Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Gorge
macrumors newbie

How to Merge 2 iPhones

Hi Everyone-

I currently have two iPhone 4s. I used one for about a year while I was in the States and my second one was bought when I was in Japan. I had to buy a 2nd iPhone because the Japanese carrier wouldn't let me buy only a micro-sim. I had to buy an iPhone too.

I am back in the States and I want to merge all of my pictures and videos on my Japanese iPhone to my US iPhone. What would be the best way to save/export/import my images and videos?

If I could, I'd love it if I went into camera roll and my images would still show up in chronological order, not alphabetical since the two phones would have different file names.

Thank you
Gorge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
JoltinJoe
macrumors member

I'm sure there's better ways to do this, but I love Dropbox so I'll suggest it to you. It's a free, file storage app. Though I don't know about the naming of pictures...
JoltinJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Gorge
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoltinJoe View Post
I'm sure there's better ways to do this, but I love Dropbox so I'll suggest it to you. It's a free, file storage app. Though I don't know about the naming of pictures...
I have it synced to drop box already, but I prefer being able to see everything through camera roll though.

I was thinking iexplorer, save all of my photos and videos, and then copying it into my US iPhone.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
JoltinJoe
macrumors member

I apologize if I am misunderstanding you.

If you have all of your Japanese pictures loaded up to Dropbox, can you not then download those pictures to your American iPhone from the Dropbox and would they then not appear in the Photos app?
JoltinJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Gorge
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoltinJoe View Post
I apologize if I am misunderstanding you.

If you have all of your Japanese pictures loaded up to Dropbox, can you not then download those pictures to your American iPhone from the Dropbox and would they then not appear in the Photos app?
Sorry, I didn't think it through that far.

Yes, if I do use dropbox, it would work. However, everything I download now will go towards the end of my camera roll although I took the pictures half a year ago. It will no longer be in chronological order.

I may just copy all of the pictures I took after Japan and then drop in my Japan pictures, and then reinsert my newer pics. Seems like a hassle, but I can't think of an easier way.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:34 AM   #6
FeaRThiS
macrumors 6502

iCloud? Photostream?
FeaRThiS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:38 AM   #7
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
I would just plug in the iPhone into the Mac, and import all pictures into iPhoto. Restore purchased music and do what you need to do to get the stuff off of the iPhone.

Another option is just to let iTunes backup the phone, then restore from the backup to the new one. (I don't know if this option is too viable as you said merge not replace).
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:13 AM   #8
Gorge
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeaRThiS View Post
iCloud? Photostream?
I don't think icloud and Photostream back up videos.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
I would just plug in the iPhone into the Mac, and import all pictures into iPhoto. Restore purchased music and do what you need to do to get the stuff off of the iPhone.

Another option is just to let iTunes backup the phone, then restore from the backup to the new one. (I don't know if this option is too viable as you said merge not replace).
Backup/restore is a pain because my Japan phone has stuff/settings/apps that I would only use in Japan. I do have a backup, but I will be using it as a restore option whenever I travel there and keep my US backup/settings when I'm in the States.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:15 AM   #9
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorge View Post
You can still backup the videos by hand by plugging them into your Mac and let iPhoto import them.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:47 AM   #10
FeaRThiS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorge View Post

----------

Backup/restore is a pain because my Japan phone has stuff/settings/apps that I would only use in Japan. I do have a backup, but I will be using it as a restore option whenever I travel there and keep my US backup/settings when I'm in the States.
Your right it doesnt work with videos but would put all your photos into the correct order for you.
FeaRThiS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:11 PM   #11
dccorona
macrumors 68020

do they have to be in the camera roll? if you put both into iPhoto in a single album and then sync them over, they'll be in chronological order

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone