Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Winter Charm
macrumors 6502a

iPhone crashing every time I try to crop a screenshot.

I'm not sure why this is happening... I try to crop ONE screenshot in the Photos app (the native one) and I have *nothing* else Open, and the Phone crashes. It's an iPhone 4S running the latest iOS software, and I'm not sure what's causing it to crash. The image I'm editing isn't huge, it's a measly little screenshot.

None of the other apps are running in the background, so there should be sufficient RAM...

Why is this happening? I'm able to reproduce this bug easily. I've done it 7 times now and each time It won't let me edit the Image. The shutdown symbol comes up and the phone just restarts (Apple Logo >> Lock Screen)

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm flummoxed...

EDIT:

Here's how to reproduce the bug:

1. Open youtube (the native App). Take several screenshots of something (Menus, a video or two, etc)
2. Go to Photos and try to crop the screenshot using the Edit >> Crop >> Constrained >> Square
3. After a few images, you'll notice that it crashes your iPhone and corrupts the image you were editing so that every time after that, attempting to edit the image will crash your phone.

Additional note: I was building a tutorial for someone, which Is why the screenshot and crop abilities are so useful. I'm annoyed that this isn't as easy as it should be :P

Last edited by Winter Charm; Apr 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Winter Charm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

If a restore doesnt do the job just take it to an apple store, and reproduce it on front of a genius.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3
DroidRules
Banned

Stop trying to crop screenshots, problem solved!

JK, what above said.
DroidRules is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Broph
macrumors 6502

I have a 4s, with the latest version of iOS.... Tried what you instructed, couldn't reproduce the bug.
Broph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:57 AM   #5
cynics
macrumors 604

I've run into weird bugs like this. I was trying to send a certain picture to a certain friend and it would crash the message app. Finally just gave up. Lol but I could send that pic to anyone else and I could send that certain friend any other pic and it's fine.

Did you try to reset the phone? Power + home.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 01:21 AM   #6
mdouglass
macrumors newbie

I have the same exact issue, my iPhone 4S is fairly new and I just discovered this bug today. Were you able to do anything about it?
mdouglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 01:28 AM   #7
Mac.World
Banned

Sounds more like a jailbreak tweak conflict. Are you jailbroken?

While this is not a solution, have you tried using photoshop touch on the iphone/ipad?
Mac.World is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 02:56 AM   #8
albertxp06
macrumors regular

I've experienced this too on my iPhone 4 not jailbroken. It's strange because sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
albertxp06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 02:34 PM   #9
happymarkkj
macrumors newbie

Exclamation This just happened to me like this morning

I have a iPhone 4 and realized that was the problem when i took another photo and it wasn't at all starting to reboot itself. i checked all my apps, i freaked out a bit and then i went back to that picture and it was the only one causing my phone to restart and its the only screen shot that i was using i will use another screen shot now....nope, i just screenshot something from my phone and from Facebook and safari it didn't cause anything to happen, just a screenshot from instagram....so I'm thinking it was in the instagram update that made this possible. anyway i don't have any other problems because I'm hardly on instagram so as long as that was the only problem editing my photos and causing my phone to crash then I'm okay since i don't go on.
happymarkkj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:10 AM   #10
Iphone5please
macrumors newbie

Same thing happens to me, with my completely updated ipod touch. I take a screenshot on safari, go to crop it, i get the loading circle, then my ipod goes to the lock screen.
Iphone5please is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:52 AM   #11
RShakleford
macrumors newbie

Try This

its not perfect but u can take a screenshot of the screenshot, that worked for me, its not perfect but the resulting screenshot wont be any poorer quality than the original screenshot
RShakleford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:08 AM   #12
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

honestly from the iphone 4 to the 4s and now to the 5 i can actually say that has never happened to me.. it is not suppose to crash when your cropping a photo, let alone every time. somethings clearly wrong in your case, did you try a hard reset first? if not do a restore

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymarkkj View Post
I have a iPhone 4 and realized that was the problem when i took another photo and it wasn't at all starting to reboot itself. i checked all my apps, i freaked out a bit and then i went back to that picture and it was the only one causing my phone to restart and its the only screen shot that i was using i will use another screen shot now....nope, i just screenshot something from my phone and from Facebook and safari it didn't cause anything to happen, just a screenshot from instagram....so I'm thinking it was in the instagram update that made this possible. anyway i don't have any other problems because I'm hardly on instagram so as long as that was the only problem editing my photos and causing my phone to crash then I'm okay since i don't go on.
hold the home button and the top lock button until your phone shuts off completly, do not slide to power off.. tell me if that fixes your problem

have you ever thought about just deleting instagram and reinstalling it on your iphone 4 again? why dont you go and try that
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone