Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider points to a recent Apple patent which describes a "wireless touch-screen remote control concept that would automatically discover and communicate with existing and future consumer electronics appliances as well as the personal computer"

The patent was filed in April 2002 and describes a device which "discovers" potential devices to be controlled by the remote. Each device (such as a DVD player or iTunes app) need only be discovered once. A special XML interface would provide the remote with the interface controls to each individual device. Such technology would allow the remote to be truly "universal" without needing any prior knowledge of the device to be controlled.

Such a system would require standardization amongst electronics manufacturers to incorporate this "discoverable" remote control system to become useful.

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
sounds cool. theres gotta be something more though, Apple wouldn't just release a remote control and thats it ?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Finally! Is this the next step for "Bonjour", to move beyond the PC? I wonder what OS this remote is going to be running on, to be rendering custom UI controls in real-time. Maybe Java? Interesting that Java (Micro) was the platform that was supposed to provide this kind of universal appliance communication technology, but it never really happened as envisioned. Perhaps Apple can finally make it work.

G-Funk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Miami , FL
I hope that is would be a passage way to new an innovative technology from apple. as it always gave us :cool:

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
If they could get manufacturers on board then we would eventually be able to control these devices with any Bluetooth enabled computer, not just this foreseen remote.

i_b_joshua

fratrow

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
Now... does this sound like the return of Woz?... Remember CL9? Woz's universal remote control?

Hmmm...

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I like this concept, but what motivation would other companies have to change how their remotes currently work?

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
HiRez said:
Finally! Is this the next step for "Bonjour", to move beyond the PC? I wonder what OS this remote is going to be running on, to be rendering custom UI controls in real-time. Maybe Java? Interesting that Java (Micro) was the platform that was supposed to provide this kind of universal appliance communication technology, but it never really happened as envisioned. Perhaps Apple can finally make it work.
I agree. Apple invented Bonjour to make things like this possible, hopefully this is an actual in-progress product, rather than a "preventative" patent.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
iTunes movie store?

If there's an iTunes movie store in development -- and, come on, there is -- Apple is going to have to figure out a way to get it on your TV. When the rumors surfaced several months ago that Apple was going to buy Tivo, I thought (if true) it was part of Apple's strategy to get content on your TV.

Is this the remote for Apple's own PVR/downloaded movie player?

fratrow

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
You'll have one... in the spring of 2007...

;)

kaada said:
What about concentrating on making computers for a while... All I want is a kick ass portable... :(

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
In order to automate discovery and the transfer of user interface controls from third party appliances to the remote, the designer, Alberto Vidal of Los Gatos, Calif., called for a combination of Bluetooth wireless technology, markup languages like XML, and protocols such as HTTP. In one example provided by the filing, interface controls would be delivered from the appliances to the remote via XML tags.
How many of you have Bluetooth enabled TVs, VCRs, HiFis, etc.?

This is a truly remarkable and fantastic concept, and would work with your Mac, but until Bluetooth (or another short range networking protocol using radio) has become some kind of de facto standard I don't see a widespread application for it (remember almost all remote controls today use IR, and IrDA is not suited for this kind of scheme).

But sometime, in the near future, it would be nice to replace all the remotes with one (that doesn't, like the current universal remotes, have "hundreds" of buttons) which also could control iTunes. :)

kaada

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2005
Stavanger, Norway
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
The portables are, probably, the first ones to make the switch (along with the mini and perhaps eMac) so that might be spring 2006... ;)

Yeah... but will it be a high-end portable (PB) or an iBook..? Either way it will probably be controllable by an eventual Apple Remote.. :p

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
maybe this will come along with a new airport express with remote control capability. or maybe they'll kick it up and get it to stream video somehow (though on current 8002.11g I see that being difficult)

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
kaada said:
What about concentrating on making computers for a while... All I want is a kick ass portable... :(
I bought the first 17" PB... it's still Kick-Ass. If you need a computer, go buy one. They're really good.

Right now, Apple KNOWS that with the exposed info about their INTEL deal they need some stuff to keep generating the $$$ until the Macintels come out in Mid-2006. How about letting them?

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
cubist said:
There's the answer to the design patent, which everyone was so eager to call a tablet. Tablets, phooey.
So you're thinking that what MR reported as a patent for a tablet computer, was just a patent for this remote? It was applied for as "Electronic device" not "Tablet Computer"...

Interesting. I suppose you may be right!

Attachments

• figure7_th.jpg
    figure7_th.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 4,537
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.