Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Alicia100iscool
macrumors newbie

Can I use commerical images in my App?

Does anyone know the laws with using photos of commerical buildings in Apps? For example, could I take a photo of Yankee stadium and use it in a App? And does it matter if I start to make money on the App?

Last edited by Alicia100iscool; Apr 25, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Alicia100iscool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:15 PM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
IANAL, but I believe that you, as the person who took the picture, are the one with the intellectual property rights to the picture, and thus you can do anything with it that you want.

If you're concerned, ask your lawyer.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Greencardman
macrumors 6502

You should be fine as long as you're not using your photograph to get around copyright laws. Using your own picture of Yankee Stadium is ok, taking an up-close shot of the Yankee logo and thinking you can use it however you want is not.
Greencardman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:12 AM   #4
itsmrjon
macrumors regular

In certain cases you cannot use images of buildings. Two prime examples are the steps of the field museum in Chicago or the lions in front of the art institute. Both are trademarked and photos of them may not be used for commercial purposes.

You can find lists of trademarked architecture around the net, here's one example site http://www.pacaoffice.org/resources/...lReleases.html

Best way to find out is just to walk into the building and ask.
Old May 8, 2012, 03:04 AM   #5
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

for some things you need a property release form, much like a model release form, just for buildings. However I think that only counts if the building is recognizable.
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming