Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azrael169

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Hi Guys,

Loving my new iPad 3, a lot faster for everyday use and web browsing than my original gen 1 :)

One thing i've noticed about the iPad is that unless you put time and effort into researching uses for it you miss out on a lot of functionality that is available for it. So the purpose of this thread is to find some cool programs/uses for the iPad that myself or others haven't come across yet... (Casual games would not fit this description). Jailbroken or not, all suggestions are welcome.

So to start this off here are some of my fav uses for my iPad:

1) Comic Book Reader - Comic Zeal - iPad makes a fantastic comic book reader, especially with the new screen. Comic Zeal also has fantastic syncing functionality

2) Offline Wikipedia Reader - Wiki Offline - Especially if you have a larger device (32 or 64gb) you can carry around the entire wikipedia database with you, of course this comes at a price, their isn't any tables or pictures but all the text is there, makes for a fantastic portable resource

3) Video Player - VLC - A gem some ppl don't know about, VLC made it through the appstore at one point in time before being pulled by apple. If you have a jailbroken iPad this is still available for you. No more having to convert videos to iTunes format you can literally drag and drop and play all video files on your iPad.

4) Remote Control Desktop - VNC - Remote control your desktop computer from your iPad, Great if your on the couch and wanna start a download or check the progress on something of your PC. (Haven't tried alot of these programs so if someone has experience with them and wants to share please feel free).

Please ppl feel free to share, i'm sure their are a 100 uses i haven't thought off. Cheers

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
5) Take photos of documents, which you can then showcase to others immediately via the vga cable. The new camera is fabulous! I do this in class, where I can take snapshots of newspaper articles or even essays. :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
3) Video Player - VLC - A gem some ppl don't know about, VLC made it through the appstore at one point in time before being pulled by apple. If you have a jailbroken iPad this is still available for you. No more having to convert videos to iTunes format you can literally drag and drop and play all video files on your iPad.

There are lots of other apps now that support this functionality. No need to jailbreak to get VLC.

One of the most useful apps I have is FileBrowser, which allow me to browse networked drives from my iPad and copy files to and from the iPad. Combine this with GoodReader, which lets me download files off the internet, and it's almost as good as having a file system on the iPad.

Other than that, the iPad is just so versatile, there are so many apps for it. If you have something you want to do, there's probably an app for it. Try browing http://appshopper.com/ -- that's more well-organized than the app store, IMO.

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
Portable gaming console.... Haven't touched my xbox360 since I bought my iPad.

GTA3, Sky Gamblers:Air Supremacy, Real Racing 2 HD, Shadowgun (Retina update FTMFW), Modern Combat 3.... All grade A games IMO

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I can't stress enough how much value is packed into the Apple developed apps like iPhoto, iMovie, and Garage Band. I find the iWork apps to be very useful as well.

Yes, these are all pretty stripped down apps, but with the exception of iWork, they're each $5. The iPad version of iPhoto is pretty powerful when you consider what you paid for it. The editing capabilities, creating journals and sharing them on iCloud, etc. is absolutely awesome and easy to do. (and much less tedious than uploading everything to Facebook.) Photography nuts will probably want something more powerful, but for the other 99% of us, it's more than enough.

iMovie has been great too. I made my wife's grandmother's 80th birthday slideshow (with music) all using iMovie. I have had a blast making fake trailers with my kids. And I love that you can capture video from right inside the app if you want to. I have yet to try to splice together home video and make a "real" movie yet, but I imagine it's just as easy as everything else.

Garage Band is pretty much the same deal. I have studied music all my life and majored in music in college, so there are some things that I wish Garage Band did that it doesn't do. But again, I paid $5. And I have made some pretty awesome stuff, even with my limited (nonexistent) knowledge of how to play guitar/bass.

I don't do a lot of document creation in my non-work time, but I do use Pages and Numbers every so often. It's super easy to type something up (I personally don't mind the on screen keyboard) and save it to iCloud. If i want to print it out, I either use my network printing app, or I just go down to my tower PC and print it from iCloud. Either way works.

I just think the most polished, impressive, and value packed apps are the Apple apps. There are lots of other gems out there too, but the iLife and iWork apps are the ones that stand out in my mind.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Added that offline wiki app to my wishlist. Sounds great.

Make sure you download TED, its free and has retina support. And the best thing about it is that you can save videos for offline viewing (had about 10GBs worth of videos at one point.)

Theres also itunes U if you wanna learn a new subject.

And Art Authority if you wanna have every famous piece of art on your ipad.

And Wonders of the Universe if you wanna watch something beautiful and learn at the same time.

Get DocScan HD for free to turn your ipad into a passable scanner.

And finally the free LogMeIn which lets you browse any of your PCs on the ipad. Makes great use of the retina display.

----------

Oh, and download Distro from the newstand. Its a weekly free tech magazine that looks great on the ipad 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.