Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scsmartt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Hey guys. Really hoping I can find help here. I've scoured the Internet in search of a problem exactly like mine and cannot find one. I have a MacBook pro late 2008 model (pre-unibody). I replaced the battery and the MagSafe adapter recently in hopes that it would fix this problem.

Basically this is the problem.
My battery charges fine and I can get almost 3 hours of use out of it. However, once it dies completely, when I go to plug it in the MagSafe light stays on green like it is fully charged and will not turn on. The only way I can get it to turn on us by resetting the smc. Once I reset the smc and plug it in the light goes immediately from green to orange and about 15 minutes later it powers on. It will not turn on immediately even after the light turns orange. I still have to let it charge for about 15 minutes.

In the past, when my battery died, I simply plugged it in and it would power right up. No resetting smc and no waiting.

Any help is appreciated. I'm hoping it's not the logic board so any advice I can try is great. Like I said once it powers on, it charges fine.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My battery charges fine and I can get almost 3 hours of use out of it. However, once it dies completely, when I go to plug it in the MagSafe light stays on green like it is fully charged and will not turn on. The only way I can get it to turn on us by resetting the smc. Once I reset the smc and plug it in the light goes immediately from green to orange and about 15 minutes later it powers on. It will not turn on immediately even after the light turns orange. I still have to let it charge for about 15 minutes.
First, why are you letting it die completely? Why not plug it in before it's fully drained? Also, it's normal that when a battery is fully drained, you may need to leave it plugged in for a while before it will start charging or boot up. You shouldn't be resetting the SMC that often.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

scsmartt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I just leave it in hibernate overnight and it dies then. I wouldn't reset the smc but the light on the charger remains green if I don't reset it and never goes to orange.

scsmartt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
There's gotta be someone out there who has had the same problem. I read through the FAQ but it didn't help much in relation to the problem I'm having.

The only thing I can think of is the CMOS battery is bad so I'm going to replace it but other than that I'm stumped for a solution.

scsmartt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
For anyone else having this problem that can't find a solution. A reset of the PRAM and PMU seems to have done the trick.

scsmartt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for the input. You're right restring the pmu did not work. I really need to fix this restring the smc is the only way to get it to come back on and it's really annoying to have to do that every morning.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the input. You're right restring the pmu did not work. I really need to fix this restring the smc is the only way to get it to come back on and it's really annoying to have to do that every morning.
Why not leave it plugged in and just let it sleep at night? That way the battery shouldn't completely discharge.

JeremiMattern

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
I HAVE THIS PROBLEM! I have a late 2008 15' Macbook Pro running 10.6.3 and I have to reset the SMC every time it dies (which usually happens over night or when I don't use the computer for a few days). Over the past couple weeks it's been very annoying and then yesterday it wouldn't boot up at all even after I reset the SMC. I went to the G-Bar today and they wanted to send it in and charge $610 for a new logic board. I said no thanks and came home defeated thinking I was going to have to buy a new machine. I came home and plugged it in, reset the SMC one last time hoping it would boot and it magically did. Seems like it needs to charge for a few minuets like you mentioned before it will boot. Anyway let me know if you have any ideas of how to fix this.

Thanks

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why not leave it plugged in and just let it sleep at night? That way the battery shouldn't completely discharge.

... and the battery will last longer as well.

MBP should always be plugged in except when you're on the move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.