Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chellyroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
My Outlook 2011 puts a huge space between my signature & the preceeding email that I am responding to. I know this is irritating for anyone receiving an eamil from me if they need to scan down to their email for some reason. is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My Outlook 2011 puts a huge space between my signature & the preceeding email that I am responding to. I know this is irritating for anyone receiving an eamil from me if they need to scan down to their email for some reason. is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

This is a common issue with Office 2007/2010 as well on Windows.
You could try opening up the signature within Outlook to be edited (directly in Outlook, not in Word) and remove the spaces.

But you should try this first:

Close Office 2011/2010 (whichever suite you're using).
Find the default template for Word & Emails (html-based) = usually Normal.dot(x) or NormalEmail.dot(x).
- save what you want to put in a Signature - plain txt, then delete the signature.

When you launch MS Word it'll rebuild Normal.dot(x) file.
close
When you launch a new email it'll rebuild NormalEmail.dot(x)
Close the new email.
Now create a new signature, from within Outlook (ensure double-spacing, font size, font colour, bold/italics/underline - whatever you need is basic.
Test the signature input - if its too your liking, then create a NEW signature (keeping the new one just above) and add what you require to be special with it. Test that.

Cheers.

chellyroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
If you have excess formatting in your signature this might be part of the problem. Without more details it's difficult to help you.

I;m not sure what you need to know, or what constitutes "excess formatting"...if you can tell me what you need to know (& how to find the info if it's anything more than remedial ) I'll be glad to supply that info! :)

----------

This is a common issue with Office 2007/2010 as well on Windows.
You could try opening up the signature within Outlook to be edited (directly in Outlook, not in Word) and remove the spaces.

But you should try this first:

Close Office 2011/2010 (whichever suite you're using).
Find the default template for Word & Emails (html-based) = usually Normal.dot(x) or NormalEmail.dot(x).
- save what you want to put in a Signature - plain txt, then delete the signature.

When you launch MS Word it'll rebuild Normal.dot(x) file.
close
When you launch a new email it'll rebuild NormalEmail.dot(x)
Close the new email.
Now create a new signature, from within Outlook (ensure double-spacing, font size, font colour, bold/italics/underline - whatever you need is basic.
Test the signature input - if its too your liking, then create a NEW signature (keeping the new one just above) and add what you require to be special with it. Test that.

Cheers.

I appreciate your very detailed repsonse! However I haven't the slightest idea how to find the template you are talking about. If there is a simple way to explain the steps more clearly I will try it. Just imagine you are explaining to a 5 year old :)

chellyroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012

I got it fixed! I just went to the Edit Signatures, and then to as far down in the box as I could (there was a lot of space after my sig) & deleted until the cursor was up to my sig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.