Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:49 AM   #1
beowulf70
macrumors regular

Help: CD stuck in PowerBook G4

This has never happened before to my 8 year old PowerBook G4.

I'm sure all you ODD killers out there will be chuckling to yourselves, but some of us (graphic designers) need to read client CDs with photos on... (and yes, I am well aware that this Mac is a piece of *****) Soooo unprofessional of me. Anyway...

All was working well this morning... I've read about five different CDs, then had a Finder freeze. It refreshed and relaunched all by itself, but now the CD icon has vanished from the desktop and will not eject. I've restarted twice, launched Disk Utility and all seems well. All the drive data is accessible.

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks

STATS
Mac: PowerBook G4 15", Build 9L31a
Drive: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-816
Firmware Revision: DXJ3
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:04 AM   #2
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Here's some stuff you could try.

My money's on the Terminal command, but I've had that fail on me in the past too.

P.S. Why would your Powerbook be a POS? I have two 17" PBs (one which is older than yours) and I think they are way cool (or I wouldn't be here).

I'm a graphic designer too (I work for a newspaper). All our work is done on PowerPC based Macs (G5 and G4). PowerBooks and PowerMacs are all still very viable for design work.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:16 AM   #3
beowulf70
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Here's some stuff you could try.

My money's on the Terminal command, but I've had that fail on me in the past too.

P.S. Why would your Powerbook be a POS? I have two 17" PBs (one which is older than yours) and I think they are way cool (or I wouldn't be here).

I'm a graphic designer too (I work for a newspaper). All our work is done on PowerPC based Macs (G5 and G4). PowerBooks and PowerMacs are all still very viable for design work.
I fixed it. I just shut it down. Then held the eject key down as it booted up... et voila. Simple.

I'm freelance now and some companies don't have enough Macs to go around.. tsch! So, I'm having to resort to using my old PB (Not much fun after using a twin quad-core MacPro with a 27" display for the last 4 months) but this baby just about copes with CS4.

Thanks for your help anyway.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs