Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimCrowell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Syracuse, New York
I just update iMovie and IPhoto from '09' to '11'...

I did so because i was having trouble integrating Screen Cast in iPhoto with iMovie. (BTW: The new software did nothing to fix that problem)...

I am developing a set of video tutorials for a Java stand alone application I am developing.

I use a lot of screen cast from the application [using Voila to produce the screen cast] and several voice over clips.

This was working fine until, out of nowhere, the latest voice over clips do not play any audio as I play the video. The voice clip plays nicely in the "Clip Trimmer" and if I move my mouse pointer over the clip in the time line I hear my voice.

I figure I must of stupidly changed some iMovie setting but I have tried a slew of preference, etc. changes to no avail... I even removed the some iMovie Library Preference files suggest via my many Google searches. That did not hurt or help the problem.

Any suggestions?
Regards,
Jim Crowell...

JimCrowell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Syracuse, New York
FYI: My work around...

I lost another day trying to resolve this problem...http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

So i came up with the following workaround:

1) The errant Project name is "Project 1"
2) I used the iMovie 'Share' features and constructed a "Project 1.m4v" file...
3) I created a new iMovie Project named "Project 1a"...
4) I imported the "Project 1.m4v" file into a new "Project 1a" event...
5) I added two addition voice over instances to the required places in the new time line...
6) Next, I'll continue to produce this Video Tutorial in the new "Project 1a"...

Hopefully I will not have the same problem occur in the "Project 1a" development...

BTW: Ideally someone will know how to fix the problem because it will most likely reoccur in the near future...

Thanks,
Jim Crowell...

N0k14 D14B10

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Haveyou gone threw ALL the prefs, if so watch all the toutorials with imovie. Waht you could do is use quicktime to make a voice recording then sync it with the actual movie it self and if the problem still presists then try to fin some pro help

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Do you use chapter markers or notes at all, or happen to have the feature turned on? I've seen this issue occur when a chapter marker occurs near the beginning or ending of the clip in question, or when there is an extra marker at the beginning or ending of the project. Resetting the chapter markers resolved the issue.

jessluke

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013
SOlution

I guess its not a permanent solution but it works if you are in a hurry and really need the voice overs. Finish the video with out the sound, and export it to your movies. Go back into iMovie and import the video, you can then add voice over to the final video in a new project. It worked for me... quick solution for anyone still wondering.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
If you're looking to trial professional software, I recommend Camtasia. It's worlds apart from the software you're using right now.

happygrover00

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
I have it!!

It has more to do with iTunes. Reset your Itunes settings to enhance your preferences to include tones and other sound preferences...I pressed a bunch and it worked!!!

Yay!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.