailspin whether you use the battery or not, whether the iPad is shut down or sleeping. It's a system unto itself.

But the good news is that the battery will likely last longer than you own your iPad... at 1,000 full charges it still retains 80%. That means you'd have to do a full charge nearly every day for 3 years to get to the 80% level. Most people don't do a full charge every day. So just enjoy your iPad and stop sweating details out of your control. In 3 years something upgrade worthy will be around.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:48 AM   #15
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
There is little you can do to extend the life of the battery. It's cells are in a constant tailspin whether you use the battery or not, whether the iPad is shut down or sleeping. It's a system unto itself.

But the good news is that the battery will likely last longer than you own your iPad... at 1,000 full charges it still retains 80%. That means you'd have to do a full charge nearly every day for 3 years to get to the 80% level. Most people don't do a full charge every day. So just enjoy your iPad and stop sweating details out of your control. In 3 years something upgrade worthy will be around.
We have 2 original iPads in our household that are in regular daily use and get charged every 3 days or so (about 400 charge cycles). Battery life is still pretty spectacular (maybe 10% below "new").
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:16 AM   #16
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
I want facts, no one on here know about batteries?
So you came here asking actual, experienced users advice only to then tell them you don't believe anything they say (even though they ALL agree)? Nice. Remind me not to waste my time again.
__________________
- "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige
TheWheelMan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:30 AM   #17
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
I want facts, no one on here know about batteries?
Are you being serious right now?

We have all owned iPads. We have all left them on overnight almost every night. It has almost zero affect on the battery.

When the day comes that you need a new battery, if you don't have a newer iPad by then, Apple charges a small fee and gives you a whole different iPad in lieu of a battery replacement.

There is literally no real benefit to turning an iPad off when you're not using it.
__________________
iPhone 5 16 GB black, iPhone 5 16 GB white, iPad Air 32 GB Verizon, 16 GB iPad Mini White, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic 120 GB, Macbook, 3rd Gen Apple TV, 2012 Mac Mini
spiderman0616 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:33 AM   #18
iapplelove
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Coast USA
OP is clearly a moron. First asks advice then says nobody knows what they are talking about lol good job
iapplelove is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:05 AM   #19
Julien
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
I want facts, no one on here know about batteries?
Here are more Battery FACTS than you could ever process.
Julien is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:13 AM   #20
Akack
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: T E X A S
The force is strong with this one.......
__________________
Enough gadgets.
Akack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:55 AM   #21
Haziza
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sweden
So everything you read on the forums is 100%? Hahahaha. Get real. Geif facts!

Just because some in here never turn it off, it doesn't mean it's right rofl. What ever I will seek answers in better forums in this question.

Last edited by maflynn; Apr 25, 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: removed name calling
Haziza is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:34 AM   #22
adztaylor
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Preston, UK
Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
So everything you read on the forums is 100%?
Yet you decided to ask this on a forum? Haha get a grip and do what the hell you want with your iPad. You asked and people gave you their opinions now shove off loser.

Last edited by maflynn; Apr 25, 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: clean up
adztaylor is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:47 AM   #23
SteveAbootman
macrumors 6502a
 
SteveAbootman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
So everything you read on the forums is 100%? Hahahaha. Get real. Geif facts!
If you really don't believe those who've posted, you can always call Apple Support and ask them for their facts. Probably a better bet than insulting folks who offered their opinions and tried to help you.
__________________
I own a variety of products all with various technical specifications that I use periodically as my needs dictate.

Last edited by maflynn; Apr 25, 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: clean up
SteveAbootman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:39 AM   #24
Simplicated
macrumors 65816
 
Simplicated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
So everything you read on the forums is 100%? Hahahaha. Get real. Geif facts!

Just because some in here never turn it off, it doesn't mean it's right rofl. What ever I will seek answers in better forums in this question.
I guess people just don't have to respond to this thread anymore. Op's attitude is unbearable.
__________________
Clarus says "Moof!"
Simplicated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:43 AM   #25
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
The funniest part is that I think someone DID offer him the "facts" from Apple's website and someone else gave a very extensive link on how batteries work.

All this over something he doesn't even need to worry about........
__________________
iPhone 5 16 GB black, iPhone 5 16 GB white, iPad Air 32 GB Verizon, 16 GB iPad Mini White, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic 120 GB, Macbook, 3rd Gen Apple TV, 2012 Mac Mini
spiderman0616 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
27" iMac won't turn on after power failure overnight skylinerrr iMac 17 Apr 26, 2014 02:56 PM
Turn UPS off overnight? virginblue4 iMac 14 Mar 1, 2013 01:13 AM
iPad overnight data usage TOADVINE iPad 18 Jul 6, 2012 11:24 AM
Charging iPad overnight virginblue4 iPad 16 Jun 25, 2012 01:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC