Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Hello all. My current setup is a 2011 27" iMac with a 2TB External HDD connected that runs Plex (and its Homesharing "media manager" or whatever its called to stream to my iPhone whenever I'm on the road). Anyways, I must have recently changed something in my "energy" settings or something on my iMac because now it's constantly SLEEPING (I currently have it set for sleep after 2 hours, but I don't think I ever "changed" this and it's never done this before) all the time and really making it impossible to use the streaming service to my iPhone because frankly when I'm out, I can't just "wake up" my iMac. Are there any settings that you guys in particular use when serving from a desktop machine. Obviously want to conserve as much energy as I can, but I don't mind having it running all the time (I think at least it was doing this before?). I just need 24/7 access to my library and right now it's not happening. Thanks!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
If you have an Airport Extreme or Time Machine you can check the Wake for network access checkbox in the Energy Saver system settings. Otherwise you just have to set the system to never sleep. You can save a lot of power though by having the display sleep, just not as much as the whole computer.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
If you have an Airport Extreme or Time Machine you can check the Wake for network access checkbox in the Energy Saver system settings. Otherwise you just have to set the system to never sleep. You can save a lot of power though by having the display sleep, just not as much as the whole computer.

I don't think that feature is limited to Apple routers. The WOL function is present in pretty much every modern router; usually enabled by default :) I use this with my Mac Mini OP for the same thing - works great even remotely.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I don't think that feature is limited to Apple routers. The WOL function is present in pretty much every modern router; usually enabled by default :) I use this with my Mac Mini OP for the same thing - works great even remotely.

Nice to learn. Must be a recent development. Snow Leopard, I believe, was the first cat to support this feature and it was billed as only working if you had an Apple router as well. Indeed it didn't work with just the Actiontec provided by my ISP, and it didn't work on earlier cats even though they had Wake On LAN. My understanding is that there is some BonJour proxy being used, the router acting as a proxy for the computer if the computer is sleeping, but I don't know the details of how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.