Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:15 AM   #1
miamihacker
macrumors regular

MacBook pro trackpad problem

I have a MacBook and the trackpad started acting funny ( cursor moves erratically,scrolling won't work properly). When I clean and tap each corners the trackpad would work but every time I shut it down it would start acting crazy again. Any suggestion on how to fix this issue?*
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Have you checked the batteries? Also settings / keyboard and check your settings there....If that fails to correct the problem you may have a faulty TP.

I'd go with the batteries...The meter is notoriously inaccurate...Sometimes mine displays 100% just before the batteries die.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Macman756
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Macman756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Have you checked the batteries? Also settings / keyboard and check your settings there....If that fails to correct the problem you may have a faulty TP.

I'd go with the batteries...The meter is notoriously inaccurate...Sometimes mine displays 100% just before the batteries die.
Batteries?!? This is on a MacBook. OP, I'd check the tension screw under the battery, that's either really loose and not recording input, or was too tight and pinching the sensor.
Macman756 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
miamihacker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman756 View Post
Batteries?!? This is on a MacBook. OP, I'd check the tension screw under the battery, that's either really loose and not recording input, or was too tight and pinching the sensor.
Im trying both of the suggestion just to make sure.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihacker View Post
Im trying both of the suggestion just to make sure.
My bad...The trackpad on your Pro has no batteries obviously...If the screws are tight, then I'd get a genius to take a look....Sometimes dust or crud can get in underneath...It's rare, but it does happen.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
bambp
macrumors newbie

Solved

Just FYI -- I had the exact same problem. My MBP (2011 13'' i5) cursor would become erratic, right clicking, flicking between screens, and was often unresponsive to my actual input. It generally seemed that the trackpad was signaling inputs that weren't there, because when I would touch the trackpad with one finger it would respond as if I were using two, three or four.

I tried everything. I cleaned the trackpad, even removed it to ensure it wasn't sticking, all to no avail.

The only solution I found was to replace the trackpad. It's a super easy procedure and it's pretty cheap. I spent $40 (w/ shipping) for a trackpad and $2 for a tri-wing screwdriver.

So far, no erratic behavior. I think this is a problem with the MBP trackpads, since so many people have the same issue. Hopefully Apple recognizes the issue soon.
bambp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro