Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Karenl39
macrumors member

College Note Taking App?

I am going back to college and have been handwriting my notes. However, I have an Ipad and plan on using it to take notes. Which apps are best for this?

Thanks!

I need to also mention I have a wireless keyboard I will be using.

Last edited by Karenl39; Apr 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: update.
Karenl39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:04 PM   #2
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Question probably asked a few times each month. Here's the most recent thread on the topic.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ht=noteability

One thing I'll add that you'll also find mentioned in the above thread. For college note-taking, you really would benefit from a note-taking app that also has a recording feature. That allows you to "synchronize" what you are typing with what was being said at the moment you typed it. So hours/days later, if you find yourself looking at a note and trying to remember why its important, you can remind yourself by listening to the synchronized course instructors words being stated at that moment in time.

Seriously a killer feature. Most of the more popular note-taking apps support this feature.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Karenl39
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post
Question probably asked a few times each month. Here's the most recent thread on the topic.

One thing I'll add that you'll also find mentioned in the above thread. For college note-taking, you really would benefit from a note-taking app that also has a recording feature. That allows you to "synchronize" what you are typing with what was being said at the moment you typed it. So hours/days later, if you find yourself looking at a note and trying to remember why its important, you can remind yourself by listening to the synchronized course instructors words being stated at that moment in time.

Seriously a killer feature. Most of the more popular note-taking apps support this feature.
Thanks! I did do a search and it was tough to wade through all the results.
Karenl39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I use Circus Ponies Notebook and Notability. Notability is the best app for handwriting, IMO, and also has a recording feature. 7NotesHD is also a good alternative.
jojoba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:19 PM   #5
palpatine
macrumors 68040

i posted a thread about this last year. see my profile for a link to it. in short, i recommend note taker hd for handwriting, evernote for typing (i use an external keyboard -- really nice to have this), and recorder pro if you really must record lectures. i don't. for the syncing of recorded lectures with notes, i am sure people can advise you better than me.

my notesand just about everything else in my life go into evernote. for students, i just cannot recommend it enough. voodoopad is also
worth looking at if you are interested in personal wikis.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 11:06 AM   #6
firemedicmark
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post

Cool, thanks for the help!
firemedicmark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 05:05 PM   #7
MathRulz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
voodoopad is also
worth looking at if you are interested in personal wikis.
Palpatine,

Do you use voodoopad on both Mac and iPad? How do you use it?
Old May 3, 2012, 01:42 AM   #8
marlonvps
macrumors newbie

Did u try Polaris office 3.0?
marlonvps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:44 AM   #9
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathRulz View Post
Palpatine,

Do you use voodoopad on both Mac and iPad? How do you use it?
I do use it on both platforms. Now that it has Dropbox syncing, you can easily make and edit notes on both platforms. I'm pretty pleased with how it has developed, and if you are looking for something straightforward and simple to use, I think this is a great app. One of my favorite things about it is that everything is exportable as a text file (PDFs and other proprietary files get moved into the folder as-is). So, no worries about having your stuff altered in any way when you put it into VoodooPad.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:38 AM   #10
looseleafapp
macrumors newbie

Check out LooseLeaf

I've been developing LooseLeaf - an app that allows you to quickly write and sort notes, tasks, questions, and ideas. All you have to do is write your notes, and then put symbols in the margin to classify your notes. Then you can choose to see only tasks, or only questions, etc.

It's a much more pared down approach, but I think that the focus and simplicity of it leads to better notes and easier recall of information.

The app is currently in a closed beta, but looking for more feedback - please sign up at http://beta.looseleafapp.net if you're interested.

Thanks!
Ethan
looseleafapp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:42 AM   #11
stylinexpat
macrumors 6502a

Evernote charges you for online storage and does not allow or give you the option to just store info on just your device unlike S-Note on the Samsung Galaxy Note. The S-Note on the Galaxy Note does pretty much everything Evernote does while allowing you to store info and pictures on just your device without requiring you to upload every bit of private info on to some server and then pay for the uploaded data that you upload. One has to upload and download every time. If they made it work like the S-Note on the Samsung note it would be perfect. The one from Samsung is for free and allows you to keep personal and private info just on your device without needing to upload to their server.

Even with Premium the option not to sync does not exist

They give you one option on sync and it is for Wifi only What happened to the option of not wanting to sync and allowing us to keep info just on our own device

200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID/ iPhone 6 64GB
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Readdlemate
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenl39 View Post
I am going back to college and have been handwriting my notes. However, I have an Ipad and plan on using it to take notes. Which apps are best for this?

Thanks!

I need to also mention I have a wireless keyboard I will be using.
You can have a look at our Remarks app

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HikaE...Wo4DXafqsrJNzw
Readdlemate is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps