Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdubmu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am new to the mac, I am having trouble with trying to be productive. I have a lot of different windows open while I am doing work/school. I am used to the windows enviroment where I can just go to the taskbar and run my mouse over the app that is open and it shows all the windows open for that app.

What is the easiest way to beable to switch apps. I am having a hard time trying to find open apps (windows) that are behind each other.

I have a iMac with both a magic mouse and trackpad.

Last edited:

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Try mission control under f3 or bij double tapping your magic mouse with two fingers. This will give you an overview of everything running on your Mac. By pressing ctrl+f3 you see only the windows of the foreground app. I'm not sure how to see that with the magic mouse though.

You can also see all the windows of a current app by clicking and holding on that app in the dock I believe

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Hello everyone,

I am new to the mac, I am having trouble with trying to be productive. I have a lot of different windows open while I am doing work/school. I am used to the windows enviroment where I can just go to the taskbar and run my mouse over the app that is open and it shows all the windows open for that app.

What is the easiest way to beable to switch apps. I am having a hard time trying to find open apps (windows) that are behind each other.

I use http://hyperdock.bahoom.com/Hyperdock which gives you the same type of thumbnails like Windows.

You can also try Dockview. I haven't tried it yet so can't tell you anything about it. http://kapeli.com/dockview/

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if these are default settings, but on my MacBook Pro running Lion, I can swipe up with 3 fingers to get a Mission Control overview of all open Apps and if I swipe down with 3 fingers I get an overview of all windows for the current App.

You may also want to try using different "spaces" -- there are lots of demos around including on Apple's website. I find that having a few related apps in their own space sometimes helps me avoid distraction.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I am used to the windows enviroment where I can just go to the taskbar and run my mouse over the app that is open and it shows all the windows open for that app.

On the Mac, you can double-tap with two fingers (or just one finger with the Magic Mouse, I think) on Dock icons or four-finger-swipe downwards over them to see an app's open windows. While you're in that 'App Exposé' view, you can click on other icons for apps in the Dock to see what windows they have open.

rdubmu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
3 finger swipe up

3 Finger Swipe up, how do I get to do this on the magic mouse?

I guess this this best thing for me right now as it groups apps of the same kind together. Still doesn't help if I have more than one window open for chrome for example. It just groups them together. I could use tabed browsing but sometimes I don't. If I am working on something for school but want to go back to it later then I usually just open a new window...

I can't believe I miss windows for my desktop. The task bar is what I miss the most besides (onenote)... I am going to try those other apps which are mentioned above regarding to the dock :)

----------

I use http://hyperdock.bahoom.com/Hyperdock which gives you the same type of thumbnails like Windows.

You can also try Dockview. I haven't tried it yet so can't tell you anything about it. http://kapeli.com/dockview/

Hyperdock is exactly what I was looking for. I get a free trial and then decide if I want to pay for the app store version or homepage version.

Thank you for the help :)

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
3 Finger Swipe up, how do I get to do this on the magic mouse?

I guess this this best thing for me right now as it groups apps of the same kind together. Still doesn't help if I have more than one window open for chrome for example. It just groups them together. I could use tabed browsing but sometimes I don't. If I am working on something for school but want to go back to it later then I usually just open a new window...

I can't believe I miss windows for my desktop. The task bar is what I miss the most besides (onenote)... I am going to try those other apps which are mentioned above regarding to the dock :)

----------

Hyperdock is exactly what I was looking for. I get a free trial and then decide if I want to pay for the app store version or homepage version.

Thank you for the help :)

I miss this functionality, too. I'm not sure if MS has a patent on it? Well, anyway, there is one other thing you can do that I forgot about. You can click and hold on a dock icon and it will bring up all the windows for that app. Sort of what a 3-finger or 4-finger swipe (depending on your gestures configuration) will do for the *current* app.

rien333

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
The Netherlands
Mission control or spaces/exposé should probably fulfill your needs. Have tried creating multiple desktops in mission control/spaces? That did the trick for me.

rdubmu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Mission control or spaces/exposé should probably fulfill your needs. Have tried creating multiple desktops in mission control/spaces? That did the trick for me.
Thanks, I never knew that- I love how I am learning more and more each day. I always concidered myself pretty techy in terms of figuring stuff out. With the Mac I am a newbie. Right click does the same thing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.