Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
As much as I'd like to see my iPad 3 jail broken I voted to hold off for iOS 6. I think this poll tends to indicate that after this jailbreak the future is not bright for jailbreakers. I'm sure there are going to be thousands crying about how they need their iPhones/iPads jailbroken today. I am also sure he waits until at least after MWDC before making any kind of decision just so we know what's in store for the future!

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
As much as I'd like to see my iPad 3 jail broken I voted to hold off for iOS 6. I think this poll tends to indicate that after this jailbreak the future is not bright for jailbreakers. I'm sure there are going to be thousands crying about how they need their iPhones/iPads jailbroken today. I am also sure he waits until at least after MWDC before making any kind of decision just so we know what's in store for the future!

This would be true if apple was a bunch of dumbasses that does not have the power to research or pay for exploits. Even if they don't release now, there is a great chance that apple ends up paying for some hacker for the exploits or find themselves.
Don't forget that they're smart enough to find and patch any exploits released. Waiting for iOS 6 that will be launched god knows when, is a shot in the dark, with very low probabilitys of success.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
This would be true if apple was a bunch of dumbasses that does not have the power to research or pay for exploits. Even if they don't release now, there is a great chance that apple ends up paying for some hacker for the exploits or find themselves.
Don't forget that they're smart enough to find and patch any exploits released. Waiting for iOS 6 that will be launched god knows when, is a shot in the dark, with very low probabilitys of success.

I was leaning towards voting for waiting for iOS 6 but you have a point.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Think he should hold off and wait for IOS 6 before releasing his jailbreak.

On the other hand there could be some major changes in IOS 6 that prevents using the same jailbreak methods :)

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
I vote to wait. I'd rather see the exploit(s) saved for the pending iPhone since that should be a more radical overall upgrade to the 4S as opposed to the upgrade to the 4S from the 4.

Just my 2 cents.

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012

If the holes end up closed in the iOS 6 Beta's then release the jailbreak for iOS 5.X. You don't have to be smart to patch an exploit after its been released to the public, so I'm not sure what your getting at? The timeline for iOS 6 will at worst be the same as iOS 5 with an October release or at best a June/July release like iOS 2, 3, and 4. Apple is pretty consistent so it won't be much of a shot in the dark in my opinion. The only argument I see for the release of prior to iOS 6 is Chpwn's, every time a jailbreak has been saved for the latest iOS release it hasn't worked. The difference in my opinion is that jailbreaks weren't all that difficult in the past compared to now. If 1 or 2 jailbreaks are all we can expect to see anymore in a given year they need to be strategically released so that the maximum number of new devices can take advantage.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
ALWAYS release Jailbreaks ASAP.

iOS 6 will mostly likely close whatever exploits they have discovered, whether they reveal them or not.

If they got a 5.1 Jailbreak ready to go, then should should release it ASAP.

Chances are that Apple will alter iOS 6 enough that the 5.1 exploits wouldn't work anyway. And then once they stop signing 5.1, a lot of people who upgrade to iOS 6 would be screwed. And those who are still on the 5.0.1 Jailbreak would be TWO iOS upgrades behind everyone else.

They apparently have 3 different 5.1 JB methods available, from what I've read the past month - use ONE of them for 5.1 and hold the others for iOS 6.

Problem solved.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Wirelessly posted

I vote for now. Even if they hold onto the exploits there is no guarantee they'll still exist in ios6. Everyone assumes ios6 comes out this fall...probably October. So we wait from now until October for the next jailbreak? Thats 6 months. What if they have problems like they did with ios5 and it takes an additional 3 or 4 months before a public release? I'd rather not wait 6-9 months to jailbreak my phone. I'd rather have it now and then stay jailbroken at 5.1 until ios6 comes out which is looking like roughly 6 moths away. Then if I have to wait 3-4 months for a release I'm fine with that. I always choose to leverage certainties against unknown variables. Too much guessing and hoping to wait for ios6. Release it now and maximize this jailbreaks lifespan.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Question still will remain will Apple find the exploits before 6.0 or will those same exploits be in 6.0. Also i'm guessing 6.0 will be on the new iphone and the 4s maybe the 4. Below that i doubt it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
iOS 6 will be out in what, Octoberish? That's a very long time. I would at least like a 5.1 jailbreak for the new iPad right now.

glis

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
Obviously wait for the iOS 6 beta which will be released at WWDC in 6 weeks. This is not rocket science.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
If the holes end up closed in the iOS 6 Beta's then release the jailbreak for iOS 5.X. You don't have to be smart to patch an exploit after its been released to the public, so I'm not sure what your getting at? The timeline for iOS 6 will at worst be the same as iOS 5 with an October release or at best a June/July release like iOS 2, 3, and 4. Apple is pretty consistent so it won't be much of a shot in the dark in my opinion. The only argument I see for the release of prior to iOS 6 is Chpwn's, every time a jailbreak has been saved for the latest iOS release it hasn't worked. The difference in my opinion is that jailbreaks weren't all that difficult in the past compared to now. If 1 or 2 jailbreaks are all we can expect to see anymore in a given year they need to be strategically released so that the maximum number of new devices can take advantage.

So, what you're saying is, let's wait 2, 3 months for probably nothing?
My point is, if the wait time was just a few weeks, ok, let's wait... But no! No one know when it will come, neither if it will come soon, we're just speculating lol
There will always have a new exploit, sooner or later, maybe even more obvious than now, so it's not worth to wait until iOS6...

----------

I was leaning towards voting for waiting for iOS 6 but you have a point.

Thanks for understanding my point! :D

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Obviously wait for the iOS 6 beta which will be released at WWDC in 6 weeks. This is not rocket science.

But not everyone wants to have a Beta jailbreak. Its beta for a reason, so a lot of things may not even work. I would rather have a stable jailbreak release for a non-beta software, like 5.1 instead of having iOS 6 Beta 1 jailbroken.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon

It's not just wait for beta, we'll have to wait until the official iOS... What's the point of releasing in beta? If they do that Apple would release another beta fixing the exploit lol

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I voted to wait. iOS 6 is going to be a b**** and I like my phone jailbroken, don't need my iPad jailbroken.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Do the people voting to wait already have a jailbroken device? Is that why you're voting to wait? My 4S is jailbroken too but I would like to do a fresh restore. That's not the reason I voted to release it though. It would just suck if we waited and find out that the Apple patched the exploits. And like someone mentioned, we don't all want a jb beta.

Last edited:

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Somehow I hardly doubt that a 'voting poll' is going to influence Pod2g one way or another. I'm sure the final decision will be made by him and not the poll results on his blog.

G3N0M3

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
Do the people voting to wait already have a jailbroken device? Is that why you're voting to wait? My 4S is jailbroken too but I would like to do a fresh restore. That's not the reason I voted to release it though. It would just suck if we waited and find out that the Apple patched the exploits. And like someone mentioned, we don't all want a jb beta.

Yes unfortunatelythat is exactly why the majority of prople who voted to wait voted that way.

I find this extremely selfish. Why force owners of a new ipad to wait a minimum 6 months to year after release over pure speculation? Nobody knows when iOS 6 will release or if these exploits will be fixed.

Holding onto jailbreaks almost never works out, just ask chpwn. Thats why as an owner of Both a jailbroken phone and iPad I voted for immediate release. Everyone should be allowed to enjoy freedom even those who foolishly upgrade their devices.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
And I guess everybody that voted to wait didn't think about those people with a locked iPhone, waiting for this JB to do the SAM unlock...

----------

Yes unfortunatelythat is exactly why the majority of prople who voted to wait voted that way.

I find this extremely selfish. Why force owners of a new ipad to wait a minimum 6 months to year after release over pure speculation? Nobody knows when iOS 6 will release or if these exploits will be fixed.

Holding onto jailbreaks almost never works out, just ask chpwn. Thats why as an owner of Both a jailbroken phone and iPad I voted for immediate release. Everyone should be allowed to enjoy freedom even those who foolishly upgrade their devices.

And even more, why I'm supposed to wait for jailbreak in pretense for those who buy an iPhone 5?
Why can I wait and they can't?

skuid87

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Even though I don't personally need this jailbreak now (my iPhone 4 is jailbroken untethered on 5.0.1 & I'm happy with my iPad3 being in jail), I just don't see the logic in waiting.

It's a HUGE assumption that Apple wont find & patch the exploit(s) by iOS6. Doesn't matter if its 6 months or even 3 months away, you're better off giving the exploit some life now and making it useful, than running the risk of Apple patching it all up and then you've got nothing either way.

Be Smart people. Vote 'No'.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012

On the contrary, Im not jailbroken, I was on previous versions though but updated to 5.1 to mess around with some of the new things. I don't mind being stock and can wait if need be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.