Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Danneman101
macrumors 6502

Put external hd inside

I'm thinking about installing Lion on an external drive to see if it's working properly (should be by now, right?), but was wondering if I can just pop it into the mac as an internal drive once I've realized it works fine?
Danneman101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danneman101 View Post
I'm thinking about installing Lion on an external drive to see if it's working properly (should be by now, right?), but was wondering if I can just pop it into the mac as an internal drive once I've realized it works fine?
Sure, as long as it fits. In fact, that's a simple way to switch drives. Clone your internal drive to an external, using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then swap the drives, so your internal drive now becomes an external drive, for backups or additional storage.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Danneman101
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Sure, as long as it fits. In fact, that's a simple way to switch drives. Clone your internal drive to an external, using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then swap the drives, so your internal drive now becomes an external drive, for backups or additional storage.
That's an excellent idea - thanks a bunch for the answer and the link
Danneman101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"I'm thinking about installing Lion on an external drive to see if it's working properly (should be by now, right?), but was wondering if I can just pop it into the mac as an internal drive once I've realized it works fine?"

If you don't already have the external drive you're going to be using, consider getting one of these gadgets instead:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...a+dock&x=0&y=0

Then, just get a "bare" drive, initialize and test it in the dock, and then "do the swap".

You can boot from the USB/SATA dock, too. Very handy device to have around.

All are USB2, but you might consider spending just a bit more for one that is USB3 (backward-compatible with USB2).
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help