Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2, 2012, 05:27 AM   #176
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
When I say internal I think of all the memory, giga's, chipsets, speed, 3G 4g LTE etc
yes that would be internal... along with siri.. Unless she is floating on the outside of the phone she is internal..
x-evil-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 05:40 AM   #177
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
yes that would be internal... along with siri.. Unless she is floating on the outside of the phone she is internal..
Well you say that the 5s or whatever it will be called will be an internal upgrade, so you think that the iPhone 5 will just look different from the outside but be the same as the 4 inside?
I will answer that...
Of course not apple must do the "internal" upgrade this year and leave the fancy features for the one after the 5
Iphoneattack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 05:44 AM   #178
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
Well you say that the 5s or whatever it will be called will be an internal upgrade, so you think that the iPhone 5 will just look different from the outside but be the same as the 4 inside?
I will answer that...
Of course not apple must do the "internal" upgrade this year and leave the fancy features for the one after the 5
i thought I've been over this...
The 4s was the internal upgrade of the 4....
the 5 will be different. look at the past 4 phones
x-evil-x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 05:47 AM   #179
Zendokan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
obsolete in who's eyes? in mine they all will be if they change the design for the better. The 3gs i would never even consider anymore.
The 3GS is at this time (4 and 4S) still a valiable iPhone because it still can run iOS 5.1.

It's not a vailable iPhone if you need to buy right at this moment (12h45 CET on 02-05-2012 (dd-mm-yyyy)) a new one, because once the iPhone 5 will have arrived, some features (software wise) will not be supported on the 3GS anymore (iOS6 comes to mind).

So Apple Inc supports at this moment 3 generations of iPhones at the same time.
__________________
iPhone 3GS, 4S, 4S, 5S,
iMac 27", MBA 13", MBP 17"
iPad 2 & Air,
iPod Nano 6th gen, Touch 5th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen (Red)
Zendokan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 05:50 AM   #180
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
The 3GS is at this time (4 and 4S) still a valiable iPhone because it still can run iOS 5.1.

It's not a vailable iPhone if you need to buy right at this moment (12h45 CET on 02-05-2012 (dd-mm-yyyy)) a new one, because once the iPhone 5 will have arrived, some features (software wise) will not be supported on the 3GS anymore (iOS6 comes to mind).

So Apple Inc supports at this moment 3 generations of iPhones at the same time.
yes i understand that. but to ME i tend to get the latest and greatest. i passed on the 4s i was a bit disappointed by that launch so i passed it up.
Im saying i would never go back to a 3gs if i even lost my phone and couldn't get a newer one. Its obsolete to ME.
To a normal person they could care less they would love a 3gs...
x-evil-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:31 AM   #181
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
i thought I've been over this...
The 4s was the internal upgrade of the 4....
the 5 will be different. look at the past 4 phones
Ok let's take the 3G for example

How do you know the transition from 4s to 5 won't be like the 1G to 3G?
it hardly had any new fancy features it's main selling point was the 3G speed

Apple did not add many fancy features to the 3 because of the 3G speed upgrade, if they would have also crammed it with as many new features as the 4 then it would have been too expensive for the general public to afford

However because 4G LTE was not available for the iPhone 4, apple done the cramming scenario so the phone will be worth the price

This year i think will be similar to the 3g as I don't think the 5 will have as many features as the 4 did because the money spent for these fancy features are going towards 4g LTE, that is unless you want apple to sell a 1000 dollar plus iPhone which no one will buy

Last edited by Iphoneattack; May 2, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Iphoneattack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:38 AM   #182
Zendokan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
Ok let's take the 3G for example

How do you know the transition from 4s to 5 won't be like the 2g to 3G?
it hardly had any new fancy features it's main selling point was the 3G speed
There never was a "2G".

The iPhones have been 1, 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S.

Edit:
The only difference between the "1" and the "3G" was that the latter had 3g.
__________________
iPhone 3GS, 4S, 4S, 5S,
iMac 27", MBA 13", MBP 17"
iPad 2 & Air,
iPod Nano 6th gen, Touch 5th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen (Red)
Zendokan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:50 AM   #183
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
There never was a "2G".

The iPhones have been 1, 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S.

Edit:
The only difference between the "1" and the "3G" was that the latter had 3g.
Lol sorry I see some sites calling it 2g lol

----------

I edited my last point to make it clearer to why I believe the transition to 5 will be like the transition to 3G.

It is common sense
Iphoneattack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:05 AM   #184
Zendokan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Belgium
If we leave the "iPhone 1" out of the equation, because it's the start of a new line.
than we know this:

- iPhone 3G = CPU ARM 1176JZ, DRAM 128 MB, GPU MBX 103Mhz, form: rounded plastic back
- iPhone 3GS = CPU ARM Cortex A8, DRAM 256 MB, GPU X535 150Mhz, form: identical to 3G
- iPhone 4 = CPU Apple A4, DRAM 512 MB, GPU X535 200Mhz, form: straight glass back
- iPhone 4S = CPU Apple A5, DRAM 512 MB, GPU X543MP2 200Mhz, form: identical to 4

So based on the last previous models, we see that the hardware changes with every model, but that the exterior follows a two-year cycle.

The educated guess would be that there will be new hardware AND a new exterior. How, what, where...we don't know until the "iPhone 5" is released.
__________________
iPhone 3GS, 4S, 4S, 5S,
iMac 27", MBA 13", MBP 17"
iPad 2 & Air,
iPod Nano 6th gen, Touch 5th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen (Red)
Zendokan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:14 AM   #185
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
If we leave the "iPhone 1" out of the equation, because it's the start of a new line.
than we know this:

- iPhone 3G = CPU ARM 1176JZ, DRAM 128 MB, GPU MBX 103Mhz, form: rounded plastic back
- iPhone 3GS = CPU ARM Cortex A8, DRAM 256 MB, GPU X535 150Mhz, form: identical to 3G
- iPhone 4 = CPU Apple A4, DRAM 512 MB, GPU X535 200Mhz, form: straight glass back
- iPhone 4S = CPU Apple A5, DRAM 512 MB, GPU X543MP2 200Mhz, form: identical to 4

So based on the last previous models, we see that the hardware changes with every model, but that the exterior follows a two-year cycle.

The educated guess would be that there will be new hardware AND a new exterior. How, what, where...we don't know until the "iPhone 5" is released.
No doubt I think the hardware will change but I do not think we will have any over the top features like how the 4 had FaceTime, front camera or retina.

I don't think apple has yet to introduce any over the top exclusive features more than what the 4s has because they were only introduced less than a year ago. Not much could have changed besides minor tweaks
Iphoneattack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:17 AM   #186
eastercat
macrumors 68040
 
eastercat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PDX
I envy the OP getting in on the S model. I'm really tempted to skip this year's upgrade and wait for next year. If I skip, apple will have had time to work out any kinks in the design (I still remember the iphone 4's antenna furor on the boards) and see how the jb community is doing with the new jb. Waiting for the jb was a big annoyance.
The main reason to upgrade this year would be for the new design, along with lte. If apple actually increased the screen size, I'd have to reconsider and do some one handed fondling. Stubby fingers don't work well with large screens.
__________________
64 GB space grey iPhone 5S (AT&T); 16 GB space grey iPad retina mini (Verizon with T-Mobile sim); 2014 rMBP 2.8 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
eastercat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:32 AM   #187
Zendokan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
No doubt I think the hardware will change but I do not think we will have any over the top features like how the 4 had FaceTime, front camera or retina.

I don't think apple has yet to introduce any over the top exclusive features more than what the 4s has because they were only introduced less than a year ago. Not much could have changed besides minor tweaks
It's a smartPHONE!

Its primairly tasks are phoning, texting, surfing the web, videoconference and taking pictures. Beside that you can also use it as a very good media-player (music, movies and games).

I've got the full iWork and iLife installed, but I'm not really going to type a complete thesis on it or do some high-level movie-editing.

The 4S already got two cameras, voice reconnition, touchscreen and so on.
Do not expect life-changing new features, just expect a constant improvement of technology, exterior and software with every new cycle.
__________________
iPhone 3GS, 4S, 4S, 5S,
iMac 27", MBA 13", MBP 17"
iPad 2 & Air,
iPod Nano 6th gen, Touch 5th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen (Red)
Zendokan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:51 AM   #188
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
It's a smartPHONE!

Its primairly tasks are phoning, texting, surfing the web, videoconference and taking pictures. Beside that you can also use it as a very good media-player (music, movies and games).

I've got the full iWork and iLife installed, but I'm not really going to type a complete thesis on it or do some high-level movie-editing.

The 4S already got two cameras, voice reconnition, touchscreen and so on.
Do not expect life-changing new features, just expect a constant improvement of technology, exterior and software with every new cycle.
So you agree with me?

Also
What I like us that the software can work on the 4s and 4

Last edited by Iphoneattack; May 2, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
Iphoneattack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:32 AM   #189
cynics
macrumors 604
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
God I hope they come up with better "exclusive features" the FaceTime and Siri!!

FaceTime requires wifi without jailbreak. And Siri is all but useless (my opinion).

I need hardware!! Come on the 4 would have come out the same time as the LTE thunderbolt if it wasn't delayed a month. Now idevices are getting this technology that I've been using for over a year! That's innovation? Dated hardware and restrictive software.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:35 AM   #190
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
Or IF they could do it

IMO I really think the reason the 4 was "ahead of its time" was because LTE was not available yet so apple had to cram in some goodies that will persuade the customer. But now that LTE is all set apple just have to tweak a bit of the internals and slap on a new design look and they are good to go. That's why I think it will be a 2g to 3G like transition and since the 4s is selling pretty good til now I don't think apple feel its a must to spend money on over the top features which will cost the customer more. Which is a good business view. They can still milk out the 4s features on the 5.
Yeah, I think that's pretty accurate. They have an incredibly strong-selling line. They did three generations with the OG/3G/3GS design, I don't see why they couldn't pull off three generations of the 4/4s/4G.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:55 AM   #191
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
God I hope they come up with better "exclusive features" the FaceTime and Siri!!

FaceTime requires wifi without jailbreak. And Siri is all but useless (my opinion).

I need hardware!! Come on the 4 would have come out the same time as the LTE thunderbolt if it wasn't delayed a month. Now idevices are getting this technology that I've been using for over a year! That's innovation? Dated hardware and restrictive software.
I don't think you should be expecting a FaceTime or Siri like exclusive feature in the 5 as I am almost certain the selling point will be around the 4G LTE and bigger screen
Iphoneattack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:55 PM   #192
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oh well I'm keeping my 4S till it's the 3GS of today
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:20 PM   #193
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
I don't think you should be expecting a FaceTime or Siri like exclusive feature in the 5 as I am almost certain the selling point will be around the 4G LTE and bigger screen
That's exactly what I expect.

IMHO ... 75% chance of LTE and 90% chance of bigger screen.

I expect the CPU/GPU/camera/etc: to have the same specs.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:37 PM   #194
cynics
macrumors 604
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
If the screen gets bigger the resolution will need to increase right? If not it won't look as nice. If the resolution increases won't the CPU/gpu need to get better? If not won't performance degrade?

Or am I incorrect saying this?
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 03:38 PM   #195
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
If the screen gets bigger the resolution will need to increase right? If not it won't look as nice. If the resolution increases won't the CPU/gpu need to get better? If not won't performance degrade?

Or am I incorrect saying this?
Yes to all those. They will have a better chip no matter what. If the screen increaseases the resolution will be different than current. Same thing happened with the new iPad and when the iPhone went retina on the 4.
x-evil-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:21 PM   #196
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
If the screen gets bigger the resolution will need to increase right? If not it won't look as nice. If the resolution increases won't the CPU/gpu need to get better? If not won't performance degrade?

Or am I incorrect saying this?
Their resolution density is so far above what most other phones have, that a 4" screen at current resolution would be no problem, except for UI elements all becoming physically different sizes, which would wreak havoc for developers.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:27 PM   #197
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Their resolution density is so far above what most other phones have, that a 4" screen at current resolution would be no problem, except for UI elements all becoming physically different sizes, which would wreak havoc for developers.
They have put up with this "havoc" on the new iPad. And also when the iPhone 4 came out. Definitely possible to do it again.
x-evil-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: Mini is great, but Air is vastly superior. doug in albq iPad 239 May 11, 2014 09:40 AM
DL Speeds differ asantig MacBook Pro 0 Aug 14, 2013 12:28 AM
Itunes sharing speeds vastly different AppleTV/ iphone Mavimao Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Apr 20, 2013 02:30 AM
Vastly simplified internals? Opspin iMac 1 Oct 29, 2012 03:05 AM
Do the 3.1 and 2.7 27" iMac differ much? Lukasic iMac 1 Jul 11, 2012 11:13 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC