Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Looks good, but why only USB2 connection?

Clearly, it was designed with the G5 PM in mind. I would think that they'd put FW on it (at least FW400) to keep the processor out of the data transfer loop -- that way there would be less heat and noise, the big G5 issues.

With USB, everything goes through the processor. I cringe to think how hot and loud a PM would get with 500GB of info going over USB.

Am I being a wet blanket? Let's hope for a FW800 update!

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
idea_hamster said:
Looks good, but why only USB2 connection?

Clearly, it was designed with the G5 PM in mind. I would think that they'd put FW on it (at least FW400) to keep the processor out of the data transfer loop -- that way there would be less heat and noise, the big G5 issues.

With USB, everything goes through the processor. I cringe to think how hot and loud a PM would get with 500GB of info going over USB.

Am I being a wet blanket? Let's hope for a FW800 update!

They sell them with FW800, they are just $60 more expensive. I went with these because of the $$ savings. Plus they look cool. But now you got me feeling bad about it. :(

Anyway, I have been using a 300gb Maxtor USB 2.0 drive now and I don't notice any slowdown but then again my G5 is maxed out.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Have you seen these?

Then again, that comes with the drives and you were looking at enclosures... :rolleyes: silly me...

What you got is probably cheaper anyway. Have fun with those

reality

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
realityisterror said:
Have you seen these?

Then again, that comes with the drives and you were looking at enclosures... :rolleyes: silly me...

What you got is probably cheaper anyway. Have fun with those

reality

Saw those but didn't like the legs on them. Plus way expensive but they have thicker aluminum so I bet they are alot sturdier. Just got six hardrives lying around and needed a cheap way of using them with a fan. I bought the OWC enclosure for a single drive and they suck. No air ventilation. Had a drive overheat in it so I run it with top off and it looks horrible. Been using that and swapping drives in and out of it for a while. Very happy to have found a nice looking dual drive enclosure that is stackable though.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
This enclosure looks alot like G-RAID from G-Technology. It also resembles a PowerMac case. Plus it has a realy fast FW 800 which that one is missing, and needs for it to be good RAID drive.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
MacTruck said:
They sell them with FW800, they are just $60 more expensive. I went with these because of the $$ savings. Plus they look cool. But now you got me feeling bad about it. :(
Hey, dude --
Don't feel bad from some junk I said -- you know what's important for you. You said you bought three, right? Man, that cost savings is almost a whole iPod Mini! :)

I note that lots of folks took some time out of their day to let me know that I had criticized a product with insufficient research. Thanks, all -- gotta stay humble. :D

That said, I might have to pick one of these up. I know someone with a couple of drives that are sitting in a desk drawer -- might make a good b'day gift.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
idea_hamster said:
Hey, dude --
Don't feel bad from some junk I said -- you know what's important for you. You said you bought three, right? Man, that cost savings is almost a whole iPod Mini! :)

I note that lots of folks took some time out of their day to let me know that I had criticized a product with insufficient research. Thanks, all -- gotta stay humble. :D

That said, I might have to pick one of these up. I know someone with a couple of drives that are sitting in a desk drawer -- might make a good b'day gift.

No problem. Didn't bother me. I had to hunt to find the FW800s myself. :)

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
DON'T GET THESE ENCLOSURES. They don't support LBA mode for large disks in Tiger on G5. Don't ask me why, specs say they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.