Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1
breakthecycle12
macrumors newbie

Updating from Jailbroken 5.1.1 to iOS6

I have not been able to find a good answer to my question--- sorry if this has been answered on here somewhere. Updating to iOS6 is well worth losing my jailbroken OS (to me, anyway). So, will I be able to update straight to iOS 6 from my jailbroken iPhone without losing my contacts, photos and apps? Any help is greatly appreciated.
breakthecycle12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Want300
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakthecycle12 View Post
I have not been able to find a good answer to my question--- sorry if this has been answered on here somewhere. Updating to iOS6 is well worth losing my jailbroken OS (to me, anyway). So, will I be able to update straight to iOS 6 from my jailbroken iPhone without losing my contacts, photos and apps? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Yea, I am pretty sure it will work just like that.

The only time it is a problem that I know of... is if you modified the phone's baseband to unlock it. I had this problem when my girlfriend's brother unlocked my old iPhone 3G before he went to Spain for a semester abroad.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:16 PM   #3
breakthecycle12
macrumors newbie

I hope you're right! Thanks for the response.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Yes, all you do is restore or update using itunes.
Then restore from backup and all your stuff will be there.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:24 PM   #5
breakthecycle12
macrumors newbie

Awesome--- so I when I back up to Itunes (I know this works faster than iCloud for restoring) all the data will be backed up but ill just lose the custom interface and Cydia, eWIFI, etc..?
breakthecycle12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:42 PM   #6
MajesticNJ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakthecycle12 View Post
Awesome--- so I when I back up to Itunes (I know this works faster than iCloud for restoring) all the data will be backed up but ill just lose the custom interface and Cydia, eWIFI, etc..?
Correct. Just make sure you backup before you do the upgrade. Be sure you are backing up photos and stuff too or they will not restore. Also, music and apps are not backed up but instead are "sync'd". Do a full sync and make sure that what is on your phone is sync'd with your iTunes install on your Mac/PC.

For what it's worth, there are also two packages that you may want to get and use beforehand. PKGBackup and AppBackup. PKGBackup will backup all your jailbroken settings and apps including your springboard settings. AppBackup will backup all of the settings for your AppStore apps so you don't lose them. That way if you jailbreak again you can technically restore your old setups assuming that they are compatible with iOS6.

Good luck.
MajesticNJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:45 PM   #7
breakthecycle12
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Correct. Just make sure you backup before you do the upgrade. Be sure you are backing up photos and stuff too or they will not restore. Also, music and apps are not backed up but instead are "sync'd". Do a full sync and make sure that what is on your phone is sync'd with your iTunes install on your Mac/PC.

For what it's worth, there are also two packages that you may want to get and use beforehand. PKGBackup and AppBackup. PKGBackup will backup all your jailbroken settings and apps including your springboard settings. AppBackup will backup all of the settings for your AppStore apps so you don't lose them. That way if you jailbreak again you can technically restore your old setups assuming that they are compatible with iOS6.

Good luck.
This is extremely helpful. I'm definitely going to check out AppBackup. Thanks!!
breakthecycle12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:49 PM   #8
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

If it was me i would go ahead and back up your phone now, restore it to 5.1.1 and then restore from your back up. That way you will be running 5.1.1 (no jailbreak).

Then when iOS 6 is rolled out upgrade to iOS 6. it means that you will be using a not JB phone on iOS 5.1.1 for a while.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Just a note if you've used any custom status bar icons remove them before you back up. They tend to get carried over in the file regardless of jb status
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:22 PM   #10
breakthecycle12
macrumors newbie

All good to know-- I do use custom status bar icons and notifiers. To the previous reply-- reverting to 5.1.1 non jailbreak was my original plan. I wasn't sure how to revert tho--- so if I back up and restore then iTunes will restore to non--jb 5.1.1? I guess that's what I would be doing with iOS6-- so yea. You see, this is what I needed you all for. Haha. Thanks everyone.

----------

The reason I'm trying to figure this out now--- chances are good iOS 6 will be available tomorrow right? I figure tomorrow or on the iPhone 5 release date.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone