Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sprint to Offer Unlimited Data Plans for Next iPhone, Even if LTE Included

Earlier this month, Sprint revealed that it would continue to offer its unlimited data plans as it rolls out its first LTE devices. The news led to reasonable speculation that the policy would also apply to an LTE-enabled iPhone, which is expected to launch later this year.

CNET now reports that Sprint has confirmed plans to continue offering unlimited data for the next iPhone, regardless of whether or not the device supports LTE.
Quote:
If the next iteration of the iPhone arrives with LTE, Sprint will continue to offer a no-strings unlimited plan, CEO Dan Hesse told CNET. The company is already sticking with unlimited for its first batch of LTE phones, but it was unclear whether the offer would apply to next iPhone.

"I'm not anticipating the unlimited plan would change by that point," he said. "That's our distinctive differentiator."
Hesse notes that the unlimited data plans for the iPhone have been successful for the company, attracting customers from other carriers. As announced in its earnings release earlier today, 44% of Sprint's iPhone sales during the first quarter of 2012 were to customers new to the carrier.

With LTE's faster data speeds, customers have the potential to significantly larger amounts of cellular data, and it had been unclear whether Sprint would be able to continue offering unlimited data to LTE customers for that reason. Sprint has been behind the other major U.S. carriers in its rollout of LTE support, as it initially supported WiMAX for its 4G technology, it is now moving rapidly to begin deployment of LTE to its network.

Article Link: Sprint to Offer Unlimited Data Plans for Next iPhone, Even if LTE Included
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:33 PM   #2
blahbrah
macrumors regular

Unlimited Data on Sprint is like a buffet that only has Corn Flakes.
blahbrah is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Good thing Sprint has such a robust LTE network set up!

Last edited by basesloaded190; Apr 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
basesloaded190 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

By no means am I a sprint fan, but at least they are not going with the pack.
Diseal3 is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:43 PM   #5
L-U-R-C-H
macrumors regular

Sprint sucks I'm sorry. They have the slowest network with the least amount of coverage. That's why I switched to AT&T and I've been much happier.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:44 PM   #6
goobot
macrumors 601

Sprint is so slow it's like you're always throttled.
goobot is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:44 PM   #7
skeltor57
macrumors newbie

ok

This is the reason why i will be switching to sprint.
skeltor57 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:46 PM   #8
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

They are small and need the draw to attract customers.

the bigger companies know they can drop unlimited and people won't ditch them. Sprint has less coverage and thus needs incentives.

Good for them though
BJMRamage is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:47 PM   #9
ECUpirate44
Banned

Jeez, now its going to take them even longer to makeup the cost of having the iPhone
ECUpirate44 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:48 PM   #10
AppleDroid
macrumors 6502

Really hoping for LTE but as I've stated before I'm in a non-WiMAX area so I don't expect it anytime soon. Thank goodness I have my 100kbps 3G data to keep me going. Sigh.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:49 PM   #11
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Sprints 2014 LTE map looks like Verizon's 2012 Map.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/31/29...e-map-revealed
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Codyak
macrumors 6502

Got my unlimited LTE from Verizon before they stopped offering it, if I hadn't, I would probably consider Sprint since they seem to be sticking with the unlimited.
Codyak is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:51 PM   #13
DerfBWH
macrumors regular

I've got an iPhone 4S on Sprint and while I don't love it, I can say that I've had a better experience on it than I did with AT&T when I had my iPhone 2G and my iPhone 3GS.
I've noticed that I get great call quality and fast internet when I'm in an area with high bars, but the issue comes from the fact that there seems to be little in the ways of the middle - you either get high quality calls that don't get dropped and fast internet, or you get low quality frequently dropped calls and slow internet. I greatly prefer this to AT&T's network where I had to hope and pray that a call doesn't get dropped when it could at any minute just because I was never in an area that had 4 or 5 bars. (I usually settled around 2-3 with AT&T)
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:51 PM   #14
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I would pick limited good service over unlimited poor service every time
Sprint would be my last choice for a carrier
MacDawg is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:56 PM   #15
Illusion986
macrumors 6502

Hopefully some day soon all carriers will offer unlimited data. As limiting data is going backwards, reminds me 56k days and fashion as old usually comes back in style sooner or later.
Illusion986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:00 PM   #16
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

What I want to see is free tethering or rollover data on att with all data plans. That way you get the gigs you pay for and can do what you want with them. Unlimited makes no business sense, there will be throttling, tethering restrictions, etc, or it will cost $200 a month if you can tether at max speed 24/7.
ghettochris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:00 PM   #17
johncrab
macrumors 6502

Sprint throttles users now, so it's hardly "unlimited data". We also have to discuss the concept of a network that routinely runs at dial-up speed as being all that relevant in any context.
johncrab is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:03 PM   #18
2bikes
macrumors 6502

Of course, because the iPhone, if has LTE, will not be using LTE on Sprint network. Silly Hesse.
2bikes is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:06 PM   #19
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahbrah View Post
Unlimited Data on Sprint is like a buffet that only has Corn Flakes.
And I LOOOOOOVEEEE me some Corn Flakes.
Renzatic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:09 PM   #20
daxomni
macrumors 6502

My experience is that Sprint's 3G is slower than others but their Wi-Max setup was the fastest mobile speed I'd ever seen when it came out. To this day it's still more than fast enough for downloading large applications or streaming television and movies without any problems. I'm not sure what else you'd need to do with your phone that requires more speed than that. Never had a situation where WM was slow enough to be noticeable, let alone bothersome. Too bad Wi-Max became the next HD-DVD and never made it into the iPhone. If it had I think people in Wi-Max areas would be pretty happy with their speeds.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:09 PM   #21
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-U-R-C-H View Post
Sprint sucks I'm sorry. They have the slowest network with the least amount of coverage. That's why I switched to AT&T and I've been much happier.
Coverage obviously various by location but the only time I've had issue was years ago when I'd go snowboarding (but then again, no one else had cell reliable cell coverage on the mountains back then either). I've used Sprint's service from the midwest to the southwest to the west coast.

If you have one of Sprint's Simply Everything plans (which you have to have if you have an iPhone) you can roam on Verizon's network for free (the majority of your activity just can't be on Verizon's network).

Lethal
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:10 PM   #22
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncrab View Post
Sprint throttles users now, so it's hardly "unlimited data". We also have to discuss the concept of a network that routinely runs at dial-up speed as being all that relevant in any context.
I believe that the throttling policy only applies when tethering. There is still unlimited data without throttling on the phone itself.
barkomatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:16 PM   #23
afin
macrumors member

I hate to say it this way, but is one of their only competitive edges over the others.
afin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:18 PM   #24
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion986 View Post
Hopefully some day soon all carriers will offer unlimited data. As limiting data is going backwards, reminds me 56k days and fashion as old usually comes back in style sooner or later.
With speeds increasing, there is no way that will happen. If you download at 5 Mb/s over LTE, you can do over 2 gigs per hour, 50 gigs per day, 1500 gigs per month, Most people don't use anywhere near that, and as one of those people I wouldn't want to be on an unlimited plan paying for those that do.

Data is getting cheaper per GB, lets all be happy, but unlimited plans when you can do 1.5 TB/month don't make sense. They will be heavily restricted to the point you can get nowhere near 1.5 TB and no tethering, or if there is a truly unlimited plan that you can do 1.5 TB/month it will cost hundreds if not thousands per month.

I'd rather have no restrictions on my data (hotspot/tethering/sharing between devices) than have "unlimited"
ghettochris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:19 PM   #25
forcetactic
macrumors 6502

Does sprint bill everything to primary line or does it split the charges among the lines under a family plan?
forcetactic is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion