Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:30 PM   #1
crashnburn
macrumors regular

Exclamation 13.3" MacBook Pro not high resolution like MacBook Air? Any mod/hack for LCD upgrade?

13.3" MacBook Pro not high resolution like MacBook Air? Any mod/hack for LCD upgrade?

http://gizmodo.com/5771220/why-didnt...olution-screen

- I wonder if this has been discussed here? I am betting it has but I googled and did not find the thread
- Is there a way to upgrade/ replace/ hack the LCD/LED to the higher resolution panel from Mac Book Air or another panel of such size with higher resolution?
- Anyone do the above?

- Thoughts?
crashnburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
mzjin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
13.3" MacBook Pro not high resolution like MacBook Air? Any mod/hack for LCD upgrade?

http://gizmodo.com/5771220/why-didnt...olution-screen

- I wonder if this has been discussed here? I am betting it has but I googled and did not find the thread
- Is there a way to upgrade/ replace/ hack the LCD/LED to the higher resolution panel from Mac Book Air or another panel of such size with higher resolution?
- Anyone do the above?

- Thoughts?
Ugh. The panel from the Macbook Air is FAR worse than the "lower" resolution than the Pro.

To do so to gain a slight bit of resolution to sacrifice color gamut, viewing angles, and contrast is silly to say the least.
mzjin is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

The 11" MBA display gives me a headache and serious eyestrain; my 13" MBP does not.

And I'm not the only person with this problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

If the upcoming MBP refresh includes an MBA style display I'll be buying a previous generation MBP.
Mojo1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4
iMacC2D
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
- Anyone do the above?
Unfortunately, when I attempted to fit a MacBook Air 1440 x 900 display into a 13-inch MacBook Pro, the display simply wasn't recognised by the machine. The LVDS cable connectors are the same, but the signalling or pin arrangement must be different.
iMacC2D is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:53 AM   #5
crashnburn
macrumors regular

I am pre-dominantly interested in High Resolution machines. Higher Res on smaller size machines.

Its disappointing to hear that such nice machines 13.3" MBP & MBA lack the high res screens.
crashnburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:25 AM   #6
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
The 11" MBA display gives me a headache and serious eyestrain; my 13" MBP does not.

And I'm not the only person with this problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

If the upcoming MBP refresh includes an MBA style display I'll be buying a previous generation MBP.
No headaches, but I do get eye strain with the 13" MBA.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:18 AM   #7
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

Its time to release retina displays for notebooks. Its ridiculous that tablets and phones are getting them and notebooks are still stuck with substandard low resolution screens.
surjavarman is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:04 AM   #8
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
Its time to release retina displays for notebooks. Its ridiculous that tablets and phones are getting them and notebooks are still stuck with substandard low resolution screens.
When the technology is ready they will used in notebooks. There are many aspects that have to be accounted for.
Cost - would you buy one if it it added $500 to the cost of a laptop?
power requirements - would you buy one if your battery was reduced to 3 or 4 hours?
cooling requirements - would you buy one if you couldn't actually use a laptop on your lap because of how warm it gets?
gpu requirements - would you buy one if the frame-rate for video/games was limited to 15fps because that is the best the gpu could do?

It isn't as simple as just producing them and slapping them in.

Last edited by azentropy; Apr 30, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
azentropy is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:00 PM   #9
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjin View Post
To do so to gain a slight bit of resolution to sacrifice color gamut, viewing angles, and contrast is silly to say the least.
You can't make an absolute statement like that. For some people more resolution if more important then better color gamut, viewing angles, and contrast.

That is like saying that in all cases owning CDs is better than 192 Kbps MP3s.
ezramoore is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 08:09 AM   #10
skaertus
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
When the technology is ready they will used in notebooks. There are many aspects that have to be accounted for.
And isn't the technology ready yet?

Quote:
Cost - would you buy one if it it added $500 to the cost of a laptop?
Apple released a retina iPad with exactly the same price as the standard-resolution iPad (US$ 499). It didn't add US$ 500 to the cost of the iPad; and it won't add US$ 500 to the Mac either.

Quote:
power requirements - would you buy one if your battery was reduced to 3 or 4 hours?
The retina display consumes more battery, but Apple managed to keep the same battery life in the retina iPad. Why wouldn't it do the same with the Mac?

Quote:
cooling requirements - would you buy one if you couldn't actually use a laptop on your lap because of how warm it gets?
It indeed gets warm. But the new iPad is even thinner than a notebook and it can handle a retina display.

Quote:
gpu requirements - would you buy one if the frame-rate for video/games was limited to 15fps because that is the best the gpu could do?
Ivy Bridge is capable of retina resolutions. And the new AMD cards too. Games will take a long way before they support retina. They will run in standard resolutions (even if the OS uses higher resolutions - it's always happened this way) until video cards are able to support retina games.

Quote:
It isn't as simple as just producing them and slapping them in.
Yes, not as simple. But Apple may just be right there at this point.
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 09:03 AM   #11
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
And isn't the technology ready yet?
Apparently not, has anyone released a larger than 10" screen on anything with that high of DPI?

Quote:
Apple released a retina iPad with exactly the same price as the standard-resolution iPad (US$ 499). It didn't add US$ 500 to the cost of the iPad; and it won't add US$ 500 to the Mac either.
Right, by time it probably ships it it won't. But that was my point. If they tried to ship one two years ago it would have.

You have to look at scale and volume. Much harder to produce such a high DPI screen at 13, 15 and 17". Also the sheer volume of iPad screens help keep cost down.

Quote:
The retina display consumes more battery, but Apple managed to keep the same battery life in the retina iPad. Why wouldn't it do the same with the Mac?
Not quite. The new iPad does not have the same battery life as the iPad 2. For most things it is close, but if you look at some of the more detailed reviews it comes up way short. They also greatly increased the size of the battery to keep it close which also increased the weight. So then are you willing to live with a heavier MBP?

Quote:
Ivy Bridge is capable of retina resolutions. And the new AMD cards too. Games will take a long way before they support retina. They will run in standard resolutions (even if the OS uses higher resolutions - it's always happened this way) until video cards are able to support retina games.
Ivy Bridge was released/shipped just last week. So why is it "ridiculous" that Apple hasn't shipped notebooks with retina resolutions yet? Which was what the original post said.

Quote:
Yes, not as simple. But Apple may just be right there at this point.
Again, not saying that won't this round, although I don't think they will. But the original post commented that it was ridiculous that they haven't yet.
azentropy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro