Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:55 PM   #1
tazmiffy
macrumors newbie

iMessage - No Easy Way to Add Contact?

Hey All,

Looks like iMessage seems to have a fatal flaw.... if you just type someones AppleID in and message them, there is no easy way to add that email to a contact card....

If you do go into the contacts application though and add it there then it will appear in iMessage as the contacts name...

Interesting feature left out there.....

Thoughts??

Multitasking is working so seamless on iPad 2

Cheers,
MiFFy
tazmiffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:02 PM   #2
ZepFloyd
macrumors member

havent messed with iMessage yet, but yea i feared that might happen. the next update they should look at add a button and possibly even a list where you can add/have separate iMessage contacts listed. something like BBM, where you can add people without incorporating them with your other family/friends contacts. if that makes sense...
ZepFloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:09 PM   #3
tazmiffy
macrumors newbie

Yeah I am shocked there is no contacts integration. Do test it though. Works seamlessly..... Going to make its devices even stronger for communication purposes.....
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:21 PM   #4
ru4real
macrumors member

I don't understand your problem...

If I iMessage someone that isn't already in my Contacts, I can go to the top of that iMessage conversation, hit Add Contact and then either Create New Contact or Add to Existing Contact.

What am I missing?
ru4real is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:24 PM   #5
ZepFloyd
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4real View Post
I don't understand your problem...

If I iMessage someone that isn't already in my Contacts, I can go to the top of that iMessage conversation, hit Add Contact and then either Create New Contact or Add to Existing Contact.

What am I missing?
just tried iMessage out and this is true. though like i mentioned, it adds the contact to your contacts list right? meaning along with everyone else in your phone, wouldnt it be nice to just have a list of all iMessage people? for instance you add people from the forums or wherever, and that way you arent scrolling through all your other contacts to find certain iMessage buddies/friends.
ZepFloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:24 AM   #6
tazmiffy
macrumors newbie

My apologies.....

I have no idea what went wrong. My iMessage seems to contain some bugs.... When I pressed the contact button at the top right I only had options to contact that person via different ways. There was no "Add to contacts"

I rebooted and now it's there. Strange.

Has anyone else experienced the keyboard disappearing as well? Quitting and relaunching the application resolves.....
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:23 PM   #7
ozaz
macrumors 6502a

I've just upgraded to iOS5 and received an imessage from someone not in my contacts app. I can't see any add contact button to add their phone number to my contacts. Following the last post, I tried restarting my phone but this did not cause an add contact button to appear.

The imessage I have received is a group message in case that is relevant.
ozaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Starwheel
macrumors newbie

My friend and I both have each other in Contacts but when I try to Message her, the error message says her AppleID isnt registered with iMessage. But she is able to send and receive to her other friends. How can I fix this?
Starwheel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier