Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Rogifan
macrumors G3

How come only iPhone owners are 'sheeple'?

OK so Samsung has a new teaser ad out for their new Galaxy phone and of course they take a swipe Apple fans (in the form of sheep). This got me wondering, why is it just Apple fans to be considered 'sheeple' or part of a cult? If you buy a Samsung smartphone you're not a Samsung or Android sheeple, but if you buy an iPhone you are? I dont get it. What is the point of Samsung's obsession with Apple? Do they think they're going to win over iPhone customers by insulting them?

Yes I know Apple had the Mac v PC ads which one could argue made fun of Windows users. But based on market share that really was David vs Golliath. Can you really say that in the case of Samsung? Worldwide they sell more phones than Apple does; worldwide there are more phones running Android than iOS. Yes Apple dominates the smartphone market in terms of profit, but certainly not market share. Also I would argue people using iPhones are doing so moreso out of personal preference and choice than those who use Windows PC's (I know the only reason I use a Windows laptop is because of familiarity; it's the software I use at work every day). So this idea that iPhone users are a bunch of 'sheeple' who don't know any better doesn't wash with me. And it certainly doesn't make me interested in a Samsung Galaxy phone.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:45 PM   #2
SR45
Banned

You ask a question only a psychologist could answer....

psychology:

The scientific study of the human mind and its functions, esp. those affecting behavior in a given context.
SR45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
You ask a question only a psychologist could answer....

psychology:

The scientific study of the human mind and its functions, esp. those affecting behavior in a given context.
Welcome to MacRumors. Lots of psychologists here.

The same could have been said about Apple years ago when they made the famous Big Brother ad about Microsoft. However, I don't think they were obsessed as the OP put it, any more than Samsung is obsessed with the iPhone.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:17 PM   #4
fullygruntled
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post

The same could have been said about Apple years ago when they made the famous Big Brother ad about Microsoft. However, I don't think they were obsessed as the OP put it, any more than Samsung is obsessed with the iPhone.
I laugh when I think of those old Big Brother ads. Except who is the Big Brother now? Apple?? Just maybe.
fullygruntled is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

Samsung would kill people for the cult-like following that Apple has. They would PAY MONEY to have it. That's a fact.
Leonard1818 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:39 PM   #6
ai4281
macrumors newbie

I'm not offended by the commercials, but I find them misguided.

I don't think most Android users and iPhone users care about their platforms in the way that's portrayed by Samsung. It's just the vocal minority on either sides (fanboys) who pedantically compare specs and differences to claim superiority. It seems naive and misguided for Samsung to continually pander to this small group of people, thinking they may be winning over an audience.

Apple's Mac vs. PC commercials were done better than these Samsung commercials. The PC guy was lovable! And Apple wasn't taking shots at PC users; Samsung actively targets iPhone users more so than the iPhone itself in their commercials.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:09 PM   #7
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Samsung has a new teaser ad out for their new Galaxy phone and of course they take a swipe Apple fans (in the form of sheep).
How do you know the ad is specifically making fun of Apple fans? That's an assumption that YOU are making.
b24pgg is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
How do you know the ad is specifically making fun of Apple fans? That's an assumption that YOU are making.
Oh please we all know any references to sheep are about Apple fans. Who else would they be referring to?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post

Of course Samsung is obsessed with Apple. That's why they have ads that feature sheep and make fun of people standing in line (I doubt they're making fun of Microsoft or RIM here). That's why their head designer recently said someday they'll be as good as Apple & Jony Ive.

And as far as comparisons to the whole Mac v PC, no way is Apple the Microsoft of the phone market. More people buy Samsung devices than iPhones. Perhaps Samsung customers are the sheeple?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:30 PM   #9
cynics
macrumors 604

You'll only be offended if you consider yourself a sheep.

I use whatever smart phone my work gives me. It's currently an iPhone 4S.

Samsung isn't the only one that laughs at that behavior. Face it, if apple said they were going to start selling the new iPhone tomorrow without giving out a single spec there would be a line of "sheeple" around the building.

They aren't referring to iPhone owners but the behavior of a lot of them.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Madmic23
macrumors 6502

I don't think Samsungis trying to recruit die hard Apple fans with these ads. They're more after the casual user who looks at the ad and says "do I really want to be like one of THOSE people?" and decides to get the Samsung instead of the iPhone.
Madmic23 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:00 PM   #11
fullygruntled
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Oh please we all know any references to sheep are about Apple fans. Who else would they be referring to?

----------

Of course Samsung is obsessed with Apple. That's why they have ads that feature sheep and make fun of people standing in line (I doubt they're making fun of Microsoft or RIM here). That's why their head designer recently said someday they'll be as good as Apple & Jony Ive.

Just like Apple used to be obsessed with Microsoft.

And as far as comparisons to the whole Mac v PC, no way is Apple the Microsoft of the phone market. More people buy Samsung devices than iPhones. Perhaps Samsung customers are the sheeple?
False. Android is on more phones but more IPhones are sold than Samsung. Saying Apple is not the perceived King of the smartphone market is crazy.
fullygruntled is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:14 PM   #12
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
why is it just Apple fans to be considered 'sheeple' or part of a cult?
Salvation can only be found in the iLife!

Last edited by Spectrum Abuser; Apr 24, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Spectrum Abuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:47 AM   #13
DroidRules
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
You'll only be offended if you consider yourself a sheep.
Exactly.... As I always say no one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

Last edited by maflynn; Apr 24, 2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: clean up
DroidRules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:06 AM   #14
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Baaaaa...sorry what was the question?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:17 AM   #15
matttye
macrumors 601

Because Apple attracts more elitists/blind followers than any other company.

This is probably, in part, due to having the highest market share (I'm talking individual phones here, not OSes).

Not trying to offend anybody. It's true. I'm a member of both Android and iOS communities, and the iOS ones have more people who are willing to defend iOS to the grave than Android does.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:49 AM   #16
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Because Apple attracts more elitists/blind followers than any other company.

This is probably, in part, due to having the highest market share (I'm talking individual phones here, not OSes).

Not trying to offend anybody. It's true. I'm a member of both Android and iOS communities, and the iOS ones have more people who are willing to defend iOS to the grave than Android does.
Elitists? That's a bit arrogant of you imho. I've been using Apple hardware since around 1979 or so and I don't consider myself elitist. I just use what I love.

Typically, it's the Apple hater that uses terms like elitist and sheeple and stuff like that, while they go on and on about how open and great Android is. That's just what I've noticed over the years.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:16 AM   #17
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1wbw View Post
Elitists? That's a bit arrogant of you imho. I've been using Apple hardware since around 1979 or so and I don't consider myself elitist. I just use what I love.

Typically, it's the Apple hater that uses terms like elitist and sheeple and stuff like that, while they go on and on about how open and great Android is. That's just what I've noticed over the years.
You like what you like and that's fine, that doesn't make you an elitist.

Elitists are the ones who don't know or care what the competition does because they're happy in their little bubble. Lots of people (this site is no exception) put down Android without knowing its capabilities. That kind of behaviour is elitist. If you know the benefits and pitfalls of each platform and make an informed choice, fine..but don't trash talk other platforms if you don't know much about them.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:27 AM   #18
mrochester
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You like what you like and that's fine, that doesn't make you an elitist.

Elitists are the ones who don't know or care what the competition does because they're happy in their little bubble. Lots of people (this site is no exception) put down Android without knowing its capabilities. That kind of behaviour is elitist. If you know the benefits and pitfalls of each platform and make an informed choice, fine..but don't trash talk other platforms if you don't know much about them.
I agree, you shouldn't trash talk something you haven't tried. The problem arises when people who have tried and subsequently trash talk something get accused of being "iSheep". It basically means that in the eyes of some people, it's not possible to dislike Android. You either like it, or you're an "iSheep" whose opinion doesn't matter anyway.
mrochester is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:43 AM   #19
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post
I agree, you shouldn't trash talk something you haven't tried. The problem arises when people who have tried and subsequently trash talk something get accused of being "iSheep". It basically means that in the eyes of some people, it's not possible to dislike Android. You either like it, or you're an "iSheep" whose opinion doesn't matter anyway.
Some people are like that yeah, it's a very stupid viewpoint.

I just take exception to when people are trying to put down something without actually knowing what it does.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:48 AM   #20
mrochester
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Some people are like that yeah, it's a very stupid viewpoint.

I just take exception to when people are trying to put down something without actually knowing what it does.
You aren't to know what people do and don't know. As such, you just have to let these things slide and move on.
mrochester is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:51 AM   #21
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Samsung are trying to get their own "Cult" following. Which will never happen.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:52 AM   #22
chambone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This got me wondering, why is it just Apple fans to be considered 'sheeple' or part of a cult?
People that use these descriptions are often lonely guys fishing for reactions on internet forums, or bitter people that get angry because others enjoy using something that they don't like. Or want to like. Especially if it's something that's popular, like Apple's phones. So, I wouldn't take it too seriously. I mean, the Android following on phone forums is just as cult-like as far as I can see. And of course Samsung can make any ad they want. They copied the iphone and ipad, why not copy the ads as well, right? Too bad this particular ad is not very clever though.
chambone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:56 AM   #23
balamw

MOD NOTE: Quick post just to remind everyone that while this topic can be discussed it is important to keep in mind the forum rule on insults and name-calling.

This is what you should not do:

Quote:
Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member (e.g., "You are an idiot.") and other name-calling. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people. You may dispute somebody's opinion but not attack/flame the person who stated it. There are a lot of other non-direct-personal insults that won't necessary get you banned instantly, but depending on the context/nature may lead to post editing, post deletion, warnings, or time-outs. They include telling people to shut up and being extremely or repeatedly rude or sarcastic. It's not your place to tell other users they are not welcome; if they follow the rules, they are welcome. Bottom line -- don't try to tick off others and don't make discussions unnecessarily personal. If somebody else insults you, report their post; their post does not give you a license to break the rules by returning their insults. Although we do not read Private Messages sent between forum members, the rules for appropriate and inappropriate content apply to them as well.
Carry on.

B
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:57 AM   #24
mrochester
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambone View Post
People that use these descriptions are often lonely guys fishing for reactions on internet forums, or bitter people that get angry because others enjoy using something that they don't like. Or want to like. Especially if it's something that's popular, like Apple's phones. So, I wouldn't take it too seriously. I mean, the Android following on phone forums is just as cult-like as far as I can see. And of course Samsung can make any ad they want. They copied the iphone and ipad, why not copy the ads as well, right? Too bad this particular ad is not very clever though.
I'll certainly agree with you that the Android movement has reached cult like status now. What amuses me the most is how many of these people don't seem to realise the irony of their words as a result of this.
mrochester is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:10 AM   #25
chambone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post
I'll certainly agree with you that the Android movement has reached cult like status now. What amuses me the most is how many of these people don't seem to realise the irony of their words as a result of this.
Irony, yep. Comparable to the Windows vs Mac thing. Die-hard users of the mediocre software Gates & Co have been crancking out for years, calling people that gave their choice of computer platform some actual thought sheep. Go figure.
chambone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone