Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Roc P.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Long Island
Upgrading to Lion question.

Ok, so a friend of mine has an Aluminum iMac from 2008 I believe, running Leopard. I'm not sure of the exact specs but I am pretty sure it is capable of running Lion. My question is:

Does she HAVE to upgrade to Snow Leopard first so that she can then download Lion from the Mac App store and install it OR can she go to an Apple store and buy Lion on a thumb drive and install it over Leopard? Any info is appreciated, thank you!
Roc P. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc P. View Post
Ok, so a friend of mine has an Aluminum iMac from 2008 I believe, running Leopard. I'm not sure of the exact specs but I am pretty sure it is capable of running Lion. My question is:

Does she HAVE to upgrade to Snow Leopard first so that she can then download Lion from the Mac App store and install it OR can she go to an Apple store and buy Lion on a thumb drive and install it over Leopard? Any info is appreciated, thank you!
OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)
Quote:
To upgrade your Mac to OS X Lion, you must be running OS X Snow Leopard. If you have OS X v10.5 Leopard, purchase OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard now and install it on your Mac.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Roc P.
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Long Island
Well that about sums it up. I was hoping she could save the $30 for Snow Leopard and go straight to Lion. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Roc P. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:32 PM   #4
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Does the App Store check if you're running SL or does it check when you attempt installation? I know you can open the Lion install file and drill down to the ESDInstall.dmg, burn it to a USB drive or DVD and perform a clean install. I already had SL but as a developer had Lion so didn't have to go through the buying process.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:11 PM   #5
robgendreau
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
BTW, Apple has been giving away FREE Snow Leopard disks to MobileMe users so they can upgrade to SL and then to Lion. Check to see if she has MobileMe before you buy the disk (and maybe there are enough floating around you can buy one for cheap).

Rob
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Roc P.
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgendreau View Post
BTW, Apple has been giving away FREE Snow Leopard disks to MobileMe users so they can upgrade to SL and then to Lion. Check to see if she has MobileMe before you buy the disk (and maybe there are enough floating around you can buy one for cheap).

Rob
You're right, I have asked her if she is a MobilMe user though and she is not.
Roc P. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Roc P.
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Long Island
What is really frustrating is that I called my local Apple store to see if they had Snow Leopard in stock and they told me yes. I go down there and they don't have it in stock, it is only available online. I wanted to avoid this but I am ready to just use my own Snow Leopard disc to upgrade her and then she can just buy Lion herself through the Mac App store. We'll see. She might changer her mind about upgrading altogether anyway.
Roc P. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:37 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc P. View Post
I am ready to just use my own Snow Leopard disc to upgrade her
If you're talking about the grey install disk that came with your Mac, that won't work. The grey install discs that come with Macs are model-specific and will not work on other models.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Roc P.
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If you're talking about the grey install disk that came with your Mac, that won't work. The grey install discs that come with Macs are model-specific and will not work on other models.
Nah it's a disc I bought at Apple for $29 however I don't know if it's specific for MacBook's only or if it can be used on her iMac also. It's also wrong and violates the license agreement so I don't think I'll do it.
Roc P. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:58 AM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc P. View Post
Nah it's a disc I bought at Apple for $29 however I don't know if it's specific for MacBook's only or if it can be used on her iMac also. It's also wrong and violates the license agreement so I don't think I'll do it.
The retail version works on any Mac model, but you're right about the license agreement. Are you still running Snow Leopard on your Mac, or have you upgraded to Lion? If you're on Lion, you no longer have Snow Leopard on your computer. You could sell or give your SL disk to her and since her Mac would be the only one with that copy of SL installed, it shouldn't violate the license agreement.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Roc P.
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The retail version works on any Mac model, but you're right about the license agreement. Are you still running Snow Leopard on your Mac, or have you upgraded to Lion? If you're on Lion, you no longer have Snow Leopard on your computer. You could sell or give your SL disk to her and since her Mac would be the only one with that copy of SL installed, it shouldn't violate the license agreement.
Yeah, I upgraded my MacBook to Lion, so I have no use for it anyway. My iMac came with Lion and my PPC iMac can't go past Leopard. You make a good point about if she's the only one running this copy of SL it still isn't violating the license agreement. Not to mention she would only be running it for a few hours because the intention is to upgrade to Lion anyway.
Roc P. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion: Installation Failed anishf1 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Dec 2, 2012 12:26 PM
Upgrading from Lion to Mountan Lion with Bootcamp MacKey76 Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 3 Nov 19, 2012 02:26 PM
Question about upgrading from Lion to ML Dirtyharry50 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 8 Oct 19, 2012 08:45 AM
Upgrading to Mountain Lion before installing Lion Muffin87 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 6 Jul 25, 2012 05:33 PM
upgrading to mountain lion question RH5 MacBook Pro 8 Jul 25, 2012 09:45 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC