Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1
markw10
macrumors 6502

Where do I download Google Drive Mac App?

I am going to give Google Drive a try and I realize they don't have an iOS app yet but everywhere I'm reading that there is an app for both Windows and Mac OS X but I can't find it anywhere. Where can I download the Google Drive Mac App?
markw10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:48 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

https://drive.google.com/start#home
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:16 PM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601

You need to be logged in to download.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:29 PM   #4
talmy
macrumors 68040

They must be staging it. On my screen it says "We'll email you at xxxxxx when your Google Drive is ready." No download is possible.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:32 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
They must be staging it. On my screen it says "We'll email you at xxxxxx when your Google Drive is ready." No download is possible.
It did that for me, too, but I later got an email saying it was ready, and have already downloaded it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 2012-04-25 at Wed, Apr 25,3.33.36 PM .PNG
Views:	124
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	337286
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:08 AM   #6
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

If you can't use the Google Drive app yet, you can probably use the app at https://www.insynchq.com to do the same thing. You most likely already have the 5GB.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:47 PM   #7
talmy
macrumors 68040

It took a little more than 24 hours for me to get the approval. But frankly, I've been using Dropbox, fit within it's limitations, and at the moment probably won't be using Google Drive at all unless they come up with something I need.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:37 PM   #8
McRCN
macrumors regular

HelloFax is going to work with Google Drive, so that looks interesting to me. However, I am getting the same message that Google Drive is not ready yet.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:00 PM   #9
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

Let me reiterate..."Insync", ( https://www.insynchq.com/ ) already did what Google Drive will do: access your Google Docs in a finder window format. You don't have to wait for Google Drive to be "enabled" on your account.

Disregarding the onerous terms of service of Google Drive, it looks to be a great file sharing service. You can create a "Shared with Huey" folder at your Google Docs webpage, set sharing up with Huey, add the folder to your Google Drive, then Huey can add the folder to his Google Drive and access whatever you put in it. As far a I can tell, the content won't count against Huey's quota.

With back and forth sharing like this a free Google Apps domain account would already be able to have access to as much as 50GB (5GB x 10 accounts) at any given account.

Dropbox has this sort of sharing, also.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:26 AM   #10
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

Meh, I'll stick with Dropbox. Almost every app on the planet supports it for storage and I have 20GB (FREE!). I realize Dropbox isn't all that security-focused either but I don't store any sensitive data on it, so I could care less.

Mind you I have the account set up just don't see any need to install yet another "drive" and clutter up my machines. What we need is a storage aggregator that takes all these chunks of FREE storage (Box, SkyDrive, SugarSync, GDrive, etc) and makes them appear as a single large volume...
chiefpavvy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:04 AM   #11
vineetm
macrumors newbie

Location: Come up till saturn's rings will surely have a cup of tea there.
Cloud.....

I think cloud is a better option for you because you have a mac (but not sure u have lion or not ) if i am not wrong i think cloud also offers the same space as google drive. If you have a iPhone, iPad, iPod touch u can make use of it very happily. I am using it too but i think i should switch to google drive for my windows computer and a kindle fire.
vineetm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:51 PM   #12
markw10
macrumors 6502

I know how you feel. I started with MobileMe (iDisk) and later I tried Dropbox since some of my apps required Dropbox for syncing and didn't work with iDisk. More recently I set up SugarSync, Box.net, SkyDrive, and now GoogleDrive. My biggest concern is with security and someone getting to my files and information.
Does anyone know which one of these is the safest most secure? People I have talked to in the past seem to trust Apple's the most. The only problem is I really used iDisk a lot and I don't like how with iCloud Apple seems to have gotten rid of it. Does anyone know if there's a way to use iDisk or if it's coming back. If I could use iDisk I think that's the one I'd choose. One nice thing with having so many and 5GB in most of them it all ads up but yet it would be nice to have just one service to use.
markw10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:54 PM   #13
philbosh
macrumors newbie

This link worked for me

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/drive/index.html?pli=1

you can also get to it (atm) via the main google drive (old docs) page. It is on the left hand side and says "Download Google Drive"

although there is a 100% certainty that this will change
philbosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store