Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:50 AM   #1
htg
macrumors regular

The Unsolvable Problem: Hard Drive Install in Powermac G4

Here's the situation: Stuck a hard drive in my Powermac G4, connected it, put in a Tiger install disk, everything running smoothly until WHAM! I leave the room for 3 minutes, and it turns itself off. It was in the process of installing, so don't know what damage its done. Nobody touched it. Can't figure out what the problem is.

Connected to my HDTV with an DVI to HDMI connector, not that it would make much difference, as it was working fine before. Now, whenever I try to power it up, I hear the chime but then no image shows.

A bit baffled.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Heavertron
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by htg View Post
Here's the situation: Stuck a hard drive in my Powermac G4, connected it, put in a Tiger install disk, everything running smoothly until WHAM! I leave the room for 3 minutes, and it turns itself off. It was in the process of installing, so don't know what damage its done. Nobody touched it. Can't figure out what the problem is.

Connected to my HDTV with an DVI to HDMI connector, not that it would make much difference, as it was working fine before. Now, whenever I try to power it up, I hear the chime but then no image shows.

A bit baffled.
Can you boot the tiger install CD again?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:25 PM   #3
skinniezinho
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to skinniezinho
run the apple hardware test cd (if you don't have it, download it, there are links in the faq in my sig).
F.A.Q for PowerPC Macs Powerpc Upgrades
skinniezinho is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs