Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Actually, it was not my iPhone, but that of a child of a friend of mine. I go to their house, and they ask me about locating the lost phone because I advise them about iCloud, etc. We locate the phone in a place suggesting that someone found it and took it there, apparently in a small apartment block. The big brother wants to go there and demand the iPhone back. I hesitate, and we have other immediate plans, but I suggest the phone company be contacted to avoid long distance charges. We get back a few hours later and learn that the phone has now been disabled by the phone company, and they indicate there have been bad experiences reported by people who have tried to demand their iPhones back. The phone company said the only thing done with the phone was that a few text messages were sent out-of-country, and I thought that since the closest thing to the last location of the phone on the map was a set of mailboxes, I wouldn't be surprised if the phone was on its way out of the country as well. I am no longer able to trace the disabled phone, but the next day I put a note on the dumpster at the apartment block with my number on it.

So did I take the right course? One problem was I needed to leave within a few minutes of locating the phone, and I didn't have much chance to think about it.

Sulten

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
most would of called the cops and gone there with them. have them sort it out and possible get the phone back. problem is your delayed and now its disabled..

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
most would of called the cops and gone there with them. have them sort it out and possible get the phone back. problem is your delayed and now its disabled..
And knock on all the 8-10 doors in the apartment block?

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
And was I too concerned about long-distance charges, or could I have waited until the next day to call the phone company, or the police.

----------

while using FMi to have the iPhone in question play a sound or display a text message. :rolleyes:
When I'm there at each door with the police.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think it depends largely where you live if the police are going to do anything for you. We have heard stories of police tracking a phone, and we have heard stories of police advising you to file a report and that's that. I would start with the police, but there i no guarantee that this will get you anywhere. The next best thing is to put up a message on the phone with a number to contact.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
I'm thinking now that if I would have set up an iCloud linked account on the family iMac with iMessages, I would have been able to read the text messages that were sent out, and texted them back, if that would have helped.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm thinking now that if I would have set up an iCloud linked account on the family iMac with iMessages, I would have been able to read the text messages that were sent out, and texted them back, if that would have helped.

What would that accomplish, exactly?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
ummm you would be amazed how accurate the location tracking is....99% of the time my iPhone is within 3m....at least here in Canada.....when I am connected to my WiFi....my router is located in the centre of the house...we have two located in the centre on each floor and my iPhone shows it being in my room instead of just showing the location of the house.....if you keep zooming in it can show you quiet close.....best thing to do for anyone in the future who is reading this if you can/want to call the Police, Go with them, keep zooming in on the location and soon you will be able to locate it at its exact spot (99% I would say) then knock on the door, immediately if/when someone comes to door and police question only then activate the sound on the iPhone....because if you be stupid enough to play sound in advance you will most likely end up alerting the person and giving them heads up to prepare to be confronted but no one would expect the sound to be playing at the last minute.....thats just what I would do in such a situation and I hope it helps someone

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012

Only if it was being sent to another iPhone. If it was sent as a text, you ain't seeing that in iMessage unfortunately.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The phone was stolen. You got lucky and were able to track it for a brief period. U knew where it was and chose not to call the cops, or to go there. What else are u expecting people to tell u? It's over now. The only chance u had is now gone. And yes, I would have brought an officer to each and every door.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The phone was stolen. You got lucky and were able to track it for a brief period. U knew where it was and chose not to call the cops, or to go there. What else are u expecting people to tell u? It's over now. The only chance u had is now gone. And yes, I would have brought an officer to each and every door.

I agree.
You could have tried the police, hopefully they would have knocked on a few doors for you.
Again it doesnt mean they would do that or even if they would if noone answered the door the cops would eventually go.
So besides that not much could have been done unless you want to risk trying to retrieve it back yourself and start a confrontation with strangers. It could have been any apartment in the building or maybe the person answering the door would have no idea what you're talking about and maybe called the cops on you for bothering them.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
What would that accomplish, exactly?

It would have given me another way to collect information about the situation, and maybe of communicating with the person who had the phone.

----------

Only if it was being sent to another iPhone. If it was sent as a text, you ain't seeing that in iMessage unfortunately.

OK, sounds reasonable. Collecting information that way would be unlikely.

----------

ummm you would be amazed how accurate the location tracking is....99% of the time my iPhone is within 3m....at least here in Canada.....when I am connected to my WiFi....my router is located in the centre of the house...we have two located in the centre on each floor and my iPhone shows it being in my room instead of just showing the location of the house.....if you keep zooming in it can show you quiet close.....best thing to do for anyone in the future who is reading this if you can/want to call the Police, Go with them, keep zooming in on the location and soon you will be able to locate it at its exact spot (99% I would say) then knock on the door, immediately if/when someone comes to door and police question only then activate the sound on the iPhone....because if you be stupid enough to play sound in advance you will most likely end up alerting the person and giving them heads up to prepare to be confronted but no one would expect the sound to be playing at the last minute.....thats just what I would do in such a situation and I hope it helps someone

Sounds good. We tried calling the phone to see if someone picked up, but got no answer. With your approach, we would not have tried sending a message with a contact number first either.

We watched it go back and forth a few times between the building and the parking lot, and last saw it under a tree. When I got to the area the next day, I could see the tree was on the other side of a wall, so that was inaccurate. I had called the people in the house on the other side of the wall before I went there, and they searched their backyard and found nothing.

----------

I was caught flat-footed, and I want to think it through again now so I'll have a better idea what to do next time. The older brother was really trying to convince me to take him there so he could confront them.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
The phone was initially lost by a kid in probably a high-traffic area, so it could easily have been picked up by another kid.

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Wow i would have just gone and got the phone back after all what's the point of finding the phone if your not going to recover it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It would have given me another way to collect information about the situation, and maybe of communicating with the person who had the phone.

And you're making the assumption that the phone was found and someone immediately went off to start sending texts back and forth from this strange number? :confused:

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
This is a technique I've advised a friend to try in the past and seen it work: it's worth a shot

You can send a message to a lost iPhone to display on the screen, and make it play a noise regardless of wether or not the sound is on. So send a message saying I know where you are and if you don't return the phone I will call the police. Then play a noise so their attention is brought to the phone. It may just freak them out enough to return it to you

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
your evidence (the phone) are gone not much you can do now. window of opportunity is gone so unless they confess to having it you are sol. sorry. I'd fill out a police report if you haven't that's about all you can do.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The phone company said there were several texts sent.

I guess I missed the out of country texts in the original post. Unfortunately iMessage wouldn't do anything for you here, HOWEVER, you should be able to get a record of the number where the messages were sent. Not sure that would get you anywhere, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
So I'm hearing two approaches.

1: Assume the people are good and just made a mistake in picking up the iPhone when they had the chance. Send them a message over Find-My-iPhone and somehow arrange to get it back. But there were contact numbers in the address book where they could have called if they had wanted to make the effort to try to find the owner. And there is a chance they're illegal aliens (because of the out-of-country text messages) and would want to avoid any kind of trouble or contact.

(On the note I posted on the dumpster I mentioned the option of taking the phone to a nearby store, thus allowing them to avoid any contact with me personally.)

2: Assume the people are bad. Call the police. Give no advance notice over Find-My-iPhone, and if the police are willing, go knock on doors, ready to trigger a sound on the phone.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Many kids are tech driven now, I would be surprised if they had not restore the iPhone to factory settings via iTunes already.

I believe it was lost for a few days before I found out about it, so it wasn't reset immediately.

If I would have realized that contacting the phone company would result in losing the ability to track the phone, I might have told them to just wait until I returned from my appointment before doing anything. But then I was concerned about phone charges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.