Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Ariii
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Which would be the best thing to do for my broken G4?

I'm using my clamshell iBook as my main computer right now, but there's some problems with AirPort, and I end up just having to plug it into my router, and no other solution worked. I think I want another computer to use, and since I'm planning to help develop this one Linux distro, my iBook has been really good for experimenting around and doing text editing. And I mostly use computers to write music and use the internet/IRC and a couple other things, but I think I might want another one to use as my main computer, and I have some problems with certain applications on mine. I had a very good G4 iBook until it got water damage, and I either want a G4 iBook or a G4 PowerBook (Probably Titanium). I really like the look and feel of Leopard, so having a computer with that would be great. I don't think many of the parts on my computer work, but I have the battery and charger, and I still have the keyboard and maybe the screen, probably a few other things would work as well. Should I try to revive my iBook using replacement parts or should I purchase a new computer?
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr

Last edited by Ariii; Apr 29, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:00 PM   #2
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000
 
tom vilsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ladner cdn
I would buy a nice G4 powerbook...i own or have owned clams,ibooks,powerbooks ect...and the pb are far and away the fastest....look for one of the 1.5/1.67GHz with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM,and max the ram to 2 gig's and you'll be flying...and as you like to do text editing you might wanna look at the 17" pb for the added 1440900 space or if you can find a good deal on one of the 1.67GHz 16801050....
tom vilsack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3
goMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
You're going to want as fast a G4 as possible for Leopard. I wouldn't use Leopard on anything less than a G4 1.25.
goMac is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Ariii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by goMac View Post
You're going to want as fast a G4 as possible for Leopard. I wouldn't use Leopard on anything less than a G4 1.25.
Mine was the 1.33 GHz model, and it worked well with Leopard.
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:21 PM   #5
goMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
Mine was the 1.33 GHz model, and it worked well with Leopard.
Right, that would rule out TiBooks. Fastest TiBook was a 1 ghz.
goMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Ariii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
So I'm sure I'll go with a PowerBook if I get a replacement, but I'm wondering... should I try to fix my old iBook? I see some parts/repair ones going for pretty cheap.

UPDATE: Actually, should I get a lime iBook? It had official support for Tiger, and I could sell mine in order to get one. I'm going to stick with mine for a little while until I can get it to 512 MB RAM, I think, and has a working battery.
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr

Last edited by Ariii; Apr 30, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Ariii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Bump.
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 09:01 PM   #8
rossmosis
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
What kind of tasks do you plan on doing? If you get a Lime, make sure it's the 466mhz model with FW and DVD, which can be pretty expensive for what it can actually do.
__________________
think: L512, X61t, T60, G40, T22, T20, A21m, X20, i1200, 770z, 390x, M55
different: G5: 2ghz DC. G4: 1ghz DP, 450, iMac 1.25. G3: 500mhz, Lombard, 466 Lime, Blueberry.
LCIII, Classic, SE, ][e
rossmosis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Ariii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmosis View Post
What kind of tasks do you plan on doing? If you get a Lime, make sure it's the 466mhz model with FW and DVD, which can be pretty expensive for what it can actually do.
Hmm.... it seems that their price is rising, so they might become antiques sometime soon... I mostly use my computers for writing science fiction in a format that I can actually submit to publishers (Most don't accept anything but digital submissions). I would like to pick up one of those G3 iMacs but the shipping costs way too much on eBay, and I can't really trust Craigslist. Also, I'm worried about the power consumption of the desktop computers. I want some kind of desktop to use as an iTunes jukebox/file server, and the Mac Minis hold their value. If the G4 Cubes weren't collectors items, I would definitely want one. I was thinking of getting a NorhTec MicroClient as one, but there's no used market for those. I like how the Key Lime models support Tiger officially, though...
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 10:54 PM   #10
rossmosis
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Yeah, the Tiger support is great. They play DVDs perfectly as well, which is pretty nice. If you can get past the low resolution, they are great if all you want to do is word processing and some extremely light web browsing. Definitely max the RAM to 576mb though. They have a lot more character than their dual USB younger siblings. I'd take a Key Lime over Snow simply because
of the need for sunglasses due to the extremely bright color.
__________________
think: L512, X61t, T60, G40, T22, T20, A21m, X20, i1200, 770z, 390x, M55
different: G5: 2ghz DC. G4: 1ghz DP, 450, iMac 1.25. G3: 500mhz, Lombard, 466 Lime, Blueberry.
LCIII, Classic, SE, ][e
rossmosis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 07:06 AM   #11
mike457
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ontario
If you are looking for a Cube, you should be able to get one for ca. $200. I bought one last year on eBay for that price. It will run Leopard, though it is slow (I like to think of it as "stately.") I also just bought a 12" G4 1.3 Powerbook on eBay for $65; beyond a slight dent in the case, it runs fine. How much are you looking to spend?
__________________
27" i7 iMac, mid 2010; Mini i5, 2011; iPad3; ATV3; iPhone 4; the Cube!
mike457 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 09:05 AM   #12
chrisperro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
I'm using my clamshell iBook as my main computer right now, but there's some problems with AirPort, and I end up just having to plug it into my router, and no other solution worked. I think I want another computer to use, and since I'm planning to help develop this one Linux distro, my iBook has been really good for experimenting around and doing text editing. And I mostly use computers to write music and use the internet/IRC and a couple other things, but I think I might want another one to use as my main computer, and I have some problems with certain applications on mine. I had a very good G4 iBook until it got water damage, and I either want a G4 iBook or a G4 PowerBook (Probably Titanium). I really like the look and feel of Leopard, so having a computer with that would be great. I don't think many of the parts on my computer work, but I have the battery and charger, and I still have the keyboard and maybe the screen, probably a few other things would work as well. Should I try to revive my iBook using replacement parts or should I purchase a new computer?
i have a g4 12" ibook broken for parts if u need any,only power supply,dvd drive and bottom case don't work and no airport. the rest is ok.
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 03:28 PM   #13
G51989
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
If you are considering desktops, why not a G5 tower? Dual 2.0? Dual 1.8? Dual 2.7 or a Quad 2.5?
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Ariii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisperro View Post
i have a g4 12" ibook broken for parts if u need any,only power supply,dvd drive and bottom case don't work and no airport. the rest is ok.
Sorry, I would if I did it through eBay or another trusted auction site, but for many reasons, I don't like to do things like that from MacRumors. Thanks for the offer, though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
If you are considering desktops, why not a G5 tower? Dual 2.0? Dual 1.8? Dual 2.7 or a Quad 2.5?
Hmm.... they have a great performance and are a good value, but I don't need that much power. Once I could afford one, they sound like a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmosis View Post
Yeah, the Tiger support is great. They play DVDs perfectly as well, which is pretty nice. If you can get past the low resolution, they are great if all you want to do is word processing and some extremely light web browsing. Definitely max the RAM to 576mb though. They have a lot more character than their dual USB younger siblings. I'd take a Key Lime over Snow simply because
of the need for sunglasses due to the extremely bright color.
And the Snow's display problems. I think I'll sell my Indigo and buy a Key Lime, then a high-end PowerBook later, and then get Leopard for it and max everything out. Does this sound like a good idea? Oh, and thanks for the help!
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 10:40 PM   #15
rossmosis
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I'm always pro-Key Lime! I have a 466 Key Lime and a 500mhz Snow and the Snow is plagued with GPU problems and it just isn't as fun to be on as the Key Lime. If you can find the 466 edition for a good price, jump on it! Even if you don't need it, they are getting pretty rare.
__________________
think: L512, X61t, T60, G40, T22, T20, A21m, X20, i1200, 770z, 390x, M55
different: G5: 2ghz DC. G4: 1ghz DP, 450, iMac 1.25. G3: 500mhz, Lombard, 466 Lime, Blueberry.
LCIII, Classic, SE, ][e
rossmosis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 10:25 PM   #16
Ariii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmosis View Post
I'm always pro-Key Lime! I have a 466 Key Lime and a 500mhz Snow and the Snow is plagued with GPU problems and it just isn't as fun to be on as the Key Lime. If you can find the 466 edition for a good price, jump on it! Even if you don't need it, they are getting pretty rare.
Thank you so much! Do most Key Limes look this good used, or could I get it to that condition easily?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iBook-Clamsh...item1c265b4876
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 01:27 PM   #17
ppcg4mac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Somewhere Else
You could do this.....
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/20/have-...-an-ipad-case/
ppcg4mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Can I upgrade from iOS 6.1.2 (jail broken) to iOS 6.1.6 (jail broken) on my iPad 3? Idgit Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 5 Apr 25, 2014 03:36 PM
Broken...thing jmj2014 Mac Basics and Help 1 Oct 9, 2013 12:13 PM
Inverter broken or LCD screen broken ? Macbook white A1181 Snappaz MacBook 7 Oct 5, 2012 08:18 AM
Post a picture of your broken/partially broken apple product Revomonster Picture Gallery 6 Aug 6, 2012 01:28 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC