Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:07 AM   #1
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
So I got a Dual 2.0 G5....AGAIN

I do not know WHY on earth these things LOVE to pop up randomly in my life. I sold one sometime in 2011, and lo and behold, I got one from a client, absolutely free...yet another Dual 2.0Ghz G5!

Now I am going to set this thing up with OS X 10.5.8 to give to my lovely girlfriend for photo editing, but what kind of prep work should I do to it to optimize the thing? I don't want to give her something she can't use.

Here is what I was thinking:

-Older versions of iLife (iPhoto especially)
-Camino for browsing
-Mirro for YouTube?
-MS Office 2008
-Some older version of Adobe CS
-Some older version of Aperture

What else should I do to this thing to get it running good? Also, there is an ungodly huge amount of noise coming from the fan near the optical drive, what can be done about that to quiet it down? (How would i even replace it?)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:52 AM   #2
gryffinwings
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
I do not know WHY on earth these things LOVE to pop up randomly in my life. I sold one sometime in 2011, and lo and behold, I got one from a client, absolutely free...yet another Dual 2.0Ghz G5!

Now I am going to set this thing up with OS X 10.5.8 to give to my lovely girlfriend for photo editing, but what kind of prep work should I do to it to optimize the thing? I don't want to give her something she can't use.

-Camino for browsing
-Mirro for YouTube?
-MS Office 2008

What else should I do to this thing to get it running good? Also, there is an ungodly huge amount of noise coming from the fan near the optical drive, what can be done about that to quiet it down? (How would i even replace it?)
If she shoots raw, might need to get the adobe DNG converter if her camera is too new. Found this out when I started finding this out with my Nikon D5100, which is one of the last supported by the program for PowerPC.

Might want to give it a good cleaning.

Not sure about the drive, maybe something got caught in it.
gryffinwings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:46 AM   #3
craigsharp
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to craigsharp
Purchase as much memory as you can afford. As far as the software goes... iLife 09, Aperture 2, CS4, Mactubes and TenFourFox should get you where you want to be, I am currently waiting for FedEx to deliver my 2.0 DualCore PMG5 w/ 8gb ram. Can't wait i'm excited!
craigsharp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post

-Camino for browsing
-Mirro for YouTube?
-MS Office 2008

Is this a dual core or dual processor? Put the activity level at highest and clean all the fans from the inside out and the cpu grate. Dust is the enemy of G5 PMs
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:44 PM   #5
zap2
macrumors 604

If you don't already have one, get an SSD, you can use it in an Intel Mac down the road, and it's going to make day to day computing WAY faster.

The PowerMac has a lot of room for upgrades, and while most of them can't be used in Intel Macs, a solid state disk is a great upgrade that will be usable for quite a long time.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:47 PM   #6
estrides
macrumors regular

I'm going to second the SSD, they will be around for quite sometime.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:38 AM   #7
Starfighter
macrumors 6502a

But they're not cheap, the prices I have seen are insane. What is a reasonable price for a 500GB SSD in the US? And is it true that the lifetime of a SSD is considerably shortened if you write and overwrite a lot of information on it?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:50 AM   #8
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

Lightbulb

if you need to replace the media bay fan, this might come in handy:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/67281472/2...#outer_page_72
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:32 AM   #9
Intell
macrumors P6

If you do get an SSD for it, make sure you get a SATA II one or a SATA III one that has jumpers for SATA II mode. PowerMac G5's don't work very well or at all with SATA III drives that don't have a SATA II mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Is this a dual core or dual processor? Put the activity level at highest and clean all the fans from the inside out and the cpu grate. Dust is the enemy of G5 PMs
It's dual processor with each physical CPU being able to computer one thread.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:05 AM   #10
Nameci
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Nameci Send a message via Yahoo to Nameci Send a message via Skype™ to Nameci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
But they're not cheap, the prices I have seen are insane. What is a reasonable price for a 500GB SSD in the US? And is it true that the lifetime of a SSD is considerably shortened if you write and overwrite a lot of information on it?
500 GB for an average user is too big. 128GB for an SSD boot drive is the sweet spot.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:12 AM   #11
VanneDC
macrumors 6502a

what Namci said. 128gb for boot drive and few apps and wd black for a storage drive.. that would hoot!
I have a 60gb boot ssd drive in my MP and that is plenty of space for me
VanneDC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:28 AM   #12
splitpea
macrumors 6502a

I had that model, sold it about 18 months ago. Max out the memory and it should be good. A larger HDD is a good idea, and an SSD boot drive would go a long way. Depending what video card it came with, you might want to upgrade that too, especially if she'll be doing graphics work.

I started out using Photoshop 7 on that machine and ended with the CS3 suite. I'd say CS3 was definitely usable, but not snappy; Illustrator and InDesign in particular were laggy. CS2 might be a better bet.

Office 2004 or 2008 should be good. Camino runs pretty well.

It won't feel like a new machine, and the fans will run like a jet engine when you're working in Photoshop, but it should have a couple more years of life as a light production machine, and several more for the email/web/word processing basics.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs