Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
We know Samsung has an unhealthy obsession with Apple, but this is getting a little weird. This week in Australia, Samsung hired a marketing agency called Tongue to conduct some kind of guerrilla marketing campaign where they sent a bus of protesters to an Apple store and taunted people with the message “WAKE UP.” Check out the video below and let us know what you think.

samsung-wake-up.jpg

Video

Source

This just seems insulting, implying I have to "Wake Up" just because I like my iPhone....

Last edited:

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Love it. So simple and it seems to be spreading around the web like crazy. Good job, whoever made it happen :)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Stupid bit of publicity from Samsung but you should never feel insulted over a faceless corporations views on an inanimate object produced by another faceless corporation.

Life is too short to worry about such things IMO.

All they have managed to do is alienate you as a consumer I'd guess. You win that one.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thb Samsung wouldn't get away with this everywhere. It could be classed as intimidation certainly by UK law

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It seems a bit low and rather bizarre, but if it works (in terms of publicity), its a success.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
A couple of questions:

How do we know it's Samsung? Sorry if I missed something, but in the video I didn't see anything indicating Samsung

Second...what the hell does it mean. Wake up to what? Wake up from what? And what does it have to do with Apple?...if anything.

It looked like they were just starting doing whatever they were doing at the Apple Store, and then moving on to some other venue.

Basically...WTF!!??:confused:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
A couple of questions:

How do we know it's Samsung? Sorry if I missed something, but in the video I didn't see anything indicating Samsung

Second...what the hell does it mean. Wake up to what? Wake up from what? And what does it have to do with Apple?...if anything.

It looked like they were just starting doing whatever they were doing at the Apple Store, and then moving on to some other venue.

Basically...WTF!!??:confused:

I don't know, the article I read said it was Samsung but I don't know what proof they have. Also Samsung have been poking fun at Apple fans in many of their adverts, showing us as sheep, or mindless drones. I think they mean wake up that.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't know, the article I read said it was Samsung but I don't know what proof they have. Also Samsung have been poking fun at Apple fans in many of their adverts, showing us as sheep, or mindless drones. I think they mean wake up that.

Wait, you associate with the people shown in Samsung's ads ? As an Apple user, I will stand by Samsung and laugh at those "fans" of "Apple". Seriously, feeling attachment to faceless corporations is just wrong and yes, anyone that is in that mindset needs to "Wake up!".

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Wait, you associate with the people shown in Samsung's ads ? As an Apple user, I will stand by Samsung and laugh at those "fans" of "Apple". Seriously, feeling attachment to faceless corporations is just wrong and yes, anyone that is in that mindset needs to "Wake up!".

I don't associate with those, but I feels like Samsung thinks everyone who owns an iPhone is a sheep and needs to "Wake up". I wouldn't automatically say I'm a fan of them, more an iPhone fan, however I'm jumping ship soon to try the Lumia 900.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I don't get this ad from Samsung? I did wake up 3 years ago and went from a Samsung phone to an iPhone and have had an iPhone ever since. I couldn't be happier.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't associate with those, but I feels like Samsung thinks everyone who owns an iPhone is a sheep and needs to "Wake up". I wouldn't automatically say I'm a fan of them, more an iPhone fan, however I'm jumping ship soon to try the Lumia 900.

I'm not a fan of anything related to electronics. That's just ludicrous in my mind.

And I don't feel like Samsung thinks everyone who owns an iPhone is a sheep, only those who stand in line waiting to buy one and bash anything else on the market. And frankly, I find those people need to wake up too.

You know what they say, if the hat fits...

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I'm not a fan of anything related to electronics. That's just ludicrous in my mind.

And I don't feel like Samsung thinks everyone who owns an iPhone is a sheep, only those who stand in line waiting to buy one and bash anything else on the market. And frankly, I find those people need to wake up too.

You know what they say, if the hat fits...

The Ad with the mindless drones didn't bother me at all, because I have never stood in line for anything the day before. This ad however was aimed at anyone who's been into an Apple Store. Seeing as that's what they targeted.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The Ad with the mindless drones didn't bother me at all, because I have never stood in line for anything the day before. This ad however was aimed at anyone who's been into an Apple Store. Seeing as that's what they targeted.

You see in it what you want to see in it. Frankly, I loathe going to the Apple store, I find the experience there is terrible and I go only when I absolutely must, so I don't see it that way. I don't feel they are targeting me at all. All the other people who just hang out at Apple stores though, making my experience a total nightmare ? Yeah, they need to wake up and get out if they have no business there so I can conduct mine in a timely fashion.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wake up to what? Lousy software and even worse support?

We've *already* awoken to superior User Experiences, the best consumer mobile devices on the planet, and the best service in the industry.

I suppose Samsung doesn't read Consumer Satisfaction reports. All they need to do is read the tech headlines, day after day.

Even during Apple's alleged "weak quarter", they still sold 35 million iPhones, have the only tablet that actually appeals to consumers, continue to outpace the PC industry in growth, and have the entire industry in breathless expectation about what market they'll conquer next.

But Samsung will resort to anything, rip anything off, and sink as low as they need to in order to grab Apple users. But they aren't actually doing that. All they're doing is hurting other Android OEMs. Which is fine, really. Let em fight over Android.

Years ago it was all the "Windows sheep" who got roped in thanks to Microsoft's universal licensing racket. But today, it's all the Apple fans, because they have *actively chosen* Apple gear, rather than the sea of Wintel that still clogs the market. The mass demand for and satisfaction with Apple gear isn't indicative of mindless drones. It indicates consumer recognition of quality and value. Finally.

I guess that makes us "Elitist." Quite a compliment, if there ever was one.

Signed,

Happy iSheep.

Last edited:

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Wake up to what? Lousy software and even worse support?

We've *already* awoken to superior User Experiences, the best consumer mobile devices on the planet, and the best service in the industry.

I suppose Samsung doesn't read Consumer Satisfaction reports. All they need to do is read the tech headlines, day after day.

Even during Apple's alleged "weak quarter", they still sold 35 million iPhones, have the only tablet that actually appeals to consumers, continue to outpace the PC industry in growth, and have the entire industry in breathless expectation about what market they'll conquer next.

But Samsung will resort to anything, rip anything off, and sink as low as they need to in order to grab Apple users. But they aren't actually doing that. All they're doing is hurting other Android OEMs. Which is fine, really. Let em fight over Android.

Years ago it was all the "Windows sheep" who got roped in thanks to Microsoft's universal licensing racket. But today, it's all the Apple fans, because they have *actively chosen* Apple gear, rather than the sea of Wintel that still clogs the market. The mass demand for and satisfaction with Apple gear isn't indicative of mindless drones. It indicates consumer recognition of quality and value. Finally.

I guess that makes us "Elitist." Quite a compliment, if there ever was one.

Signed,

Happy iSheep.

Even when a thread has nothing to do with Microsoft you manage to get the dagger in.

Just a bit surprised you didn't find a way to attack RIM at the same time.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Is there any actual proof that this is a Samsung campaign?

If it is, it's certainly doing a good job of getting people's attention.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
AppleInsider has a story on this.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ind_mock_protest_flashmob_at_apple_store.html

IMHO, its just about interesting enough to post... nothing more or less.

This seems like something that is or should be illegal.

Why? Because Apple was the target? Would you be upset if it was a microsoft store?
Make this illegal you'd have to ban all flash mobs in public areas. They weren't trespassing on Apple property - I'm assuming Apple don't own the sidewalk immediately outside their store.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Of course it'll get attention. It's something awkward and stupid on large scale.

I agree that it's awkward because it doesn't really get any particular message across (wake up from what?).

Again, who is actually responsible for this?

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Is there any actual proof that this is a Samsung campaign?

If it is, it's certainly doing a good job of getting people's attention.

It's getting attention for the wrong reasons, though. If I go outside and yell random things, it'll get attention, but not necessarily good attention.

I don't mind Samsung products, but it seems they'd simply be encouraging the same sort of brand loyalty that they're apparently ridiculing Apple customers for having.

Of course, this might not be Samsung and I hope it's not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.