Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
jeremy.b
macrumors newbie

DVD Authoring

Hello all,

I am having a problem trying to purchase iDVD from the apple app store. I have searched through it and can not find the program. I am trying to find that program or a comparable program to burn DVDs from Final Cut Pro X. If there is a free source program out there that is good please let me know.

Thanks
jeremy.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:21 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

iDVD is not available on the Mac App Store (MAS), as it has been discontinued.
You could look for iLife '11 on Amazon, it can be still get there for less than 50 USD.
In between you could try Burn or the Advanced Search for many threads concerning the topic of DVD authoring.
simsaladimbamba is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

Check out this thread I started pretty recently, I ended up getting DVD Studio Pro 4 as I was unable to find good quality free (or shareware in the $0-100 range) software for that matter. I would recommend DVD Studio Pro 4 or Adobe Encore. iDVD is good for home videos but lacking for anything higher than that.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:22 AM   #4
CaptainChunk
macrumors 68020

Quote:
iDVD is not available on the Mac App Store (MAS), as it has been discontinued.
Wow... I didn't even realize iDVD was discontinued. I guess that shows how little I actually pay attention to iLife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
Check out this thread I started pretty recently, I ended up getting DVD Studio Pro 4 as I was unable to find good quality free (or shareware in the $0-100 range) software for that matter. I would recommend DVD Studio Pro 4 or Adobe Encore. iDVD is good for home videos but lacking for anything higher than that.
The OP's best bet is probably DVD Studio Pro 4, because if he can find a cheap used copy of FCS 3 you did, it would be a lot cheaper than Encore. The only way to get Encore is to buy Premiere Pro, Production Suite or Master Collection.
CaptainChunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Boisv
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
The only way to get Encore is to buy Premiere Pro, Production Suite or Master Collection.
Adobe seems to be sitting on a golden opportunity to capitalize on Apple's recent shortcomings. I understand that DVD is the past, and online is the future, but what about the present? IMO, Apple pulled the trigger on these programs about two years too early. My customers still want DVDs.

Right now Adobe is pushing to get disgruntled FCP7 users to switch over to Premier. I'd like to see them do a similar push with Encore. Offer it as a stand alone program. Market it to Premier/FCP7/FCPX/AVID editors alike as an alternative to DVDSP. It seems they could make a killing.

It could also help to eventually convert people to Premier.
Boisv is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video