Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:29 PM   #1
JinsterBeady
macrumors member

Best Compressor settings for Smallest File Size but High Quality

Aloha all!

So I've been searching for about 24 hours (On and off) for an answer to this questions but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer!

I'm currently editing a feature film of which I will need to deliver to the director of a film festival on either DVD or USB.
I am also wanting to be able to upload to a dropbox account or possibly youtube, whichever is easiest.

I'm editing in FCPX with a quarter RED footage and the other three quarters, DSLR.

I've exported a master file H.264 version of the film. Looks like I didn't click back to original media so is pretty ****** quality. The file size is 13gb.
I will want to export pro res and apparently that will come in at a whopping 130gb give or take.

What I want to know, is once I bring that into Compressor, what settings can I use to bring that file size down without compromising quality in order to get it out to festivals and onto discs for cast and crew to watch?

Not sure if that's all the info you need, please ask away and I'll try to answer!

Your help is much appreciated in advance!

Edit: Oh! The film is about 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Also, it would seem that due to the RED footage, the file is exporting at higher than 1080x720.
This will effect the file size??

If so, do I need to change the RED footage? (Please tell me no!)

Last edited by JinsterBeady; Dec 4, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
JinsterBeady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

You could try using X264 instead of H264. Supposedly you can get higher quality at smaller file sizes. But may not be significant enough to be worth it.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video