Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:01 AM   #1
minifridge1138
macrumors 6502a

Strange question about running a different OS

I was doing some reading and came across BeOS.
It was written by a bunch of former apple developers and was designed to run on Intel and PowerPC processors.

The company went out of business a decade ago, so I have no idea where to start.

So my question is: has anyone on this forum ever gotten BeOS to run on their PowerPC Mac?
minifridge1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:11 AM   #2
VanneDC
macrumors 6502a

BeOS.. sigh... Be.inc.. Sigh... lots and lots of great memories there... It led me to Apple.

BeOS in its incarnations never ran on anything more modern than the G3 on apples side, It ran on lots and lots of x86 hardware. R5.03 (looking at the box now) was the latest version that i bought and it was a joy to use. Lots and lots of great people developing for it in those days..

http://www.bebits.com/

I retired my last BeOS machine in 2010 (dual P3 1.2ghz) with voodoo3 vid in it. Loved it and boy did it rocket over anything that was available OS-wise at the time.

I am sure the PE (public Edition) of R5 is still available somewhere for download and if you have some old x86 hardware lying around, take it for a spin.

There were a few people trying to push the OS further when Be.inc finally pulled the pin and collapsed. Notibably Yellow Tab, and now as far as i am aware, there is only the ongoing Haiku project.

http://haiku-os.org/

Not sure where they are up to now as i havent had the time to put into pet OS'es for quite a few years.

Have a look, i see they have a live cd you can burn by the looks of things, also note that by the screenies, it looks like its based on the never released version of BeOS that came after R5.03. (the code name slips my mind at this stage)...

sigh, thanks for the trip down memory lane

Love BeOS.... a lot!!! ; )
VanneDC is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs