Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

officelogo-150x150.jpg

Earlier this week, we noted that Microsoft had pulled its Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 2 from Microsoft AutoUpdate after users reported issues with Outlook database corruption. While the issues could be fixed and the update remained available for those looking to manually rebuild their databases and install the software, Microsoft opted to remove SP2 from AutoUpdate in order to protect those users who were unaware of the potential issues with the update.

Microsoft today announced that it has released an update to SP2, known as Microsoft Office 2011 14.2.1.
This update is primarily preventative and targets those who have not yet installed SP2; however, whether you have or have not installed SP2, please run this update to bring your installation of Microsoft Office:Mac 2011 to the latest version.
The downloads weighs in at 110 MB and requires a minimum of Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1 (14.1.0).

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Update to Office for Mac 2011 SP2

tlevier

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Littleton, CO
I'll be doing it, but I already had SP2. I don't use the Outlook though, so it wouldn't affect me, I think.

I love that these apps are now Full Screen compatible with Lion.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Earlier this week, we noted that Microsoft had pulled its Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 2 from Microsoft AutoUpdate after users reported issues with Outlook database corruption. While the issues could be fixed and the update remained available for those looking to manually rebuild their databases and install the software, Microsoft opted to remove SP2 from AutoUpdate in order to protect those users who were unaware of the potential issues with the update.

Microsoft today announced that it has released an update to SP2, known as Microsoft Office 2011 14.2.1.The downloads weighs in at 110 MB and requires a minimum of Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1 (14.1.0).

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Update to Office for Mac 2011 SP2

Every time a Micro$haft product touches a Mac it screws something up. Silverlight anybody?

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
When I upgraded to Lion I found the "show paragraph" button vanished. Something about the fact that the button that used to be on the right side of every title bar got deleted.

Is it me, or is there no way to toggle the visibility of spaces and tabs and paragraphs in Word 2011 under Lion?

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Every time a Micro$haft product touches a Mac it screws something up. Silverlight anybody?

"Micro$haft"? Really?

I didn't think they allowed kids to go on the internet during school hours these days.

Do I use MS Office on the Mac? No. Am I an insane fanboy who thinks it's the worst thing since the Hindenberg? Also no.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Just installed this update.

Incredible performance increase. Nice one MS...pity I rarely use office.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
When I upgraded to Lion I found the "show paragraph" button vanished. Something about the fact that the button that used to be on the right side of every title bar got deleted.

Is it me, or is there no way to toggle the visibility of spaces and tabs and paragraphs in Word 2011 under Lion?

Must be you. It shows here on the "Standard" menu bar, not the title bar. If yours is missing you can always customize the bar and put it back.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England

I can see it, and the button is in the title bar still (in my copy at least). If those buttons have vanished, try View -> Toolbars -> Standard, to bring them back.

----------

Must be you. It shows here on the "Standard" menu bar, not the title bar. If yours is missing you can always customize the bar and put it back.

You're technically right, but it does look like it's part of the title bar...

----------

Better luck this time? Any guinea pigs volunteering?

Yeah, I've been using it since SP2 first came out last week, and I've had no problems. I use Outlook too.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
FWW I installed the first update and didn't have any problems with Outlook. In fact, the calendar didn't mess everything up when I tried to use it, so it seemed like an improvement to me! I like Outlook for what I use it for (email etc from an ActiveSync server). I don't think I'd use it as my sole mail client though. I wouldn't use Mail for that either! If there's a mail client to beat all mail clients, I haven't come across it yet.

Anyway, good news. Very fast response too!

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA

You are probably just trolling for kicks, but:

Silverlight blows flash out of the water - really, it is great.

The most recent iteration of Office is quite good too, much better than the last full release. My copy on a MBP 13" early 2011 with lion has been quite stable, and while I dont have any use for outlook I've been using excel, powerpoint and word quite extensively - large 1mb files full of tables, graphs, figures, and zotero reference manager fields.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Heh.

Luckily, I don't use Outlook so the problem doesn't affect me.

That being said, I'm still updating as I type this.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
A service pack to fix a service pack? Since I am REALLY annoyed at MS due to its apparent inability to make Outlook work on Macs, AND since I paid good money for two licenses.....I guess one more try wont kill me....If it fails to correct the issues, I'm going to uninstall Office and return the DVDs with a nice letter to the head of software QC at MS. And yes, I'm serious....Enough is enough.:mad:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
That's the last straw. I have 2 full licences for Office for Mac. One on my iMac and one installed on my MBA. I just ran the new update and tried to open Outlook...I am confronted by the message telling me I need to upgrade to the full version to use it. I ALREADY have full licences.

MS...you have achieved the holy grail of ineptitude...Now to find a jiffy bag to return those DVD's...Oh I know it won't achieve anything, might just make me feel better...Thunderbird continues to work perfectly, as it has since Outlook stopped. Maybe a word of warning here to those considering installing the update. I suppose I could uninstall it all and start over, but to be frank? I can't be bothered.:mad:

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Offic£ for Mac is a joke (it's not very good for Windows either). iWork suite is all you need for the best productivity experience on any platform. I cringe whenever I see a "Mac person" using Micro$oft Offic£ applications on their Mac.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Okay...Being a stubborn guy, and also having an intense dislike of wasting money, I started over. Uninstalled Office completely, going through finder to remove ALL traces of it's previous existence.

I then reinstalled it and ran the update. I have now configured Outlook for all my email accounts and it SEEMS to be working. I am still double sending using Thunderbird until I can be 100% certain that Outlook isn't losing mail the way it used to. Fingers crossed, I appear finally to have a working installation of Outlook. I would recommend the procedure to anyone who is having, or who had issues with it in the past.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Offic£ for Mac is a joke (it's not very good for Windows either). iWork suite is all you need for the best productivity experience on any platform. I cringe whenever I see a "Mac person" using Micro$oft Offic£ applications on their Mac.

Pages doesn't even have Figure captioning or Cross-References; those are extremely basic requirements of any modern word processor. iWork is fine if you only do simple letters or make fliers for a bake-sale, but it is not good for a lot of every-day uses in a work environment. I've also found it to be slower than Word and a lot more laggy when large images are imbedded.

I've found Office 2011 to be an excellent product with a lot of improvements over the 2008 version, extremely stable (I haven't lost a document a software crash in over a year) and easier to use than the 2010 Windows version. It is pretty powerful, easy to use, and does just about anything I could want. The cross-platform support is heads above Pages and it makes collaboration extremely easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.