Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1
polliwog
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
early '09 2.4 macbook unibody won't keep time with battery out

I have begun using my macbook as just a desktop replacement a lot lately and recently removed the battery to conserve the cycle count numbers (the continous discharge/recharge to hopefully prolong its life a bit). Each time I start up I get a message saying my time/date is set before 2001 and how some programs might not behave properly. That is an understatement; as I get basic things that don't work at all. For example, airport. When I connect to the internet via my D-Link DIR-655, it contects, but local only with no internet access. Each time I reset the time, well it doesn't work again unless I restart my machine. And when I connect my WD My Book for Mac for the first half hour to 45 minutes I the drive access doesn't slow one bit, and uses continual processing power (at least 25-40%, while accessing the disk). I presume all of these are due to my date resetting back to ancient times. Is this normal when you remove the battery?
polliwog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by polliwog View Post
I have begun using my macbook as just a desktop replacement a lot lately and recently removed the battery to conserve the cycle count numbers (the continous discharge/recharge to hopefully prolong its life a bit).
Apple doesn't recommend running with the battery out and you'll lose performance if you do. Also, if you want to preserve battery life, your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. If you want your Mac to run properly, put your battery back in and use it the way it was designed.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:38 PM   #3
polliwog
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
You can read varying accounts about this. Some say that removing the battery is best for the health of it if you don't need its power, rather than trickle charging it automatically every few days or so when the level drops to below 97% of its capacity and then automatically starts trickle charging back to full. I thought there was another internal battery on the mainboard or something, like PCS have to retain BIOS settings/time, etc. But nobody even knows internals of macs to probably even comment on the existance of such.
polliwog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by polliwog View Post
You can read varying accounts about this. Some say that removing the battery is best for the health of it
Removing a battery (the removable kind) is only recommended if storing it for 6 months or more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polliwog View Post
rather than trickle charging it automatically every few days or so when the level drops to below 97% of its capacity
It doesn't charge until it drops below 93%. Read the Battery FAQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polliwog View Post
I thought there was another internal battery on the mainboard or something, like PCS have to retain BIOS settings/time, etc. But nobody even knows internals of macs to probably even comment on the existance of such.
That has nothing to do with your Mac's regular battery.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:05 AM   #5
polliwog
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Perhaps it is only best to remove it only in such extended time periods. But 93% discharge before automatic recharge? No way. With my machine it has always been 96% and trickle charging begins to top it off again. That little battery is separate from the main battery (if it even exists on a macbook's board) but at the least it should fulfill the same function as on a pc's motherboard, which would be to keep the system time and date...
polliwog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:12 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by polliwog View Post
Perhaps it is only best to remove it only in such extended time periods. But 93% discharge before automatic recharge?
Apple Portables: Battery may not show a full charge in Mac OS X
Quote:
The battery may appear to stop charging between 93 percent and 99 percent.
That won't hurt your battery. It's designed to be used with the battery in. Such small recharging will not harm it.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook Pro (early 2008) won't boot, then booted, now won't boot again. ruyen MacBook Pro 12 Dec 21, 2013 06:27 PM
15" (Early 2011) Unibody Macbook Pro display problem. bameronski MacBook Pro 1 Jul 22, 2013 11:13 AM
Maximum Life Battery? New Battery Needed For Late 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro PeteJames MacBook Pro 3 Sep 22, 2012 05:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC