Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:35 AM   #1
aliensarecool
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
my JB'd 4s on 5.0.1...is messed up...can i restore back to 5.0.1?

and rejailbreak? a glitchy cydia tweak started it all...i tried getting cydia back for a while, the most i can get it the icon, but it won't open.


if i restore do i have to go to 5.1? i wanna stay JB'd so if i have to keep my phone how it is now with its current cydia downloads then i will...it just sucks that i don't have cydia, or able to check for updates.


anyway to start over? suggestions?
aliensarecool is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:27 AM   #2
Mess
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Use iFaith.

If you dont know what it is, google it. Its self explanitory once you find it.
Mess is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:14 AM   #3
aliensarecool
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Wirelessly posted

Cool. Will it redo everything or just bring cydia and all the required files back?
aliensarecool is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:29 AM   #4
jredecop
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Use iFaith.

If you dont know what it is, google it. Its self explanitory once you find it.
Don't think this works on iPhone 4s, nothing does now.
jredecop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:19 AM   #5
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Have you tried booting while depressing the volume up button ?
If it puts you in safe mode, try Cydia to see if it runs
Remove whatever you installed.
__________________
iPhone 6+ iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:56 PM   #6
aliensarecool
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard View Post
Have you tried booting while depressing the volume up button ?
If it puts you in safe mode, try Cydia to see if it runs
Remove whatever you installed.
is it the same as doing reboot from sbsettings to safemode?

i have the cydia icon but i think everything that is needed to make cydia work is missing. idk. as soon as i click cydia it opens for .5 seconds then closes
aliensarecool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Use iFaith.

If you dont know what it is, google it. Its self explanitory once you find it.
That doesnt work on a 4S.
Currently there is no way to restore a 4S to firmware that Apple no longer signs. Even with Shsh blobs.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:32 PM   #8
aliensarecool
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
all i want is cydia... no way to do so? i've tried reccomendations on here but it didn't work



anyways to get that loader that i originally had when i JB to get cydia back
aliensarecool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:35 PM   #9
war eagle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensarecool View Post
all i want is cydia... no way to do so? i've tried reccomendations on here but it didn't work



anyways to get that loader that i originally had when i JB to get cydia back
Just run the jailbreak again over your existing jailbreak.
war eagle is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:08 AM   #10
aliensarecool
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by war eagle View Post
Just run the jailbreak again over your existing jailbreak.
says 'device already JB'd'
aliensarecool is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:28 AM   #11
brsboarder
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Easiest thing to do is SSH into your iPhone, download cydia from the inter webs and install it that way and make sure you clean up anything thats messed up.

Right now you can't restore to 5.01
brsboarder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:34 AM   #12
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensarecool View Post
says 'device already JB'd'
Run redsn0w
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:49 AM   #13
aliensarecool
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brsboarder View Post
Easiest thing to do is SSH into your iPhone, download cydia from the inter webs and install it that way and make sure you clean up anything thats messed up.

Right now you can't restore to 5.01

idk if anything is messed up, i was wandering how to get that all back to where it should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Run redsn0w
i tried so i could just 'install cydia' but it says flip VPN and nothng happens
aliensarecool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:58 AM   #14
breezyf808
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Do what applejuiced said

If u updated mobile substrate then u'll be able to put phone in safe mode.
In safe mode just delete the most recent or random tweak.
It happened to me couple days ago and found the culprit. (vuzio)
I guess that app didn't function well and also added the YouTube faster stream tweak. And some random siri functions, vuzio didn't seem to play nice with Siri calling functions.
Well hopefully u got it out of looping as I did, and don't resort in upgrade firmware.
breezyf808 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 08:52 AM   #15
iFix
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
what happens if you "Erase All Content and Setting' from iphone setting reset option? would that restore iphone without updating to 5.1 and then jailbreak again?
iFix is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 08:57 AM   #16
DeftwillP
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifix View Post
what happens if you "erase all content and setting' from iphone setting reset option? Would that restore iphone without updating to 5.1 and then jailbreak again?
don't do this.
DeftwillP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 09:05 AM   #17
iFix
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeftwillP View Post
don't do this.
what would happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxHGCt9tlQo
iFix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFix View Post
what happens if you "Erase All Content and Setting' from iphone setting reset option? would that restore iphone without updating to 5.1 and then jailbreak again?

You can do an erase all on a JB device on 5.0 and above but it wont do anything and wont delete nothing.

Last edited by Applejuiced; May 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 03:15 PM   #19
teotuf
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
No, that will get you stuck on the apple boot screen and you will need to DFU restore to the latest firmware.
You cant do an erase all on a JB device.
It will get stuck.
false - this is no longer true for jailbroken iOS 5.

instead, it will show the spinning wheel for eternity, until you force a reboot which will bring back to your current jailbroken state, as if nothing has happened.
teotuf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 03:32 PM   #20
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by teotuf View Post
false - this is no longer true for jailbroken iOS 5.

instead, it will show the spinning wheel for eternity, until you force a reboot which will bring back to your current jailbroken state, as if nothing has happened.
My bad, Im stupid.
You were 100% right on this one. I had no idea.

Last edited by Applejuiced; May 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:04 PM   #21
teotuf
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yeah ok
You go for it then try to do an erase all on a JB ios5.
i did, multiple times, when the 5.0.1 signing was still open to explore different ways of "restoring" without using itunes in case something goes wrong (i'm on the 4S). it gets stuck on the spinning wheel right after and a simple hard reset (hold power + home) turns it back as if nothing has happened. It's just like the OTA upgrades - it reaches an error before it can do anything to actually harm your iphone and gets stuck there.

if you are going to be so condescending, at least make sure you have tried it yourself and know that you are correct.

i also tried the "reset all settings" option instead of the "erase all contents and settings", which does exactly what you expect it to do - except it erases the settings from most of your jailbroken apps as well (e.g. things like springtomize or SBSettings settings, but not assigned Activator gestures).

The only 2 "problems" i noticed are:

1) some paid cydia apps license gets erased - so you need to go in cydia and reinstall those apps to restore usability. and

2) WeeTrackData's data usage history gets messed up - and it apparently only reloads the "Downloaded" data and not the "Uploaded" from /var/mobile/Media/WeeTrackData/WeeTrackData.plist, which is kinda annoying because even though you can fix the total by adding initial data offset, you can't get the correct download/upload stats until the next month.

As for the OP's problem with cydia, if you have MobileTerminal or SSH or iFile, you can download cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb, put it in root, and use terminal and login as root/alpine (or whatever your password is) and type "dpkg -i cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb" to install it.

if you don't have any of those means to install a .deb file, you can follow instructions here WORD FOR WORD, to fix cydia.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...4&postcount=52
Attached Files
File Type: zip cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.zip (705.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by teotuf; May 1, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
teotuf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:06 PM   #22
aliensarecool
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by teotuf View Post
i did, multiple times, when the 5.0.1 signing was still open to explore different ways of "restoring" without using itunes in case something goes wrong (i'm on the 4S). it gets stuck on the spinning wheel right after and a simple hard reset (hold power + home) turns it back as if nothing has happened. It's just like the OTA upgrades - it reaches an error before it can do anything to actually harm your iphone and gets stuck there.

if you are going to be so condescending, at least make sure you have tried it yourself and know that you are correct.

i also tried the "reset all settings" option instead of the "erase all contents and settings", which does exactly what you expect it to do - except it erases the settings from most of your jailbroken apps as well (e.g. things like springtomize or SBSettings settings, but not assigned Activator gestures).

The only 2 "problems" i noticed are:

1) some paid cydia apps license gets erased - so you need to go in cydia and reinstall those apps to restore usability. and

2) WeeTrackData's data usage history gets messed up - and it apparently only reloads the "Downloaded" data and not the "Uploaded" from /var/mobile/Media/WeeTrackData/WeeTrackData.plist, which is kinda annoying because even though you can fix the total by adding initial data offset, you can't get the correct download/upload stats until the next month.

As for the OP's problem with cydia, if you have MobileTerminal or SSH or iFile, you can download cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb, put it in root, and use terminal and login as root/alpine (or whatever your password is) and type "dpkg -i cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb" to install it.

if you don't have any of those means to install a .deb file, you can follow instructions here WORD FOR WORD, to fix cydia.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...4&postcount=52

but i think i'm missing more than cydia...like other files it needs..i can get the cydia icon but when i click it it'll start to open then close and take me back to the home screen/spingboard or whatever
aliensarecool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:24 PM   #23
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teotuf View Post
i did, multiple times, when the 5.0.1 signing was still open to explore different ways of "restoring" without using itunes in case something goes wrong (i'm on the 4S). it gets stuck on the spinning wheel right after and a simple hard reset (hold power + home) turns it back as if nothing has happened. It's just like the OTA upgrades - it reaches an error before it can do anything to actually harm your iphone and gets stuck there.

if you are going to be so condescending, at least make sure you have tried it yourself and know that you are correct.
I'm gonna try it later on my i4 with 5.0.1 but either way it's hard to trust someone that comes out with something like that with 2-3 posts that just registered.
Doesn't sound right but I will post back....
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 11:07 PM   #24
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teotuf View Post
i did, multiple times, when the 5.0.1 signing was still open to explore different ways of "restoring" without using itunes in case something goes wrong (i'm on the 4S). it gets stuck on the spinning wheel right after and a simple hard reset (hold power + home) turns it back as if nothing has happened. It's just like the OTA upgrades - it reaches an error before it can do anything to actually harm your iphone and gets stuck there.
Wow, you were right
I'd like to appologize to the user above.
Just with so many new people latelly posting stuff that they have no idea about or guessing and giving bad info to others I lost faith.
So just to make it clear his post above is spot on.
I used my old spare i4 JB on 5.0.1, clicked the erase all content and was stuck at the spinning wheel. Left it there for 10-15 and it didnt go any further.
Then held the home and power button and came back on like nothing happened still JB and the way it was.
Nothing was deleted either just so others can learn cause Im sure there's plenty that still think the "erase all" will get you stuck like it always did for years. Well with 5.0+ and higher it doesnt mess up anything if you press it by accident.
Thank you.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:53 AM   #25
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Wow, you were right
I'd like to appologize to the user above.
Just with so many new people latelly posting stuff that they have no idea about or guessing and giving bad info to others I lost faith.
So just to make it clear his post above is spot on.
I used my old spare i4 JB on 5.0.1, clicked the erase all content and was stuck at the spinning wheel. Left it there for 10-15 and it didnt go any further.
Then held the home and power button and came back on like nothing happened still JB and the way it was.
Nothing was deleted either just so others can learn cause Im sure there's plenty that still think the "erase all" will get you stuck like it always did for years. Well with 5.0+ and higher it doesnt mess up anything if you press it by accident.
Thank you.
Hey AJ, yes, a new learning curve for us old guys.
I knew this happened on 4S, but not an iPhone4.
Thanks for the confirmation.
__________________
iPhone 6+ iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I really messed up this one. [can't restore menu bar] dukefam OS X Mavericks (10.9) 11 Jan 8, 2014 01:28 PM
iPad: Backup/restore apps messed up bww iPad 3 Dec 20, 2013 11:16 AM
iPhone 4 Restore/Back-Up (revert back to older iOS) cl6120 iPhone 2 Aug 1, 2013 04:51 PM
I messed up new JB. Is a full restore my only option? Fish7 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Feb 6, 2013 04:29 PM
Restore or back-up? Marco123 iPhone 3 Sep 12, 2012 07:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC