Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1
dpmaki
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gaming on iMac

I've been reading through the forums and have seen a few posts referencing how well processors handle fps for BF3. If these processors find their way into the new iMacs how would one play a game like BF3? I'm assuming utilizing boot camp and playing it through windows, but can someone confirm?
dpmaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a
 
Razorhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmaki View Post
I've been reading through the forums and have seen a few posts referencing how well processors handle fps for BF3. If these processors find their way into the new iMacs how would one play a game like BF3? I'm assuming utilizing boot camp and playing it through windows, but can someone confirm?
Yes, you would need to play it on Windows in Bootcamp. BF3 is not supported on OS X that I know of. Most games in general will perform better in Windows.
Razorhog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3
leman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmaki View Post
I've been reading through the forums and have seen a few posts referencing how well processors handle fps for BF3. If these processors find their way into the new iMacs how would one play a game like BF3? I'm assuming utilizing boot camp and playing it through windows, but can someone confirm?
BF3 runs around 24 fps on native resolution (maxed out iMac 27") which may be to low for some. Its rather playable at 1080p/medium settings. Overall, I haven't find a game yet which wouldn't be absolutely playable on the iMac, provided you don't care for max settings and AA. The curent-gen iMac is absolutely sufficient for games Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 or any existing or upcoming MMORPG.

The new generation of iMacs should be much better at gaming though because the new AMD 7970M GPU promises to be a monster. If Apple will put it inside a new model of course If there will be a new model
leman is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:41 PM   #4
iCFX
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Under your Desk
iMacs have mobile GPUs which is a downside (trade of for less noise, size) therefore not doing as well in gaming as a normal Desktop Computer.

While you will be able to play majority of the games on the iMac you will most likely not be able to get the to experience AA, PP and other features which are either heavy GPU/CPU intensive. But nevertheless it will still do the job around medium to max settings.

This is the thing with iMacs they are rather clean desktops to really ment for programs which are GPU intense (gaming, 3d editing) or heavy CPU applications (video rendering). You have a trade-off between performance and the efficiency (by efficiency I mean no cables, everything is all in one as well as power consumption).

For pure gaming either go with the Mac Pro or a self built (or order parts and have it assembled) desktop PC (Windows based machine // oem pc) as you will be held back with the iMac. Don't get me wrong though, it will still be able to do the job, but as the second poster has mentioned already, you won't get max settings with 40+ fps (which of course is dependable on the game you are running).
iCFX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Fynd
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Assuming the new iMac does indeed use the 7970m, it will be QUITE capable. The card looks to be equivale to a gtx 580 desktop card, withoutany overclocking and without an ivy bridge chip behind it.
__________________
2012 27" iMac (i7, 680MX, Fusion)
16GB Black & Slate iPhone 5
16GB LTE Black & Slate iPad Mini
Apple TV 3
Fynd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:27 PM   #6
lifeguard90
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynd View Post
Assuming the new iMac does indeed use the 7970m, it will be QUITE capable. The card looks to be equivale to a gtx 580 desktop card, withoutany overclocking and without an ivy bridge chip behind it.
7970m 2GB gnu with i7 Ivy will be amazing 16GB Ram , maybe even ssd too
lifeguard90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:30 PM   #7
iCFX
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Under your Desk
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard90 View Post
7970m 2GB gnu with i7 Ivy will be amazing 16GB Ram , maybe even ssd too
Yep Ivy sounds great so far although not so great for the Desktop enthusiast market (worse overclocking capabilities) but other then that hopefully its going to be nice, though 16GB Ram is an overkill ^^

/facepalm me for buying the 2011 model few months ago (4 months ago or so), guess that is the thing with technology, keep holding off and you will never get a thing :P
iCFX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:05 PM   #8
bawbac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynd View Post
Assuming the new iMac does indeed use the 7970m, it will be QUITE capable. The card looks to be equivale to a gtx 580 desktop card, withoutany overclocking and without an ivy bridge chip behind it.
Even if this is the case, it "might" be able to play current games but newer games usually tend to push their limits and require better GPU's.

The iMac will always not be ideal for GPU intensive games & was never intended to be.
__________________
iPhone5s, iPhone5, two iPad4's, iPod Nano, iPod Classic
bawbac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:23 AM   #9
iCFX
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Under your Desk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynd View Post
Assuming the new iMac does indeed use the 7970m, it will be QUITE capable. The card looks to be equivale to a gtx 580 desktop card, withoutany overclocking and without an ivy bridge chip behind it.
7970m will not be equivalent to a 580 desktop card, more like better then the 580m but not as good as the 580 desktop card considering one is mobile GPU and the other full on desktop gpu with higher clock speeds, shaders and all that shenanigans.

At least as far as I know, here as some benchmarks for the desktop cards for Battlefield 3 - 2560x1600 Ultra Settings.
iCFX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:44 AM   #10
RobinHood5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard90 View Post
7970m 2GB gnu with i7 Ivy will be amazing 16GB Ram , maybe even ssd too
You literally quoted the setup I'm getting (assuming what graphics it's using)
RobinHood5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:05 AM   #11
FeaRThiS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Why would anyone buy an imac for gaming I dont understand. It like buying a mac mini as a laptop.
FeaRThiS is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:14 AM   #12
Occamsrazr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I plan to buy an iMac for gaming because I only play blizzard games. Assuming the 2012 iMac can play Diablo 3 on max settings, I will be perfectly happy to use my mac for gaming. I also use it for managing family photos, music, and our iphones and ipad. I can't even imagine bringing a PC into the happy "it just works" mac universe. Right now, everything syncs perfectly, time machine works (and has saved my ass several times), and I never get any viruses.

That's why someone would buy an iMac for gaming.
Occamsrazr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:24 AM   #13
dr Dunkel
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
If you are not that enthusiastic about your gaming, an iMac will do just fine. Just don't expect to max out games at native resolution. Well, some games might work... but, you know what I mean.

Regarding the 7970m, that must find its way to the 2012 iMac. Really hoping for some decent graphics.
__________________
2009 13" MBP
iPad 2
iPhone 4/iPhone 3GS
iPod Classic
dr Dunkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:09 PM   #14
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816
 
iMacFarlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occamsrazr View Post
I plan to buy an iMac for gaming because I only play blizzard games. Assuming the 2012 iMac can play Diablo 3 on max settings, I will be perfectly happy to use my mac for gaming. I also use it for managing family photos, music, and our iphones and ipad. I can't even imagine bringing a PC into the happy "it just works" mac universe. Right now, everything syncs perfectly, time machine works (and has saved my ass several times), and I never get any viruses.

That's why someone would buy an iMac for gaming.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I've been gaming for 20+ years, and until I switched to iMac 2 years ago, you know what game I played 10 times more than any other one? The instant action 're-install Windows again' game. Or, if I was in the mood for a campaign, the 'format C:\ and re-install everything' game. Two years and going strong on my iMac, never had to play either one of them.
iMacFarlane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:21 PM   #15
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I've been gaming for 20+ years, and until I switched to iMac 2 years ago, you know what game I played 10 times more than any other one? The instant action 're-install Windows again' game. Or, if I was in the mood for a campaign, the 'format C:\ and re-install everything' game. Two years and going strong on my iMac, never had to play either one of them.
Hmm, you seem to have been playing things incorrectly.

I have a computer running Windows 7 at the moment. It is 3 years old and still on its original install.

Sue De Nimes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:47 PM   #16
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816
 
iMacFarlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
Hmm, you seem to have been playing things incorrectly.

I have a computer running Windows 7 at the moment. It is 3 years old and still on its original install.

In all fairness, I never used Windows 7, and I've heard it is pretty good. The follies I was talking about were trying to deal with DOS 5.1 through DOS 6.22, and Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 2000, and XP.
iMacFarlane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:46 PM   #17
NZPilgrim
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occamsrazr View Post
I plan to buy an iMac for gaming because I only play blizzard games. Assuming the 2012 iMac can play Diablo 3 on max settings, I will be perfectly happy to use my mac for gaming. I also use it for managing family photos, music, and our iphones and ipad. I can't even imagine bringing a PC into the happy "it just works" mac universe. Right now, everything syncs perfectly, time machine works (and has saved my ass several times), and I never get any viruses.

That's why someone would buy an iMac for gaming.
Given that the current 2011 27" iMac had no problems with the Diablo 3 open beta at native resolution and max settings (barring shadows which were set to medium) I imagine the 2012 model will be fine
__________________
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
NZPilgrim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:02 AM   #18
dr Dunkel
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
In all fairness, I never used Windows 7, and I've heard it is pretty good. The follies I was talking about were trying to deal with DOS 5.1 through DOS 6.22, and Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 2000, and XP.
I feel a bit sorry for you :-) I think Bill should be dragged to Haag for Win 95-2000.

Windows 7 is, as far as I'm concerned, the first really good version. No more "reinstall every other month".
dr Dunkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:10 AM   #19
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr Dunkel View Post
I feel a bit sorry for you :-) I think Bill should be dragged to Haag for Win 95-2000.

Windows 7 is, as far as I'm concerned, the first really good version. No more "reinstall every other month".
In fairness I never needed to reinstall XP either.

This whole thing of having to frequently reinstall Windows is a myth. It is akin to a mechanic replacing the engine in a car because the fan-belt snapped. Yes, it fixes the problem but it isn't a clever way of dealing with it.
Sue De Nimes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Dunnowhattodo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
In fairness I never needed to reinstall XP either.

This whole thing of having to frequently reinstall Windows is a myth. It is akin to a mechanic replacing the engine in a car because the fan-belt snapped. Yes, it fixes the problem but it isn't a clever way of dealing with it.
I've had this computer for 3 years, and have reinstalled Windows twice, (Windows 7) but that was my own choice due to wanting to get rid of all the junk that accumulates over the years, but I'm sure OSX has junk accumulating (ie, programs you've installed that you no longer use etc).
Dunnowhattodo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
There are programs that will clean all that stuff for you without needing to reinstall windows.

I use CCleaner which will uninstall apps and tidy your registry for you. All in a 1 click style-ee
Sue De Nimes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:34 PM   #22
Occamsrazr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I just use Mac OSX. It obviates the registry.
Occamsrazr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:36 AM   #23
bottleneck
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCFX View Post
7970m will not be equivalent to a 580 desktop card, more like better then the 580m but not as good as the 580 desktop card considering one is mobile GPU and the other full on desktop gpu with higher clock speeds, shaders and all that shenanigans.

At least as far as I know, here as some benchmarks for the desktop cards for Battlefield 3 - 2560x1600 Ultra Settings.
The 7970M is a downclocked 7870 desktop card. That would mean around 33fps for a maxed out BF3 on 2560 x 1600.

I guess on a 2560 x 1440 iMac with medium settings you should get decent frames at the native resolution.

We'll see.
bottleneck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:01 AM   #24
henrikrox
macrumors 65816
 
henrikrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Yep all mobile gpus is just downclocked desktop variants.

The good thing though is that the amd 7 series gpu overclocks like crazy, so if we could overclock the 6970m with about 10% i wouldnt be suprised if we managed 15% on the new 7970m as long as the PSU will hold up.
__________________
15,4" rMBP, 2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Geforce GT650M, 512GB SSD.
henrikrox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:18 AM   #25
Murtagh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCFX View Post
7970m will not be equivalent to a 580 desktop card, more like better then the 580m but not as good as the 580 desktop card considering one is mobile GPU and the other full on desktop gpu with higher clock speeds, shaders and all that shenanigans.

At least as far as I know, here as some benchmarks for the desktop cards for Battlefield 3 - 2560x1600 Ultra Settings.
You are incorrect. The 7970m > 580 (yes the 580 not the 580m)

http://amdfx.blogspot.com/2012/04/amd-7970m-mobile-monster-better-than.html
Murtagh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac for gaming nicolastzi iMac 7 Aug 28, 2013 04:29 AM
XP on iMac for Gaming nymets98 Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Mar 13, 2013 07:54 PM
Why gaming on iMac? Kev.LoveMac iMac 14 Dec 3, 2012 09:31 AM
iMac Gaming LegenHarry iMac 3 Nov 30, 2012 09:48 PM
iMac for gaming denisvj Mac and PC Games 13 Jul 8, 2012 09:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC