Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sulten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Here are some pics, Is my 4s unlocked due to me being able to see carrier under settings and do i need carrier on or off? It works on off but just wondering what would happen if i turn carrier on.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
no its not unlocked just because of carrier menu,
if yours is activated before 11/11/11 then its unlocked for gsm use abroad.

Sulten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I activated mine as soon as it came out for sprint. I guess i'll have to get someone T mobile card and check.

Sulten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I got mine on Sprint the day it came out and I don't have that menu selection at all.

that's what I'm saying This video was posted in the Iphone forum so thats why i asked. it clearly says if the carrier is listed and etc

hxxp://youtu.be/D0fewiIh9IM

Sulten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
That's why i asked if my phone is unlocked. did you look at the video? I took it as if your phone is unlocked you have that menu. thats why i asked

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Sprint phones are not GSM phones, so why would this menu be there?

iPhones sold through Sprint are, as I'm sure you're already aware, hybrid CDMA/GSM phones.

When you use a Sprint iPhone in a country where Sprint has a roaming partnership with a GSM carrier, then the pre-installed SIM card automatically becomes active, and it is used to link your home Sprint account with the local roaming partner.

In several counties, Sprint actually has several different roaming partners. For example, in Australia, Sprint has partnerships with Optus, Telstra, and Vodafone. That means your iPhone could potentially roam on any one of those three services. Perhaps some carriers may have better coverage in certain parts of the country than others -- in that case, it may be in your best interests to manually select which roaming partner you'd like to use at any given time. Manual carrier selection would allow you to take advantage of that opportunity -- even if your iPhone technically remains locked to Sprint the whole time.

iPhone Warrior

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
I activated mine as soon as it came out for sprint. I guess i'll have to get someone T mobile card and check.

Using a T-mobile sim won't work. The Sprint, and Verizon, unlock are for int'l carriers only. Tmob and AT&T sims will not work regardless if it's unlocked.

Sulten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
OK thanks I want to unlock my iphone incase i need it

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
you have to request sprint international dept.
it works after 60 days of contract and if your account is in good standing and has no limit.

they send request to apple and it usually works out in 24-36 hrs.
you have to restore phone and finally you get greeted by your iphone is now unlocked screen.

and no domestic sim card will work.
you can buy canadian or any international sim card to check your unlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.